Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 06:01 PM

60 posts, read 57,756 times

Advertisements

Thinking of getting my 10 year old GD a charm type bracelet for xmas. I Kind of like the Pandora style over the conventional link type thinking less apt to catch on things. Also do not want to spend a fortune at this age level esp. for the bracelet itself since she will change size. Any suggestions? I was thinking of getting an initial charm of her initial -maybe a love from nana or grammy and maybe one with her birthstone. Think have to probably get what they call stop beads or something like that to keep them from moving around. Anyone understand what I am talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 01:03 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
I think I do. Sorry this is not going to be much help but I never liked Charm bracelets. Back in HS there was a older teacher who wore her over charmed charm bracelet every day. When she wrote on the chalk board I spore she would exaggerate her motion writing in huge letters just to hear the thing ching and clack. Instead of paying attention to what she was teaching all I could hear was that clacking. Kind of drove me nuts. Just the same idea as the neighbor who has 3 large wind chimes lol (we get alot of wind,... in a wind tunnel)

Sorry, you said charm bracelet and it brought back memories.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:21 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
I know what kind you mean. They are not clanky like the old 50's kind. Do you have any inclination that she would like it?

Maybe try her out with a cheap one from Ebay, they also have a lot of "fun" beads that would appeal to a child, then if she really likes it you can upgrade to a better one. Although I still can't wrap my brain around paying the Pandora prices, but that's just me.

For about $10 you could buy her the bracelet and a whole bunch of beads and let her mix up her own design.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:52 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Pandora bracelets are a fading fad. The problem is, the bracelet part itself is pretty unattractive until it's covered up with the beads, and the beads are expensive. The bracelets are also longer than normal because the beads are thick, so it will fall off a child's wrist. If you have it shortened, it won't hold many beads.

For a young girl, a pendant necklace or a ring, maybe with her birthstone or initial, would be a better choice.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:22 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The bracelets are also longer than normal because the beads are thick, so it will fall off a child's wrist. If you have it shortened, it won't hold many beads.
They come in different sizes. It's not difficult to find a size that is big enough to allow for beads but not so big that it falls off.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:26 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
If you want to go the Pandora route but don't want to invest a ton up front, consider one of the leather bracelets with a few charms. She can always upgrade to a silver bracelet later if she chooses (or you can upgrade it for her at a later time). And the charms don't slide around as easily as on the silver bracelets.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:52 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Can you still buy those Italian charms? The ones where the charm has a picture and snaps onto the bracelet? Those are flat and offer many charms a child would like. Relatively inexpensive so not so many tears if she loses it.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:57 AM

603 posts, read 445,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Can you still buy those Italian charms? The ones where the charm has a picture and snaps onto the bracelet? Those are flat and offer many charms a child would like. Relatively inexpensive so not so many tears if she loses it.

My daughters used to have those but I haven't seen any vendors in quite a while.

Alex and Ani bangles are somewhat popular.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:03 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie View Post
pandora bracelets are a fading fad. the problem is, the bracelet part itself is pretty unattractive until it's covered up with the beads, and the beads are expensive. The bracelets are also longer than normal because the beads are thick, so it will fall off a child's wrist. If you have it shortened, it won't hold many beads.

For a young girl, a pendant necklace or a ring, maybe with her birthstone or initial, would be a better choice.
+1.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:28 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I like the idea of a charm bracelet for a young girl. Even if she doesn’t choose to wear it a lot, it will still be a timeline for her life. Memories of Christmasses, and birthdays, and how her interests changed throughout her life.

I would go with good quality, silver charms from a jewelry store, rather than pandora.

I dont know what became of mine, unfortunately, but I still remember some of the charms. One was a Bible, with a little window in it. If you held it to the light and looked in, you could see writing inside. Also cheerleader, ballerina, a dachshund, tennis racket, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty