U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 07:50 PM

232 posts, read 98,079 times

Advertisements

It reminds me of the cast of Jersey Shore. I loved it when my husband used to have guages but even those have mostly gone out of style in a lot of ways. I personally can't stand diamond earrings on a man. It just seems like a dead giveaway that he would constantly be taking shirtless duckface selfies in a public bathroom, and yeah, that's kind of tacky.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 09:09 PM

5,677 posts, read 2,986,918 times
I've always thought ear rings on men look ridiculous. Were I to ever wear ear rings, I would never get past the thought about how silly I look. There are lots of ways to be confident or to gain confidence, but wearing ear rings isn't one them.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:20 PM

5,677 posts, read 2,986,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Back in the day (before 2000) it was a gay thing to wear a solitaire in one ear or the other. I forget which? That will always be the association for me and probably for most old people.
FWIW . . .
The right ear. So the police wouldn't see it during a traffic stop. That's what I've always heard.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:44 PM

8,002 posts, read 5,171,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The right ear. So the police wouldn't see it during a traffic stop. That's what I've always heard.
A good mnemonic anyway.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:54 PM

5,807 posts, read 10,258,640 times
Do it!

I'm 37 and have both mine pierced, and I don't wear them much these days, but I still do on occasion if its an appropriate ocassion (either just the left ear or both).

The solution to a lot of the issues that deal with the miscommunication and misunderstanding between the sexes is for men to be a peacock.

"Peacocking" a good solution to a lot of the problems that we're dealing with today (you know with politicians/celebrities sexually harassing). (Don't get me wrong I know appropriate from non appropriate behavior, but with so much grey area, its best to resort to a different strategy between the sexes).

Dressing in a way/wearing something that makes a statement and that draws a little attention, so that women will compliment you is a great solution to the kinds of things going on. The key is not to go overboard, just a TOUCH!

The way I look at it, provided they are single, when the compliment you, they invited you into their space and have given you permission to flirt, ask them out, etc.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:39 AM

10,565 posts, read 3,192,535 times
I personally don’t like it when men wear any jewelry except maybe a wedding ring. To me its feminine. Just my honest opinion!

Not too long ago I was in line at a store with my young daughter and the guy in front of us had an earring in and my daughter said “ Mommy, why is that boy wearing earrings? He’s not a girl”! I was a little embarrassed and told her sometimes boys wear earrings too and she just looked at me with this confused look on her face.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:38 AM

5,286 posts, read 3,738,664 times
^This makes no sense. If you understand that your "opinion" isn't based on anything legitimate, is that not grounds for changing said opinion? The response you should've given your daughter is that "earrings aren't just for females".

Old 12-09-2017, 10:44 AM

10,565 posts, read 3,192,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
^This makes no sense. If you understand that your "opinion" isn't based on anything legitimate is that not grounds for changing said opinion? The response you should've given your daughter is that "earrings aren't just for females".

My response to my young child was "boys wear earrings too", which is correct. I have no problem with men wearing jewelry, but IMO I don't like earrings on them. Personally I don't feel earrings are manly.

Last edited by CGab; 12-09-2017 at 11:20 AM..

Old 12-09-2017, 10:48 AM

5,286 posts, read 3,738,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
It does make sense because in MY OPINION earring are meant for females. However, my response to my young child was "boys wear earrings too". I didn't phrase it your way (earrings aren't just for females) because IMHO that's not true.
Except it is true. There's evidence of men wearing earrings that dates all the way back to ancient times. An opinion means nothing if it's simply wrong.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:02 AM

4,550 posts, read 1,966,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Except it is true. There's evidence of men wearing earrings that dates all the way back to ancient times. An opinion means nothing if it's simply wrong.
Exactly!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earring

Funny, in the animal kingdom, of which humans are a part, the male of the species is clearly the most ornate. LOL. I’m always amazed at how little boys have the most beautiful, long eyelashes. We women would kill for those!

Wearing earrings? Pffft. It’s a personal preference. Harmless. What’s the big deal? Don’t like them? Don’t wear them!

BTW, Mr. Clean wears an earring. Very ‘manly’. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty