U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 10:42 AM

14,487 posts, read 11,474,558 times

Advertisements

I had a sterling silver charm bracelet in the early 60s.... All I can remember is it catching on clothes and nylons and everyone knew you were arriving with the rattles of the damn thing..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 10:54 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,665,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebegonia View Post
Thinking of getting my 10 year old GD a charm type bracelet for xmas.
I'm a grandmother to an 8yo and I will not buy her jewelry until she's in her teens and has somewhere appropriate to wear it.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:57 AM

7,953 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm a grandmother to an 8yo and I will not buy her jewelry until she's in her teens and has somewhere appropriate to wear it.
To each their own. Some cultures give their infant children jewelry. IMO, "appropriateness" is not a consideration when it comes to jewelry. I can't think of what would be inappropriate about it.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:57 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
I love the classic sterlibg silver link charm bracelets best, though I've had Italian flat charms, Pandora ones, etc.

I love them, because they're ageless. The other two are passing fads.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:00 AM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
To each their own. Some cultures give their infant children jewelry. IMO, "appropriateness" is not a consideration when it comes to jewelry. I can't think of what would be inappropriate about it.
Yep. My daughter got a necklace for her baptism, at 3 months old. She wore it for that, and it'll be worn when she is older. At this point, it's a keepsake.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:15 AM

4,508 posts, read 1,898,701 times
One of my favorite pieces of jewelry was my charm bracelet. It started on a ski trip my boyfriend and I took and from then on, whenever we were away from home, he bought me a charm to commemorate that particular trip.

I simply don't know what happened to it. I wish I still had it.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:25 AM

7,953 posts, read 3,862,498 times
The one benefit that the Pandora has over the traditional charm bracelets is that they aren't as "tinkly" and noisy. Her teacher may thank you.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:28 PM

1,804 posts, read 772,436 times
If you like Pandora style, go to a Kay/Rodgers/JBR and do their Charmed Memories. Same concept, and many of the Pandora beads fit their bracelets and vice versa. They have sales where you spend 99$ you get a free bead. That would easily get you the bracelet, two of the stoppers and maybe 2 -3 beads depending what you pick out. They should have one of those coming up mid November for sure. Jared, which is the same company, has Pandora in their stores. I don't know if Pandora allows them to do the same sale on their bracelets or not, but worth checking out if you really want Pandora.

If you wanted to go the traditional route, any store can order in silver charms and they are typically cheaper than the beads. The main cost would be soldering them all on the bracelet if you wanted that extra security, which I would do for a kid, and honestly myself lol Some places these would have to be ordered in, so while it doesn't take long, give yourself time.

But I agree the perk of Pandora/charmed memories is that you can get beads that don't dangle.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:31 PM

3,119 posts, read 1,216,189 times
I think the pandora-style is a nice idea.
You could actually start with something inexpensive, then upgrade her as time goes by to larger size and better quality.

I have an old-fashioned charm necklace that my husband has "built" for me with many gifts over the years, and I love it.
I also have Pandora-style charms and beads that fit on bracelets, necklaces, and even earrings. I like that I can switch them out to go with a particular outfit.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 12,465,112 times
Aren't the young girls wearing leather or bangles now? I'd make sure your gd would really like having a charm bracelet before giving one to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty