Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:16 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
oh, puleeze, who told those people they had any taste, anyway????
I am 46, 5'10", weigh 160, and live in Fl, where its a gabillion degrees for 9 months, I live in capris!
I wear pressed ones, with a fitted, collared shirt, and cute heeled sandals all summer for work. I wear them with cute t shirts, and flat sandals for casual.
The worst rule I break? My hair is down past my shoulders. Why, oh why is it a sin to have long hair past 40???? I dont think I look bad at all, what do y'all think? I'm in the middle.

Ahhhh...the "porterhouse pic"....ROTFL!!! (That's Mike's intake on it...)
Seriously....you look much younger, and you look great with your hair.
It all dependents on how somebody looks, what their body style and personality is.
I hate when someone says: No mini skirts past 35" or "no long hair past 40"....making it sound like, it's a "secret formula" to live by, and that "one size fit's all thing".
Since we live here in Florida, I can assure you, that comfortable in the heat (amongst loose fitting fabrics, preferably cottons) is the key to live and enjoy it here.
Plus, whatever makes you feel good wearing.......
Capris are so "in" right now, and look either totally casual, or dressed up with a nice top and high heels.

I am "funny" in a way...I can't say, that I am a "trend junkie" following the newest fashion, but, I do take note of the color scheme going on.
I usually "play it safe" by buying stuff I will still be able to wear 2- 3 years from now.
Capris and 3/4 pants are one of them.......and they never seem to go out of style, but just come back with a different color.
Worst case scenario?
Color, dye them yourself (I do )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 09:19 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Old women can wear capris. And I mean old women. Not women in their fourties or fifties. There's no reason why they shouldn't be able to-- capris don't reveal a whole lot.

And frankly I see old women at the beach frequently wearing pedal pushers, and I think they look cute In an adorable sort of way.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:36 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
I think the problem is that some women cannot divorce themselves from their egos, and view themselves impartially.

I think Barbara Walters chooses clothing that seems to harmonize with her face, and attitude, etc. Her clothing seems to forecast the sort of person that she is. I think DeeDee Myers dresses well, and Rachel Maddow. They are all different 'types', and I think their choice of clothing and 'look' tells a person what they are about.

When I shop my reasoning sometimes clouds. I then ask myself if Barbara or DeeDee would be seen in this garment? If the answer is definately 'no', I move on. It just gives balance to my decisions.

First impressions are important and we attract a certain sort of company by our decorum and dress.

I think of the sort of person that I am, and my body type and then check my wardrobe out and ask 'is this me?' I have a full length mirror on the back of my door, so when I go out I see what the world sees.

Oprah has these fashion gurus on her show. We have to realize that they make no money unless they can con us into continually recycling our clothing. I cannot remember when, if ever, I ever learned anything from any one of them. Just use common sense.

I have noticed lately that some women are wearing things way too tight. Clothing like that requires a perfect body as well as a perfect fit. I even notice, on tv, some women have the button in the middle of their blouses trying to pop. That does not look sexy. It makes the woman look unprofessional and cheap. Sometimes blouses with a slightly fitted waist are fitted to some other woman's waist, and not yours. If your clothing is tight and you cannot afford expert tailoring, looser is much better than tighter unless you are a young kid or work out and really have a firm body.

If you purchase a tight skirt or slacks, make sure it looks as good when viewed straight-on from the back. I notice even some models, with perfect figures, do not show you this view. Also, make sure you have a chair by the try-on mirror and try sitting down. Some things that are short or tight look horrible when the person sits or bends down. Unless, of course, you like that look.

We live in a big country with many mega-societies. Not everyone should want to look the same. My comments reflect my taste and style. It would be a pretty boring world if everyone agreed, no?

Also, I have seen some women with completely grey hair who let it grow long and I think it can be stunning. I don't feel there is a cutoff age for things. It sometimes is a shock to be behind someone who has really nice hair and she turns around and there is a road map of wrinkles on her face. Some people appear more harmoneous, perhaps more graceful, with grey hair.

The fashion industry used to manipulate people, changing styles each year. It got so that women could not buy simple, conservative clothing that lasted throuh the years. They lost money when women got jobs and required a few well made suits, just as men did. Now, they are trying to manipulate us again. Don't fall for it.

I think, on Oprah, some of the woman after the makeovers do not look that good at all. The before pictures are what a woman might wear shopping, comfortable shoes and clothing easy to take off when trying on clothes. The 'afters' are often cute little outfits that she might wear on a date or on holidays, visiting relatives, or to work. I do not like the trendy looks that you just know will go out of style quickly. I think those sparkly handbags that are both heavy and impracticle will not last.

That said, I am considering going on a cruise and might hit the stores in gleefull anticipation soon. How I love the internet. Peering at clothing online gives you an 'eye' for what you want, so you will be less likely (if you do not follow clothing regularly) to come home with something you don't like or something that is trendy and will be dated very soon.

I was looking for gowns for cruisewear, and they had mostly silk, which is hard to keep clean and wrinkle free. I do not like supporting my local cleaners, either. Now, that the spring is here, I notice much more available that is packable and appear to be in washable fabrics, though they all say 'dry clean'.

I have read that most silks are better washed. In warm, not cold, water. Never soaked. Just dip in and out of sudsy water, then rinse water. Pat inside layers of towel. Do not wring. Hang to air dry, not in sun. Silk often contains some sort of sizing to give it body. Both washing and dry cleaning remove this, so the fabric eventually goes limp. Also, dry cleaning for silk is not the same as for other fabrics. It is such a hassle. Pity it's so pretty when new.

Sorry to get off topic.

Can I just mention another thing? On one show, Oprah mentioned that she uses flax seed oil for all her frying. I bought some. It tastes something like fish. I can not believe she ever had her eggs fried in that stuff.
A few shows later she announced that her personal chef had left and started his own restaurant. Perhaps he was not being stricktly honest with her about that oil and she made that erroneous comment on tv? Hmmm.

Last edited by goldengrain; 03-25-2008 at 09:03 AM..

Old 03-25-2008, 08:48 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I see no reason why somebody over 35 should sweat and get overheated (i.e. not wear capris) in muggy weather because somebody else doesn't think they look good or "appropriate."

Capris aren't the best look for my body type (my legs are short) but for heaven's sake I'm not going to roast all summer just because it's not my very best look!

Now what I think looks funny are people that wear capris with sneakers.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:59 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
Im 30 and am very insecure about my legs. I have as someone else said "Jelly legs", they are very thin though but almost too thin. I wont wear short shorts, and skirts are shorter but tasteful. My mom and sister have the same legs but wear shoooort shorts, and I think it looks awful. At least there are women out there that can feel good about themselves without trying to recapture thier youth in teen wear! Yuuuck, there is nothing worse than an adult who shops in the teen department, unless your very tiny!!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Ahhhh...the "porterhouse pic"....ROTFL!!! (That's Mike's intake on it...)
Seriously....you look much younger, and you look great with your hair.
It all dependents on how somebody looks, what their body style and personality is.
I hate when someone says: No mini skirts past 35" or "no long hair past 40"....making it sound like, it's a "secret formula" to live by, and that "one size fit's all thing".
Since we live here in Florida, I can assure you, that comfortable in the heat (amongst loose fitting fabrics, preferably cottons) is the key to live and enjoy it here.
Plus, whatever makes you feel good wearing.......
Capris are so "in" right now, and look either totally casual, or dressed up with a nice top and high heels.

I am "funny" in a way...I can't say, that I am a "trend junkie" following the newest fashion, but, I do take note of the color scheme going on.
I usually "play it safe" by buying stuff I will still be able to wear 2- 3 years from now.
Capris and 3/4 pants are one of them.......and they never seem to go out of style, but just come back with a different color.
Worst case scenario?
Color, dye them yourself (I do )
You look great! Really, you dont allow your age to show, your hair is beautiful so I say keep it long! I'd say cut it if you colored it or if it looked dry and ratty, clearly this isnt the case!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:02 AM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I'll wear whatever I damn well please until I die, and screw anyone who doesn't like it.

Where on earth do these people come from that make up these "rules"? It's downright ridiculous; although what's even more ridiculous is when other people follow those rules.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:03 AM

Ive been starting to wear sundresses a bit more. They are much cooler and I find them much more comfortable in the hot weather. They are just above my knees or maybe a bit shorter, and YES they always have straps so I can wear my bra!!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 AM

12 posts, read 14,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'll wear whatever I damn well please until I die, and screw anyone who doesn't like it.

Where on earth do these people come from that make up these "rules"? It's downright ridiculous; although what's even more ridiculous is when other people follow those rules.
Excellent quote. Wear whatever you want!

I do wish more people (men & women) would actually take a serious look in the mirror before they walk out the door!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Ive been starting to wear sundresses a bit more. They are much cooler and I find them much more comfortable in the hot weather. They are just above my knees or maybe a bit shorter, and YES they always have straps so I can wear my bra!!
I love sundresses, but I do not like wearing stockings (except socks).
I cannot go barefoot in most shoes because my feet sweat.
They are clean, but just sweat. I wear clogs a lot because I can
wash them easily.
So I usually wear slacks and socks and sandels.

Also, I like walking a lot and the more feminine shoes are not always comfortable. You don't notice this unless you go about a mile and then you feel the chaffing. I probably will go to some sporting goods store to see if they have anything that can be worn with a dress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty