U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 11:14 AM

52 posts, read 35,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
Well I'm kind of divided on that issue.

Or pole dancing heels at workplace. Or...

Fashion is silly. If you're young, you're over 90% sure to become its victim. You'll probably also snap out of it at some point.
This reminds me of the day I went to see a new doctor. She came tripping into the exam room in pole dancing heels (such a good name for them!) and then she tripped over the leg of her office chair and nearly landed on her face!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 12:08 PM

9,696 posts, read 7,648,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The Laura Ashley line was not pretty. It was dowdy. Great if you wanted to look something like QE2 at 65, but not really a young aesthetic.
It's a matter of taste.

I am an English country dancer, and believe me, those classic and nostalgic floral patterned, full-skirted, tight-waisted, scoop necked mid-calf dresses are nothing the Queen would have ever worn past her twenties or early thirties. But they looked great on dancers, who tend to retain slender figures, and "worked" - moved well and were comfortable to wear while dancing, I'm told. Not dowdy at all, but a romantic, nostalgic look that went well with historic dance.

BTW, Laura Ashley had a very popular children's clothing line that certainly was a "young aesthetic". Lots of my friends' young daughters wore Laura Ashley, back in the day.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:50 PM

7,676 posts, read 11,284,638 times
The OP says that he is old enough to remember the 80s, which most likely means that he really came of age in the 90s and thinks that the 90s constitutes great fashion. Given that 90s fashion is pretty much the antithesis of 80s fashion, it's no wonder that the OP considers 80s fashion to be the worst.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:51 PM

242 posts, read 108,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisa12 View Post
This reminds me of the day I went to see a new doctor. She came tripping into the exam room in pole dancing heels (such a good name for them!) and then she tripped over the leg of her office chair and nearly landed on her face!
lol these heels always look like a woman is trying a bit too hard. But the real fun starts when they wear it at work. Which some do. Now I understand if she's in her twenties. Most young people are fashion victims, more or less. But a lady in her 40s, balancing on her newest 5+ inches while delivering a long power point presentation - of course she's supposed to stand while doing that and answering questions afterwards. I almost felt sorry for her.

Thing is, legs do look better on heels. But it's 3 inches. Anything 5 and more makes legs look weird.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:35 PM

251 posts, read 116,187 times
I loved the hair styles of the female singers of the 80's. Stevie Nicks, the band members of Vixen, Lita Ford. I thought they had beautiful hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulxNrRLbhEw

Lita in my opinion is beautiful in this video. I love her hair!

Old 11-28-2017, 06:38 PM

369 posts, read 190,233 times
80's fashion was great compared to today, at least there was some originality. So tired of the skinny jeans, flannel wearing, leather booted, bearded hipster crowd I could scream...

Old 11-29-2017, 06:55 AM

987 posts, read 397,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I loved 80's fashion. Some was horrendous, but there were a lot of choices and you didn't have to choose over the top. I loved the color of the 80's. If someone was wearing something it wasn't muted or an earthen tone. I loved women's clothing because it was feminine and sexy without being too revealing.
Agreed. I miss the bold/bright colors and clothing that was stylish (e.g. not a tent or skin-tight) but still had coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I loved the hair styles of the female singers of the 80's. Stevie Nicks, the band members of Vixen, Lita Ford. I thought they had beautiful hair.

Lita in my opinion is beautiful in this video. I love her hair!
Also this. I miss the big, full hair. It seems like nowadays so many girls/women are sporting flat, straight hair. Everyone looks the same in their yearbook photos, they're almost interchangeable.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:43 AM
Status: "In a Mayberry Town in the Mitten..." (set 12 days ago)

4,061 posts, read 6,978,433 times
I think women look better in bigger hair too, within reason. This is prettier than how people wear their hair now, IMHO:

http://ussalon.website/wp-content/up...-old-style.jpg

But this, OTOH, is over the top tacky:

http://images.totalbeauty.com/conten...9-80s-hair.jpg

Old 11-29-2017, 10:39 AM

2,960 posts, read 4,692,429 times
I guess I see such a huge variety in female hairstyles these days, I can't pinpont 'how people wear their hair now' as some specific image of this decade. Depends on where you live I suppose.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:19 AM

17,579 posts, read 21,763,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
For both men and women? Of course every decade has some stinkers but I would challenge anyone that there never has been, nor will be a decade as horribly horrendous as the 80s. I am old enough that I can remember it and there was absolutely NOTHING redeemable about the 80s when it comes to fashion. I just don't see how it would be possible for a decade to encapsulate everything that could go wrong, does go wrong as the 80s. Hair, makeup, clothes, etc...all was as horrible as atrocious as such things can be.

In my lifetime, I can not think of any decade that was or is, more hideous that the 1980s.

The era of the Mall Rat and the Valley Girl also gave us -

- Over powering and ridiculous shoulder pads.
- BIG HAIR - BIG BAD HAIRSTYLES. If you had naturally silky, full but fine hair, you were pretty much told to perm it. I chose a spiky pixie over the perm. However, not everyone can carry off very short hair.
- NEON COLORS. Really tacky and right colors in clothes for both women and men.
- The trend of wearing leggings with oversized Tee shirts or sweaters,often worn with white sneakers and thick bobby socks.
- The Madonna Look. "nuf said.
- The mullet for men.
- Bright plastic oversized earrings and other large, chunky fake jewelry.
- voluminous skirts, voluminous jeans, jeans with elastic at the ankles.
- very long nail extensions with jewels, drawings, glitter etc.
- tanning beds
- those ugly Rebock sneakers.
- sandblasted denim in very light colors.
- the return of dowdy wwhite mid heel shoes with dresses and pants. I had thought that "white shoes" were for rides or nurses. I hopethey never come back.
- Huge Ho bo shapeless purses.
_ banana clips.

I feel sick....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or