Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 06:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

They sell some really nice shoe dye at your local Walmart which might make them look new. If you can cover the areas, keep them.

I wear my shoes, mostly flats.... until the soles/heels are worn down. Then, depending on the materials I might turn them into garden shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 07:03 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
The last pair I tossed had holes in the soles that I discovered thanks to puddles from a heavy rain.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:33 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidgirl View Post
The heels are slightly frayed at the back .
The back of the shoe is grazed due to the chair wheels at office .

What say ? Time to toss ? or not ?

Whats your threshold?
>cost of the shoe
>repair cost
>in stye or not

I would get Ferragamos or Tod's repaired, when I paid a bundle for them. Something from Macy's I would toss.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:00 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
When the shoe smells like unwashed socks that have been festering in the heat for a week (AKA limburger cheese), then yes it's time to toss them out.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:22 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Clarification: Are they fabric or leather? If they're leather, a trip to the shoemaker for some buffing and a shine could give you another stretch of wear. If the shoe is fabric, they may not be salvageable. Ask the man.

Did you pay a lot for these shoes?

How attached are you to this pair?

Maybe a refurb at the cobbler shop might be enough that you could leave them at the office and wear them only there.

I find driving is what sullies the right heel.

I have a pair I keep in the car, in a sad state as far as looks are concerned but if something happens and I have to walk, they're comfortable to do that.
I agree with this statement. I have a pair of cordovan riding boots I bought at Banana Republic (don't laugh) about eighteen years ago for $150 that I could barely afford. I learned that a good cobbler could be your best friend. I still have those boots, and I paid about $30 for two new half-soles 15 years ago. They remain among my favorite boots, and in the meantime, I learned how to store them properly (on a boot rack, which hangs over the back of any standard door such that the boots properly air out). I've never regretted paying a little more for quality. I have, however, regretted buying cheap shoes. Of course, everyone's mileage may vary on that.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:29 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times
Whats the point of wearing shoes in the first place?

Tip: it ain't fashion no matter what you may think.

The real main reason humans wear shoes is to protect the feet, legs and lower back from any and all surfaces that can harm our bodies.

The second your shoes stop protecting and supporting feet, legs and lower back it's time for new shoes.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:34 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Depends on the shoe.

My tennis court shoes have to go once the sole is worn off (happens super fast) bc you'll slip and break your neck.
So the top can look absolutely beautiful and pristine, but those shoes are done.

Any other kind of fashion shoe or regular shoe goes when it starts to look raggedy.

Since I don't much wear shoes that aren't my tennis shoes (I go barefoot at home and I wear boots to work), I don't go through many pairs of 'regular' shoes.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:37 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
When you are embarrassed to wear them, they need to go.

Recently I has to pull off my shoes at the doctor's office. Outside looked fine but the inside of the shoes were flaking. I had to hide them in the corner so the doctor didn't think I was in need. Time to shoe shop! I started thinking about when I bought the shoes and realized they are somewhere between 10 and 15 years old. No wonder the lining is coming apart!

Old 11-04-2017, 12:25 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
And when you retire - toss out every dress shoe you own with a heel regardless of its condition!
Amen! If only we could also toss out the bunions. It's really time women said no to wearing crippling devices (in more ways than one) on their feet.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:15 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Til the sole comes apart....that's what I do with sneakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty