U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 10:00 AM

13,189 posts, read 17,751,493 times

Advertisements

When you said charm bracelet that brought back so many memories . I think you are making a good choice with Pandora but they are costly and is she a child who takes care of her things or is she one who loses stuff really easily ? my grand daughter who is 12 leaves her coat places and losses thing quite easily , so I would never give her anything super costly . But I would her sister who is 8 and she is so mindful of her things and her clothes and she is a very neat and tidy child as well . She never losses anything . And she is a child who brings her dirty clothing to the laundry room vs the other one who leaves her dirty clothing everywhere . Just something to think about when spending the money . Good luck to you and I hope she likes whatever you get her. Like another poster here I also had one but it stayed in my mothers jewelry box and I never saw it again . I think my mother hid it and never gave it back and for all I know my sister has it or had it .
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 10:13 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,398,055 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
But again, the smaller the bracelet, the fewer charm beads it will hold. I've been in the jewelry business for 30 years, and I know the beads are a fad, and overpriced for what they are. If the OP is looking for a jewelry gift that she can add to for many years, Pandora is not the way to go. A regular(timeless) charm bracelet would be a better choice, but even that will not likely be appreciated by a child.

I currently handle the jewellry donations for a non-profit organization. We receive a lot of Pandora, and sell it for pennies on the dollar. Same with the Zoppini stretch charm bracelets.
Just curious are you qualified to authenticate jewelry or other designer items?
The reason why I am asking is that if the items are authentic and you are selling that for that cheap then you are really doing the organization a huge disservice. They should be listing it on ebay and they will be able to get a significant profit if it is infact authentic.

What other brand are you suggesting she buy for a child?

A Cartier?
A Tiffany?
A Van Cleef?
BVLGARI?
Gucci?
David Yurman?

What other jewelery brands are you suggesting?

Also if you are really selling Authentic Pandora Jewelery items for pennies on the dollar as you describe it serriously please direct message me with the location of where these items are being sold like that so I buy them all.

In my city/ country I can sell them re-sale for $25 each and at times with no discount if they are an older charm or retired charm. Some times those are selling for more then the retail value if they are retired and hard to find. I can sell each charm for around 50-60% of the original value now in many cases.

Again if you are selling the stuff that cheap and it is authentic and not counterfit you are doing the non-profit organizaion a HUGE disservice.

Please feel free to post a picture of an example of an actual donated item that is Pandora because I am finding it really crazy you would be re-selling really silver for pennies on a dollar? That is literally insane.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:33 PM

12,943 posts, read 19,890,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Just curious are you qualified to authenticate jewelry or other designer items?
The reason why I am asking is that if the items are authentic and you are selling that for that cheap then you are really doing the organization a huge disservice. They should be listing it on ebay and they will be able to get a significant profit if it is infact authentic.

What other brand are you suggesting she buy for a child?

A Cartier?
A Tiffany?
A Van Cleef?
BVLGARI?
Gucci?
David Yurman?

What other jewelery brands are you suggesting?

Also if you are really selling Authentic Pandora Jewelery items for pennies on the dollar as you describe it serriously please direct message me with the location of where these items are being sold like that so I buy them all.

In my city/ country I can sell them re-sale for $25 each and at times with no discount if they are an older charm or retired charm. Some times those are selling for more then the retail value if they are retired and hard to find. I can sell each charm for around 50-60% of the original value now in many cases.

Again if you are selling the stuff that cheap and it is authentic and not counterfit you are doing the non-profit organizaion a HUGE disservice.

Please feel free to post a picture of an example of an actual donated item that is Pandora because I am finding it really crazy you would be re-selling really silver for pennies on a dollar? That is literally insane.
I am qualified, I assure you. And I have many years of experience working for one of the retailers you mention above as a store manager. I am not doing anybody a disservice, we are a thrift store that uses donations to provide food, clothing and services to the poor. I price things at their "real", not their perceived value, as the object is to sell them. Pandora charms contain very little value.

I know you are young, and the young tend to be swayed by fads. There's nothing wrong with that, but the OP wasn't looking for fads, she was looking for something she could reliably add to over the years. Pandora is not the best choice.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:27 PM

Default .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I am qualified, I assure you. And I have many years of experience working for one of the retailers you mention above as a store manager. I am not doing anybody a disservice, we are a thrift store that uses donations to provide food, clothing and services to the poor. I price things at their "real", not their perceived value, as the object is to sell them. Pandora charms contain very little value.

I know you are young, and the young tend to be swayed by fads. There's nothing wrong with that, but the OP wasn't looking for fads, she was looking for something she could reliably add to over the years. Pandora is not the best choice.
Non profit thigh shops in Toronto are selling to get the most profit for the charity. So they price accordingly.

So if they think they can get more based on a brand name they price higher.

Regardless .... as far as I am concerned people should buy something they like.

I like Pandora Jewelry. It is fun and durable. I never pay retail price regardless and there are not many other jewelery lines out there of comparable quality for that price point.

Tiffany is the next level up in silver and will be a lot more expensive for a charm bracelet.

Most brand name or designer jewelery has a huge mark up.

Ex I have a 220 g 18 k Gold Cartier Necklace. The weight of the gold cost around $3000 max. The neclace retails for $18 000 plus tax. That is just the way these things work. Regardless of what anyone thinks of it is mine and I adore it. That is all that really matters at the end of the day. So in the case of her daughter Pandora has been aroind for while. The places that have been around longer cost more.

I don't know where you are from but it sounds like things are sold a a lot cheaper then most other places I am familiar with.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:42 PM

26,928 posts, read 28,301,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
When you said charm bracelet that brought back so many memories . I think you are making a good choice with Pandora but they are costly and is she a child who takes care of her things or is she one who loses stuff really easily ? my grand daughter who is 12 leaves her coat places and losses thing quite easily , so I would never give her anything super costly . But I would her sister who is 8 and she is so mindful of her things and her clothes and she is a very neat and tidy child as well . She never losses anything . And she is a child who brings her dirty clothing to the laundry room vs the other one who leaves her dirty clothing everywhere . Just something to think about when spending the money . Good luck to you and I hope she likes whatever you get her. Like another poster here I also had one but it stayed in my mothers jewelry box and I never saw it again . I think my mother hid it and never gave it back and for all I know my sister has it or had it .
I was going to say the same. Jewelry gifts didn't survive my childhood.

I had a gold cross I never wore - too ornate. I donated that cross after 20 years.

Diamond studs I got as an 8 year old that went to the black hole when my family moved. My mom kept it in her jewelry box and I never saw them after the first few weeks. Then my mom blamed me for losing them. :P

My class ring got stolen during PE class.

I had a charm bracelet, it was too busy for me. No clue where it ended up.

I wore jewelry rarely in my teen years.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:27 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I was going to say the same. Jewelry gifts didn't survive my childhood.

I had a gold cross I never wore - too ornate. I donated that cross after 20 years.

Diamond studs I got as an 8 year old that went to the black hole when my family moved. My mom kept it in her jewelry box and I never saw them after the first few weeks. Then my mom blamed me for losing them. :P

My class ring got stolen during PE class.

I had a charm bracelet, it was too busy for me. No clue where it ended up.

I wore jewelry rarely in my teen years.
Everyone is different though.

I lost lots of nice stuff I had gotten as a kid for special occasions... but not all of it.

I am not a fan of the idea of not getting something nice because you might lose or break it. If that was the case then what would be the point of doing anything.

Life is short. Enjoy the best as often as possible as you might never get the opportunity again.

You only live once.

Even if the kid out grows the bracelet... why could it not be something she was told to keep to pass on to her own child or a child that is special to her when she is older.

My daughter has inherted a few pieces of really old gold French coin pendants from her Paternal Grandmother that she has been explained the importance of. We have them put a way for her.... but this is something hopefully she will keep to remember my mother-in-law by.

I really like the concept of passing on Jewelry because it is something that you know has kept close to them and enjoyed the pleasure of. On charm braceletes each charm has a meaning and represents something about that person or an experience they might of had. I can tell you the names of most of the charms on the charm bracelets I wear. My charm bracelet is like a pretty verious of a fidgit spinner lol !

Old 11-01-2017, 01:02 PM

26,928 posts, read 28,301,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Everyone is different though.

I lost lots of nice stuff I had gotten as a kid for special occasions... but not all of it.

I am not a fan of the idea of not getting something nice because you might lose or break it. If that was the case then what would be the point of doing anything.

Life is short. Enjoy the best as often as possible as you might never get the opportunity again.

You only live once.

Even if the kid out grows the bracelet... why could it not be something she was told to keep to pass on to her own child or a child that is special to her when she is older.

My daughter has inherted a few pieces of really old gold French coin pendants from her Paternal Grandmother that she has been explained the importance of. We have them put a way for her.... but this is something hopefully she will keep to remember my mother-in-law by.

I really like the concept of passing on Jewelry because it is something that you know has kept close to them and enjoyed the pleasure of. On charm braceletes each charm has a meaning and represents something about that person or an experience they might of had. I can tell you the names of most of the charms on the charm bracelets I wear. My charm bracelet is like a pretty verious of a fidgit spinner lol !
I think you need to better tailor your gift to the kid. I was not interested in jewelry, particularly things with lots of bling. It was a bad choice of gifts since I liked technology, video games and reading.

It is a rite of passage to get jewelry at milestone childhood birthdays, but it may not actually be relevant to that particular kid. No need to force your ideas on them without any confirmation they'll be into it.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:20 PM

13,189 posts, read 17,751,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think you need to better tailor your gift to the kid. I was not interested in jewelry, particularly things with lots of bling. It was a bad choice of gifts since I liked technology, video games and reading.

It is a rite of passage to get jewelry at milestone childhood birthdays, but it may not actually be relevant to that particular kid. No need to force your ideas on them without any confirmation they'll be into it.

yes indeed kids are very different even if they come from the same set of parents . I was trying to make the point of that every child is different . As for me I don't have the money to throw away in other words if I bought something for someone and they told me they lost it , I might as well have thrown that money down the crapper and would not appreciate the person did not take some semblance of care of the said item and or put it away to use at a later time .

Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM

4 posts, read 22 times
Bracelets are universally liked and donned by women. Diamond bracelets speak of finesse and style and take an individual's style quotient a notch higher. From simple designs to contemporary styles, diamond bracelets can easily be worn by someone who wishes to accessorise its looks with something dashing and elegant.

Old Today, 01:00 AM

280 posts, read 51,226 times
I would buy myself something expensive as in Platinum or 18k and then give it to her when she is an adult or leave it to her upon my death. My grandmother left me a diamond ring set in platinum that had originally belonged to my great grandmother. One isn't too likely at twenty to like or wear a bracelet started when one is 10. I don't know that a 10 year old could appreciate sentimental value yet. However, you know your GD and maybe a charm bracelet will be perfect for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty