Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 05:45 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times

Advertisements

I found one I liked in a Rolex shop in a Las Vegas hotel but I couldn't afford it. I actually haven't worn a watch in 13 years. Owned several brands ranging from $50 to $100 the batteries had to be replace all the time and the last watch I had gave me rash from the metal so I stopped wearing one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 07:38 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
I am a guy that prefers mechanical (automatic/self winding) watches, but could never justify the price of a Rolex, but they do hold their value. I'd probably get a Sea Dweller if I was going to get one. I have a few Omegas (Speedmaster Pro, Seamaster) which I bought several years ago. They were always expensive, but now outrageous also. I prefer some of the Sinn line of mechanical watches, as well as some f the micro brands that have popped up.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:08 AM

11 posts, read 7,126 times
I love Rolex!!! Nothing better than this watch I have two date just and Yacht Master and I just in love with it.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:42 AM

827 posts, read 658,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think most Rolexes are just too fancy/flashy for a casual outfit. But I do like watches and think wearing one is great. I wear one daily but mine has a more casual face and let her strap.
Get the Submariner not flashy at all but very buteaful, That's the one I have.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Do you ladies ever fancy yourselves owning one or are there another brands that suit your fancy?
looking good! 😃

Old 12-16-2018, 08:09 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
I've had two of them. Kept each for a few years then sold them.

My first was purchased at the PX in Germany when I lived there.

Second was purchased by my last ex-husband.

I always felt eyes would to my wrist immediately. I didn't feel they were safe to wear, made me a target for a mugging.

Never lost any money on them, I will say that.

As a retiree, I feel true luxury is NOT having to wear a watch.....

Old 12-16-2018, 08:24 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
I know this is an old thread but since it was resurrected- yes, I have a Rolex, pretty much just like the one in the OP. Bought it 10 years ago, second-hand. Love it and wear it daily, but a few caveats. First, it's not all that accurate- I need to reset it at least every couple of weeks, even after it's been in for repair.

Second- it is NOT invincible. I wore it swimming in chlorinated water (had a back yard pool at the time) for years without having it overhauled for a long time. The seals deteriorated and leaked, the watch stopped, and the repair cost me about what another used watch would have cost. Lesson learned. Overhauls are NOT cheap.

Not sure I'd buy another but it sure looks pretty.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I know this is an old thread but since it was resurrected- yes, I have a Rolex, pretty much just like the one in the OP. Bought it 10 years ago, second-hand. Love it and wear it daily, but a few caveats. First, it's not all that accurate- I need to reset it at least every couple of weeks, even after it's been in for repair.

Second- it is NOT invincible. I wore it swimming in chlorinated water (had a back yard pool at the time) for years without having it overhauled for a long time. The seals deteriorated and leaked, the watch stopped, and the repair cost me about what another used watch would have cost. Lesson learned. Overhauls are NOT cheap.

Not sure I'd buy another but it sure looks pretty.
For a Rolex to leak in a pool I have to wonder if it's a fake?

Old 12-16-2018, 04:46 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
For a Rolex to leak in a pool I have to wonder if it's a fake?
Not necessarily. They use essentially the same kind of waterproofing seals/gaskets that other watches use. And they need to be replaced periodically. Watches need to be serviced periodically, and I'm sure that one Rolex routine maintenance job in itself probably costs more than I would ever spend on a watch.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:53 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,120 times
I'm not a big Rolex fan, no. I have a few nicer watches (Bedat and Baume et Mercier) and I don't find myself wearing them. I have become a big fan of my Apple watch and buying interchangeable bands.

If I had a "dream" watch it would be a Patek Philippe Gondolo collection. https://www.patek.com/en/collection/gondolo

I love this one
https://www.patek.com/en/collection/gondolo/7099G-001
and this
https://www.patek.com/en/collection/gondolo/4972G-001
or this
https://www.patek.com/en/collection/gondolo/4972-1G-001
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty