U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 10:51 AM

85 posts, read 64,145 times

Advertisements

As a "watch idiot savant", I profess my love of timepieces . Rolex is a step above the game in terms of offering only mechanical (automatic) movements in their watches (which I guess would be expected given their price-point), and no quartz. I would never, ever waste my money on a quartz watch, unless the watch is dirt cheap so I can use it as a beater. I have seen so many $1000+ quartz garbage (especially for women's watches), and it's just sad there will be people buying into it (i.e. non-watch people who don't know better).

I hate the blingy Rolexes (so pretty much all Datejusts). OTOH, I love the tool watches in their line-up like the Submariner, but unfortunately, as a petite skinny woman, I cannot wear any watch bigger than 36mm. That's ok, because the 29mm and 35mm Yachtmaster exist, as does the 31mm "Explorer":

However, as a brand, Rolex is way overpriced for what you actually get -- there are SO many "micro-brands" out there with much better offerings at much lower prices. Even Tudor -- a subsidiary of Rolex -- has a few nice pieces for the ladies, like the Hydronaut, for a much more reasonable price:

Other brands that offer much more bang for your buck for automatics/manual winds are the classic Swiss mid-range ones like Ball, Mido, Tissot, Longines, Epos, Certina, Armand Nicolet, Zenith, and Victorinox. There are also the mid-range German brands like Laco, Max Bill, and Nomos (Nomos is on the higher end of mid-range).

And if you want something niche and higher-end or with more complications (but still under or around Rolex's price range), there are brands like JS Watch Reykjavik, Hentschel Hamburg H1, Chronoswiss, and Breguet:

Then there are the really affordable pieces from Orient and Seiko:

For me, there's no reason to get a Rolex since there are so many other, better options on the market. Besides, I think I would feel self-conscious wearing a Rolex on the daily, as my career field isn't exactly all that lucrative..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 12:49 PM

11 posts, read 4,324 times
I don't like the scale of it, has a heavy look for me. Also, I don't care for anything with an identifiable brand. Feels ostentatious and life is hard for far too many people these days, so why do that?

Old 11-28-2017, 09:53 AM

1,974 posts, read 845,654 times
I don't like the look of Rolex. So even if I could afford one, there's many other watches I'd rather buy over a rolex.

I do like and wear watches though. I have a few Movado watches, I like the simplicity of them

Old 11-28-2017, 11:02 AM

1,726 posts, read 865,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I wouldn't know a Rolex from a Timex. I haven't worn a watch in 20+ years and the last one I had was a Swatch! I doubt I'd like them though because I could never get over thinking about what important things I could do with the money they cost.
All I wear are Swatches. Don't need them, just love them.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:05 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,463,635 times
Watches are the one type of jewellery like item I don't like.
They are clunky and I am always late ... so no need to have the time shoved in the face.
Also I would rather just check the time on my sell phone.
Time is the enemy.
I also have a really bad memory of getting a watch for a Valentines Gift which triggered a fight and a soon after break up.
People if you give someone a watch as a gift .... don't show up an hour late on the day you are doing it unless you want your gift whipped back at you.
I REFUSED to wear it as the sight of it just made me furious. That is like the only gift I have ever been given that I could not pretend to like.
Even thinking about watches reminds me to the epic loser and gets be mad.

In short I hate watches and seriously hate Rolex watches because they are expensive... clunky and if I am going to shell out all that money on something I wear it better be gorgeous.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:40 PM

3,125 posts, read 1,677,408 times
The picture in the OP shows a Rolex style from at least the 1970's.

Practically nobody wears that style in a ladies watch today.

Strangely enough, that watch is smaller than most modern ladies watches popular today.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:43 AM

33,634 posts, read 27,418,434 times
I like a nice Rolex, but I don't see the value in wearing watches that only tell the time anymore. I don't really wear my analog ones since I started wearing an Apple Watch.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:19 AM

15,245 posts, read 16,248,745 times
I like watches and have several, but I have no interest in owning a Rolex. I also don't have any interest in owning a Chanel purse, or Christian Loubouton shoes. It seems silly to me to spend a small fortune on something just for the name. I know people say that those high-priced things will last forever, but I'm not going to live forever, so why would I care? It's not like I'm going to bequeath my fashion accessories to my daughter.

Anyway, I have a nice Seiko watch, and an Ecclissi watch that I'm wearing right now, as well as several other costume jewelry type watches. I also love the look of most Fossil watches.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:37 PM

1,667 posts, read 535,424 times
With the advent of the compact cell phone, I have found I don't need a watch. Prior to that, I would have loved to have a Rolex.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:57 PM

9,092 posts, read 12,073,864 times
Michael Kors makes some nice looking watches.

Even the fashion brands like Fossil are just as good in quality as Tag Heuer and other swiss watches. The movements used are sometimes exactly the same. A high quality movement (inner workings) should cost no more than $50, so any watch that costs more than $200 is not really justified. That includes both quartz and mechanical. A mechanical should not cost more than a good quality quartz.

Seiko in my opinion is nearly as good as Rolex. They also make everything in-house. Anything above a Seiko in quality is really just unnecessary luxury.

And many "fashion" watches are looked down by some, but in reality their quality is quite good. They also put more into their design. I would just hesitate to pay much more than $200 because a lot of that is just marketing. You can find some good quality watches discounted at stores like Nordstrom Rack and TJ Max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty