U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 05:47 AM

30,820 posts, read 38,507,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Those body puffs and even loofahs are a breeding ground for bacteria and unfortunately most dermatologists would not recommend them. As for lather, I know we have been conditioned to think it equates to cleanliness but really it is just a function of how much detergent is in the body wash.

If you are worried about exfoliating you are better off with a washcloth.
I really have to disagree. A nylon scruffy does not absorb anything, but just holds the suds while Iím using it. I always rinse it thoroughly and hang it to drip dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 07:01 AM

497 posts, read 190,470 times
I read the title of this thread and to me, "scruffy" means unkempt and somewhat dirty. I have always called that thing a scrubby or a pouf.

Body wash and especially liquid soap, I think, was conceived by marketing directors who were unhappy with how seldom people bought bar soap, which lasts a lot longer than liquid soap.

I use a bar soap in the shower but keep a few travel size body washes for guests.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:39 AM

5,844 posts, read 4,238,604 times
When I'm done with the scruffy it hang it up in front of a fan to dry it quickly so it does not get any mildew. I have been using the same one for two years now and it has no odors.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:37 AM

2,417 posts, read 1,153,277 times
I stocked up on a variety of scented, natural bar soaps made by the Amish. The soap is much cheaper than I've seen anywhere else, but more expensive than store soap. The soap lasts a lot longer though, so we probably break even on the price.

Like someone else mentioned, I enjoy opening a new bar of soap after choosing which scent I want to use. The lemon soap is my favorite. The last two trips to the Amish store found them sold out of the lemon. Drat!

Old 12-03-2017, 08:53 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,200,519 times
Those skooshies are machine washable, also I really can't see how a skooshie that is used once a day has time to get any sort of build up of bacteria. As others have said, rinse well after use and hang to dry and they are fine.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:56 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,243,194 times
I buy french milled bar soap from World Market. It is a large bar and cost around $5.00 but lasts a very long time. It smells wonderful comes in several different scents and is very moisturizing. I also use a fresh washcloth every day.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:00 AM

10,173 posts, read 4,991,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
I've been using body wash for as long as it's been available. I hate loofahs. A clean washcloth each time is better.
I like body wash because it stays "clean" in the bottle and doesn't collect hair like a bar of soap (sorry for that visual!). Also, if you must, body wash can be shared and I'd never share a bar of soap. Body wash also has so many scents and formulas from very light and refreshing in summer or for after a workout to much more moisturizing that is especially good in the winter.

But I do prefer a washcloth just so I know it is truly clean each time I use it. Is there an easy way to "sanitize" the scruffies? ...because they do create a lot of lather using very little of the body wash.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:30 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,844,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I was using Nivea in shower body moisturizer because I get that dry itchy winter skin. It worked. I stopped buying it because I was using it up fast and was a tad expensive. I will get it again. Has anyone tried using Conditioner on their skin and does it work well to keep your skin moist?

What is wrong with using regular lotion right after a shower?

Old 12-03-2017, 10:33 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,844,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
When I'm done with the scruffy it hang it up in front of a fan to dry it quickly so it does not get any mildew. I have been using the same one for two years now and it has no odors.

Ew. They are $2 buy a new one. There is no way a 2-year-old loofah still has its shape and is clean if you shower every day. Even my 11-year-old has enough sense to know not changing them is disgusting. (She came in and read the thread)

Old 12-03-2017, 10:44 AM

30,820 posts, read 38,507,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Ew. They are $2 buy a new one. There is no way a 2-year-old loofah still has its shape and is clean if you shower every day. Even my 11-year-old has enough sense to know not changing them is disgusting. (She came in and read the thread)
I tried a loofa and it got moldy. I also do t think it rinsed as cleanly as the scrunchyscruffyscoochy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty