U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:26 AM

12,305 posts, read 9,933,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I flip through a lot of women's magazines and am amazed at the prices of clothing - $120 for a blouse, $390 for a skirt - and that is the low end magazines, not Vogue or Town and Country. I was brought up in a middle class home but during and after college I was financially responsible for myself and I grew to like shopping in thrift stores.

So my most expensive purchase was a wool, midi length winter coat, $30 new, bought in the late 1970's and I wore it for many years.

I asked my sister this question - she has a professional degree and earning potential of well over $100 an hour. Her response - a coat for $80.

So C-D folks, chime in - I am talking about a new purchase of a new item although if you wish go ahead and tell us about the $4K Balenciaga dress you got for $20 at Goodwill.

Am I the only one going "No Way" at the prices of clothing shown in magazines? Or am I a dinosaur?
Most expensive thing I've ever bought was my wedding gown...such a waste! Wear it for part of one day only to stuff it in a box for over 20 years.

I don't buy clothes that cost $120 for a shirt or $390 for a skirt. I'm far too practical. I'm fine with Old Navy jeans. I'm pretty hard on clothes given my job and the things I like to do in the yard.

A coat that was $30 in the 70's would be significantly higher today. A coat for $80 is pretty inexpensive....totally depends on what it's made out of, length, style, etc.

People buy those $120 tops or they wouldn't make them. They're marketing to a specific group of buyers. Not me or you, but they are out there.

My sister is the opposite of me. She has an actual bedroom in her house that is her shoe room! She has store racks lining the walls. Each pair of shoes/boots is in it's own storage bin with a photo on the front. Me? I have a small shoerack in our closet....half of it is empty! The other bedroom in her house is her clothes closet. Me? I have some shelves and one hanging bar in our walk-in closet. We each have half the closet. My sister totally doesn't understand any of this. I don't understand her fascination with clothing, but hey if it makes her happy, go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 04:38 AM

28 posts, read 13,180 times
I just bought my first pair of Rock Revival jeans and paid $150. I'm still not happy with myself but I do love those jeans!!!

Old 12-02-2017, 07:32 AM

358 posts, read 170,594 times
A London Fog down coat that I got for $99 at Burlington. I am overweight and tall, so finding anything that fits is a nightmare, but this coat is perfect for me. I felt horrible guilt over spending that much on myself, but I have had it for several years now and it has been more than worth it. Other than that, it's thrift stores or sales rack at Wally World.

Oh, and the $50 pair of compression stockings that my doctor insisted I wear due to diabetes.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:06 AM

4,546 posts, read 2,523,608 times
20 year old Armani (black label) suit. Can't fit into it but one day I hope to again so I keep it. Paid around $1500.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:10 AM

18,348 posts, read 12,213,125 times
I canít think of a coat Iíve bought recently that was not on sale. I did not pay big bucks for any of them.

My biggest ticket items are purses and shoes. I pay over $100 for a pair of shoes frequently. I cannot get by with cheap shoes. I have once bought an expensive Fossil bag at full price and I practically got heart palpitations when I did. I think the price was upwards of $150.

In principle, I would pay big bucks for some clothing items, but in practice I generally donít. My shopping options are limlted, for one thing.

I have been eyeing Lands End cashmere sweaters this year. But I probably wonít order one. Iíd love to own one though.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:08 AM

388 posts, read 241,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Most expensive thing I've ever bought was my wedding gown...such a waste! Wear it for part of one day only to stuff it in a box for over 20 years.

I don't buy clothes that cost $120 for a shirt or $390 for a skirt. I'm far too practical. I'm fine with Old Navy jeans. I'm pretty hard on clothes given my job and the things I like to do in the yard.

A coat that was $30 in the 70's would be significantly higher today. A coat for $80 is pretty inexpensive....totally depends on what it's made out of, length, style, etc.

People buy those $120 tops or they wouldn't make them. They're marketing to a specific group of buyers. Not me or you, but they are out there.

My sister is the opposite of me. She has an actual bedroom in her house that is her shoe room! She has store racks lining the walls. Each pair of shoes/boots is in it's own storage bin with a photo on the front. Me? I have a small shoerack in our closet....half of it is empty! The other bedroom in her house is her clothes closet. Me? I have some shelves and one hanging bar in our walk-in closet. We each have half the closet. My sister totally doesn't understand any of this. I don't understand her fascination with clothing, but hey if it makes her happy, go for it.

LOL, same here, I can have some pretty expensive clothing or shoes, but I can call myself a minimalist compare to my sister, she's the same like your sis.:-)

I have a quality clothing, but not too many pieces, but my sis is nuts:-) Still love her lol, jk

Old 12-03-2017, 09:50 AM

2,997 posts, read 1,151,089 times
Most expensive I bought: a pair of over-the-knee suede boots with 4" stacked leather heels. $150 in 1982. Kept them and wore them occasionally until 2005 when I moved to Hawaii, where they would have rotted.

Most expensive I own: a silk cocoon jacket from an old employer. She probably paid a few hundred for it. Wore it many times, especially to weddings. It has survived Hawaii, but I've only worn it once here because it's too warm. If the weather stays cool today, I might wear it to my Ladies Holiday Lunch.

A friend made my wedding dress. I still have parts of it; I wore the skirt on Halloween.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:39 AM

4,726 posts, read 4,588,040 times
Hm. Wedding Dress from David's Bridal six years ago---I think it was between $300-$400. But we paid for our wedding ourselves and my mom wanted to contribute that so I guess I didn't technically pay for it.

After that would probably be my North Face parka. I got it on sale though, so it probably wasn't that much. It's WAY better than my last jacket---definitely worth it.

It's hard to find clothes that fit when you're tall---I'd be willing to shell out more if I knew something would fit fantastically well and would last for a long time. But I don't take care of my stuff well enough so I know better.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:50 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,059,079 times
When I was working I thought nothing of spending $150 for a blouse or $300 for a pair of pants. These were usually made even more expensive by the tailoring required to fit my petite height. My job required me to meet with everyone in the company from C-level to clerk. I needed to look confident and competent without being intimidating. I kept to classic styles with just a scarf or little twist to make them memorable.
When I meet with my colleagues in the field my "field clothes" were rugged and well made items from Duluth Trading or Land's End.
Even in my retirement, although most days I'm in shorts and t-shirts, I want them to look that they fit well and have a touch of style. I may be paying a little more for them, but I would rather have 4 well made and good fitting pairs of shorts then 10 pairs that droop and sag after a few washings.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:32 PM

8,083 posts, read 7,361,966 times
My Hermes scarves or bags but the bags were hand me downs from my grandmother.

The most expensive item is probably a pair of black sequin Oscar de la Renta pants I bought at Saks in 2001 for $1200. I still wear them.

My pink crocodile Manolos now retail for $3000 but I only paid $99 for mine because they were a customer return at Saks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or