Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2017, 04:43 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times

Advertisements

Liliane Bettencourt, the L'Oreal heiress who died last month, had such an interesting obit that I though some of you might like to read it. They were the first company to develop nuanced hair color.

Liliane Bettencourt, L’Oréal Heiress Vexed by Swindling Case, Is Dead at 94

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/21/w...ad-loreal.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 11:10 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
These stories are always interesting reads. Sadly, hers had the all-too-common thread about elder abuse for financial gain (who can forget Helen Brach, whose body was never found?), sometimes by their own family members (Brooke Astor).

As for L'oreal's nuanced hair colors...yes lol! Although I never used their permanent hair color, I was a huge fan of their Exuberance line of temporary foam colors. Discontinued about 20 years ago (and it's taken me almost that long to find a suitable replacement), this was a collection of almost every red imaginable, from burgndies and auburns to the lighter coppery shades that matched my own highlights.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:16 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Don't forget the "poor little rich girl", Gloria Vanderbilt (Anderson Cooper's mother). She had a son by the same husband, bio bro to Anderson (Carter Vanderbilt Cooper (January 27, 1965 – July 22, 1988), who committed suicide at age 23 by jumping from the family's 14th-floor apartment).

Then there was Barbara Hutton, Barbara WOOLWORTH Hutton, heir to the Woolworth empire and the E.F. Hutton empire. Her first cousin is actress Dina Merrill. Her only child, a son, Lance Reventlow, was killed in a plane crash in 1972.

These women are examples of the tragic lives those who are born with a silver spoon in their lives end up with. The 2 I mentioned above were only children of their married parents, and both girls lost their mothers to death very early in their lives.

I wouldn't trade my life for any of these wealthy women.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:37 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Don't forget the "poor little rich girl", Gloria Vanderbilt (Anderson Cooper's mother). She had a son by the same husband, bio bro to Anderson (Carter Vanderbilt Cooper (January 27, 1965 – July 22, 1988), who committed suicide at age 23 by jumping from the family's 14th-floor apartment).

Then there was Barbara Hutton, Barbara WOOLWORTH Hutton, heir to the Woolworth empire and the E.F. Hutton empire. Her first cousin is actress Dina Merrill. Her only child, a son, Lance Reventlow, was killed in a plane crash in 1972.

These women are examples of the tragic lives those who are born with a silver spoon in their lives end up with. The 2 I mentioned above were only children of their married parents, and both girls lost their mothers to death very early in their lives.

I wouldn't trade my life for any of these wealthy women.
These are tragic tales but these things happen to people from all walks of life. Wealthy, middle class and poor. You mostly hear about the tragedies of the wealthy never knowing that you could be walking beside someone who has had more and worse events of this sort in their lives.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:52 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Another interesting one is Rachel Mellon. "Bunny" was a very good friend of Jackie O. She died not that long ago at 102 or 103. Though frail, she was still pretty sharp in her dotage. Still, even she was taken advantage of.

She was funneling boucoups bucks to John Edwards' presidential campaign, circumventing donation caps by claiming she was buying all kinds of personal accoutrements, and even told him she'd pay his bills.

What she ended up paying for was his mistress. Lol when that was uncovered, she reportedly didn't even care.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
These are tragic tales but these things happen to people from all walks of life. Wealthy, middle class and poor. You mostly hear about the tragedies of the wealthy never knowing that you could be walking beside someone who has had more and worse events of this sort in their lives.
Everyone has a story. Everyone's lives are different. This thread is about one specific wealthy woman from the "old days" and how her life turned out upon her death at a very old age. A couple more were added to the conversation, and I added a couple more.

These women/families are part of history. That is why this topic is so interesting. People tend to envy those who have it better, and these stories prove that is not always the case.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:37 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Everyone has a story. Everyone's lives are different. This thread is about one specific wealthy woman from the "old days" and how her life turned out upon her death at a very old age. A couple more were added to the conversation, and I added a couple more.

These women/families are part of history. That is why this topic is so interesting. People tend to envy those who have it better, and these stories prove that is not always the case.
Exactly, it's part of history. But on the other hand, this is the specific person's history, and related to the Beauty forum. So there wasn't much point in shoehorning in people like Hutton.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:54 PM

I disagree. I was replying to the post made by 5-all. That post did not fit in with this topic at all. At least Barbara Hutton was part of the "Beauty" culture, she married an heir to Revlon. Can't get too much more "Beauty" or wealthy or tragic than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty