U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 03:34 PM

20,775 posts, read 21,251,536 times

Advertisements

I don't care one way or another. If a man I was dating had one, my bigger concern would be whether he could *actually* afford it or was he the type of person who was overly enamoured with appearing wealthy regardless of his real circumstance. I'd be more likely to be impressed with a well planned retirement account or investment portfolio, than a Rolex or a Corvette. But that's me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 04:58 PM

19,922 posts, read 24,604,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You do understand that people can own nice things without any intention of impressing other people with them, right?
Some people never quite grasp this concept.
Of course I do and I am that way. I also know many people who really do care what others think of their "things". Now that I don't understand.

Like you said buy it because you like it.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:58 PM

7,854 posts, read 1,902,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
I agree with you.

I don't care about and wouldn't notice any particular handbag, either.
Notice isn't necessarily the point. I'm not a big label hound, but there are a few brands I will seek out, simply because they last for years and years. I've had a couple of leather Aigner (not a terribly impressive brand, I know, but my fave, for purses) bags that only grew prettier with time. The thing that is hard for me to understand is spending a fortune on bags made of some kind of cloth, with the logo all over them. How does one keep them from getting dirty and frayed?

Old 11-25-2017, 05:23 PM

32,069 posts, read 40,262,379 times
I bought hubby a used Rolex, many years ago. It was still $3400. back then. He likes it and wears it for special occasions. When he wears it he feels like he’s dressing up.
On a cruise, he bought me a Concord Saratoga with diamonds. That was in 1995. I still wear it every day, and it looks like new.
A quality watch is expensive because it will last. Sure, you can get cheap watches that tell time, and there is nothing wrong with that. When I wear my Concord, it comes with the memories of the cruise we took with friends, when we were younger, and the fact that I’ve worn it almost every day of my life, through good and bad times, ever since then.

Some people value some things over others. So be it. I don’t think either of us every gives a thought to whether anyone notices what kind of watch we’re wearing.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:00 PM

13,575 posts, read 9,608,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think most Rolexes are just too fancy/flashy for a casual outfit. But I do like watches and think wearing one is great. I wear one daily but mine has a more casual face and let her strap.
I beg your pardon?

I can't remember the last time I wore a watch, but when I did, I preferred cute, unique watches. I didn't care at all about Rolex, or any brand, and I don't care for the one pictured in the OP.

Like some others have mentioned, if someone were to try to impress me with their expensive brands, it would be a waste of their money because I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. lol

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 11-25-2017 at 06:09 PM..

Old 11-25-2017, 06:28 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,101,918 times
Not a fan of Rolex.

I wear cheap, funky watches when i DO wear one, but i usually don't because "jewelry" irritates me anymore. I like the look of the wooden ones but don't have any yet.

If i were wealthy, i'd probably chose something like this (didnt' see the cost yet), because it's pretty and i'd be able to afford it lol.

https://www.patek.com/en/collection/...us/7010-1R-011

Old 11-25-2017, 07:00 PM

4,832 posts, read 2,772,992 times
I like a pedometer watch.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:22 PM

10,987 posts, read 18,625,953 times
I had a Timex faux-lex. The difference between the Rolex you show and mine was the face on mine was champagne colored. It was a classic timeless watch. I wore the heck out of it for over 25 years.

It died. And the dial was becoming harder for me to read. Aging eyes.

I did an amazing amount of research. Bought a Seiko. Solar. Blue face, silver hands. Very visible to me. Love the blue face.

But hereís the thing. A lot of people donít need to wear watches anymore. So watches have become statement jewelry. Statement jewelry is always big. Iím not a small person, but I have small features. I donít like the look of statement jewelry on me.

Itís hard to find small case watches. But Iím happy with my watch. And I donít wear it much. But when I travel I want a watch.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:55 PM

7,520 posts, read 6,854,692 times
Love my Rolex, wear it daily.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:01 AM

606 posts, read 179,183 times
Default reply

I find most of them to be too masculine for me. I like them okay on men. I like prettier watches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or