U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 09:19 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,398,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebegonia View Post
Thinking of getting my 10 year old GD a charm type bracelet for xmas. I Kind of like the Pandora style over the conventional link type thinking less apt to catch on things. Also do not want to spend a fortune at this age level esp. for the bracelet itself since she will change size. Any suggestions? I was thinking of getting an initial charm of her initial -maybe a love from nana or grammy and maybe one with her birthstone. Think have to probably get what they call stop beads or something like that to keep them from moving around. Anyone understand what I am talking about?
Wow finally a tread I know something about.

I like charms braceletes.

Pandora is the most popular line.
Chamilla and persona are also nice... but not as globally popular.

I would suggest Pandora as the have better waranties, brand reputation and good quality.

I would suggest getting the classic barrel clasp.
I would also suggest you buy a safety chain and a clip to put at the end of the bracelete.
This ensure the bracelet does not fall off and the charms dont slide off.

I have a few gold and silver pandora charm braceletes. Some the charms clips cost up to $715 each so you want to keep them secure.

Depending on how picky you are you can buy this stuff re-sale at a fraction of the cost. Most pawn shops have them or you can get them on ebay and there is buyer protection so technically you can buy it. Take it in to the store to ensure it is real and if they say it is fake notify ebay and you will get your money and the cost of shipping back. It just might take a 1 or 2 weeks.

The craftmenship and quality of the jewelry is great.

I would not suggest getting her a lether bracelet as they can break and can lose the bracelete and the charms even with a safety chain.

I would suggest not getting the lobster clasp as they are not as strong.

Feel free to direct message me any questions. I seriously know almost all of their items and costs by heart lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 09:21 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Pandora bracelets are a fading fad. The problem is, the bracelet part itself is pretty unattractive until it's covered up with the beads, and the beads are expensive. The bracelets are also longer than normal because the beads are thick, so it will fall off a child's wrist. If you have it shortened, it won't hold many beads.

For a young girl, a pendant necklace or a ring, maybe with her birthstone or initial, would be a better choice.
I think this depends of where you are from.
Pandora is still really popular where I am from and in many many other places.
Every time they have a sale even though there are dozens of stores in my city there are huge waits to get in to the store.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:25 AM

Default Sizes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebegonia View Post
Thinking of getting my 10 year old GD a charm type bracelet for xmas. I Kind of like the Pandora style over the conventional link type thinking less apt to catch on things. Also do not want to spend a fortune at this age level esp. for the bracelet itself since she will change size. Any suggestions? I was thinking of getting an initial charm of her initial -maybe a love from nana or grammy and maybe one with her birthstone. Think have to probably get what they call stop beads or something like that to keep them from moving around. Anyone understand what I am talking about?

On the Pandora website it explains the sizing.

The good thing about these these of charm braceletes you can always move the charms to a bigger bracelete later and you can always re-invent your braclete to create different types styles.

You can attack 2 to 3 bracletes together and make a necklaces.

This is like the jewelery version of lego lol.

I know loads of people all over the world that collect Pandora Charms and other charm bracelets.

There are loads of facebook groups, printerest groups and websites specifically for Pandora and other charm braceletes.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:26 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you want to go the Pandora route but don't want to invest a ton up front, consider one of the leather bracelets with a few charms. She can always upgrade to a silver bracelet later if she chooses (or you can upgrade it for her at a later time). And the charms don't slide around as easily as on the silver bracelets.
The leather ones are easy to break and I would not suggest spending that much on something so breakable for a kid. It will snap open and the charms will be lost.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:28 AM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIL9 View Post
My daughters used to have those but I haven't seen any vendors in quite a while.

Alex and Ani bangles are somewhat popular.
When looking at brands something to consider is quality vs price.

Pandora is using actually silver or 14 k gold.

When you compare the price of some other stuff you need to compare the value of the materials used to make it.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:33 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I like the idea of a charm bracelet for a young girl. Even if she doesn’t choose to wear it a lot, it will still be a timeline for her life. Memories of Christmasses, and birthdays, and how her interests changed throughout her life.

I would go with good quality, silver charms from a jewelry store, rather than pandora.

I dont know what became of mine, unfortunately, but I still remember some of the charms. One was a Bible, with a little window in it. If you held it to the light and looked in, you could see writing inside. Also cheerleader, ballerina, a dachshund, tennis racket, etc.

Pandora is actually good quality.
If you inspect the quality of the charms and finishes on the jewerly it is always bang on.
Also if the item gets damaged they will replace it.

I have a $2300 14 k gold bracelet from them. I noticed some issues with it after 5 years plus of having it and using it. They sent it to their head office to see if they could fix it and then decided to give me a brand new one no questions asked. Now try asking another company to do that.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:38 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
To each their own. Some cultures give their infant children jewelry. IMO, "appropriateness" is not a consideration when it comes to jewelry. I can't think of what would be inappropriate about it.
I agree. In my culture kids gets jewelry since birth.
I don't think jewelry is only for special occassions.
I wear even my most expensive items even to the grocery store.
You could die tomorrow... why leave nice stuff sitting in draws collecting dust.

My daughter is 11 and have a Pandora Bracelet. I wound put the more expensive charms on it ... but to date she has not lost it and it has around $400 bucks with of stuff on it now. If you have a clip and safety chain on it unless they get their hand sawed off ... not likely it will fall off.

I have NEVER had any of my silver braceletes brakes or fall off with a safety chain on it.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Aren't the young girls wearing leather or bangles now? I'd make sure your gd would really like having a charm bracelet before giving one to her.
Only because they are cheaper.

It depends of the kid.
I am really in to jewlery and have taught my duaghter to understand how to buy jewlery.

Ex Looking at the material
Craftmanship
Brand reputation
Re-sale value
Quality for price

I want to make sure if I die she understands what my stuff is worth and does not let someone rip her off.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:54 AM

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Heirloom jewelry has to start somewhere!

With the best of economic and quality advice...stay away from Pandora (200% markup..no that's not a typo).

Try a different approach...make your own. Good quality beads can be had. From craft stores...or a local jeweler can recommend certain brand beads.

We have a local store called let's bead friends. Catchy name ..and they have classes on jewelry making...what a bonding moment for my little granddaughter and I.
I disagree.
You can buy low quality stuff that will break or be damanaged or you can invest in something made well that will maintain is beauty.

These braceletes and charms are strong and durable with the expection of the murano glass charms. They are beautify but will break.

You can buy authentic pandora stuff on ebay or second hand for a fraction of the cost.

I seriously have over 200 charms ( maybe even more) and boats loads of every other type of item the store sells. I also know lots of other people that are really in to jewelry have lots of there stuff.

The company has been around since 1982.

Regardless of the brand just looking at the jewerly and the finish the stuff is well made or is chamilla... but it is not a internally known.

No everyone really even likes jewelry.

I would start if her off with a silver braclet which looks nice even with no charms and buy one charm and if buget permits a clip and a safey chain. If she likes it buy more. If not dont.

Lots of the kids at my daughter's school have them... most of those who don't it because they can't afford them.

I buy and re-sell jewlery as a hobby and like the quality of this brand. If you buy directly from the store it is really expensive... but there are other ways to get nice stuff cheaper so if budget is a huge concerns try e-bay.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:00 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.
Do you REALLY know if it is authentic pandora or just fakes.

I see lots of fake stuff being sold. I see lots of fake stuff being re-sold at 2nd hand stores too. Lots of people don't know how to tell. The quality of the fakes is not the same.

I live in a major city and regularly go to 2nd hand and pawn shops and I have to date I have only seen knock offs being sold in 2nd hand shops. So if you have them in stores where you are being sold cheap please take a photo and post it with the price they are selling it for and I would be happy to provide feedback on the authenticity and it is real I will contact then to buy it if they are willing to ship !

Just like their are lots of Tiffany, Gucci, Louis Vutton etc knock offs.

Lots of people do not know how to tell authentic items from fake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty