Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:26 PM

562 posts, read 2,402,575 times

Advertisements

I am so glad to hear some agreement, but I'm fine if not everyone likes every outfit I wear. By the way, I am not talking about the really short skirts at this point, the best is 3-4 inches above the knee, and not if I am going to be doing alot of bending,etc.. So good to hear there are women out there who want fashion without dictatorship. By the way, I don't let my middle school s wear their extra short minis to school w/o leggings . Even though they look great, not for school. Thanks for all the responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:28 PM

562 posts, read 2,402,575 times
Internet parental controls must block the word describing the gender of my daughters.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:30 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,222 times
No capris if you're overweight. Sorry, but if you're roundish they just make you look shorter and fatter.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:29 PM

531 posts, read 1,743,396 times
I love my capris and,if they are still in style ,will wear them in the summer until I'm 60 (or older)! I'm short,and don't like how I look in shorts,so capris are a nice compromise for me (cooler than pants in warm weather). As for minis, as long as they aren't the micro minis I don't see why women who have the figure for them shouldn't wear them if they are over 35!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:44 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,206,908 times
I am just at 40. I love capris. And I still wear shorts-not short shorts, about mid-thigh khaki type shorts. As a matter of personal preference I dont do skirts-EXCEPT ankle length which I think are really neat when worn with nice flats or boots. (Tho I am either apparently taller than the average woman or have longer legs so it is fairly difficult to actually find an ankle length skirt-they usually end up mid-calf which is definitely not my taste.)

But I will not do mini skirts anymore. Could I pull it off? I think so. But I dont have quite the interest I did when I was in my mid-20s for every passerby seeing my under garments everytime I bend over. LOL!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
Oh well, I guess I'll be breaking another Oprah rule then.

I love capris, they're so comfortable in the hot weather. I can't imagine me ever not wearing them and I'm not too fussed if other people have decided it's not age appropriate. I look forward to wearing them into my 80s!

I've never really been one for mini skirts but I think if you like something and you're comfortable and it makes you happy wear what you like.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:56 PM

408 posts, read 695,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
OK- Summer is coming and I will be the big 40 this July. Just heard one of Oprah's fashion Nazis outlawed capri style pants for those over 40 and Staci and Clinton already have their "no mini- skirts past 35" law. Now, ladies, my busom is past its glory, by 26" waist is now low 30 something, but when I work out, my legs are truly nice. At least from the mid thigh down. Why must I make sure my skirts come down to the knees instead of a little higher,and why cant I wear my cute Ralph Lauren trouser or my Old Navy cargo style Capris this Summer? I am a tasteful, relatively fit gal ? What gives? Are the fashionistas afraid that I will don a stonewashed micro mini or dowdy Capris that look like polyester cruisewear? Why can't they trust women to assess their own figures and tastes and make good choices instead of issuing these mandates? Of course I will still be wearing what I think works for me. What do the rest of you think?
If you have the body then go right ahead...I am a younger gal and I wish I could talk my mother into wearing something showing a little more skin on those hot summer days!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:43 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,104 times
I don't understand the problem with capri's. I'm "older" and think the fashion police would agree my style offends no one. I just got a couple of tunic tops and capri leggings that I love. When the weather gets hotter I don't want to wear short shorts and don't want to wear long pants. I'm in good shape. Maybe if I had a weight problem and were short I wouldn't want to wear what I do. I hate to say Oprah is wrong but on this one she is wrong.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:54 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
I am 53 and in good, trim shape, size 6.
My skin is not exactly what it used to be--too much fun in the sun in the 70's. My legs might be shaped okay, but I don't think anyone is particularly interested in viewing my alligator skin.
I wear capris, and occasionally I'll wear skirts that skim the knee.
If the Fashion Police deem this improper, too bad.
I also wear Red Hot Chili Pepper t-shirts--the horror!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:11 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,502 times
OK.. all I'm hearing is no capris over 40... what the heck are you suppose to wear in the summer??? Not mini skirts..or short shorts. what??? Jeans? floor length skirts...what am I suppose to wear at the beach.. a berka??!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty