U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 AM

342 posts, read 1,098,311 times
Since when is Oprah the new authority on Fashion? Have you seen the horrendous stuff she has worn over the years? I think that if you are comfortable, then wear it. Also, Kshe, you look lovely. I would keep your hair just as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:26 AM

832 posts, read 1,867,619 times
I'm over 50 now, and although I'm in good shape with toned legs I feel I have to give some thought to what's appropriate and inappropriate. I have a short denim skirt that's knee length and I think that's fine. I wear shorts in the hot weather, but not short-shorts.

I think capris are appropriate for all ages. It seems a lot of women think they're unflattering, but I disagree. If a woman has heavy legs, for instance, which is gonna look better on her: capris or short-shorts? Yet I see a lot of women with big thighs wearing short-shorts which hit just at the thickest part of the thigh. I think they'd look a lot better in longer shorts or capris.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:26 AM

24,626 posts, read 29,686,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Also, I like walking a lot and the more feminine shoes are not always comfortable. You don't notice this unless you go about a mile and then you feel the chaffing. I probably will go to some sporting goods store to see if they have anything that can be worn with a dress.
I am a huge fan of shoes from Lands End. They've got a wide selection of sandals and other shoes that are comfortable, and would look reasonable with a dress.

I just bought of pair of Mary Janes from Lands End, and can't wait until the weather warms up a tad so I can wear them!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:19 PM

8,002 posts, read 12,861,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
OK- Summer is coming and I will be the big 40 this July. Just heard one of Oprah's fashion Nazis outlawed capri style pants for those over 40 and Staci and Clinton already have their "no mini- skirts past 35" law. Now, ladies, my busom is past its glory, by 26" waist is now low 30 something, but when I work out, my legs are truly nice. At least from the mid thigh down. Why must I make sure my skirts come down to the knees instead of a little higher,and why cant I wear my cute Ralph Lauren trouser or my Old Navy cargo style Capris this Summer? I am a tasteful, relatively fit gal ? What gives? Are the fashionistas afraid that I will don a stonewashed micro mini or dowdy Capris that look like polyester cruisewear? Why can't they trust women to assess their own figures and tastes and make good choices instead of issuing these mandates? Of course I will still be wearing what I think works for me. What do the rest of you think?

I haven't read all the replies yet. But I'm wondering what is wrong with capri pants for women over 40. I would think women of any age could wear them I don't understand, what is wrong with them??? It's not like they are sexy or revealing. I don't see a problem with an 80 year old woman wearing them. Since when are ankles too revealing?

Anyway, I'm 36, I wear capris and skirts. I don't think I personally would wear an ultra mini skirt with heels anymore. But I would wear a regular mid thigh miniskirt with flat sandals.

Everyone is different and has a different body type. You should be the judge of what you should wear or not. If someone is not a good judge, then ask a good friend, your husband or your mother! LOL

My husband is instructed to tell me if anything looks like crap on me, sometimes you just don't realize things.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:18 PM

12,411 posts, read 8,926,635 times
I have not been to Europe.
Are there many fat old women going to nude beaches or sporting bikinis?
Sometimes what we call 'taste' is heavily geared to what we are used to seeing.

I remember, when I was a sweet young thing and had one of my first jobs, we had a secretary. She was an older woman with a face that really told on all the days she stewed under the hot sun for a nice tan. She still wore minis and high heeled, patent boots. She had bleached blonde hair, teased to the sky.

I noted that all the women who wished to be taken seriously sported more sober attire, even though they could pull off the 'fashion' look.

THis may sound strange, but how many 'role models' do older women have in the media? I mean, women who do not appear to be desperately trying to regain their youth?

I was thinking of a cruise in my retirement years. They have formal nights. I notice that most of the stores carry very little selection for the older women, though retired people have the time, and sometimes the money, to take these vacations. The cocktail dresses, many of them, are mostly above the knee. The gowns, most, reveal the invariable droops that occur with age. Many of the offerings for the older woman look like things seen in the old black and white films of the 40's.

You'd also think there would be more mix 'n match pieces. Most people do not go to a lot of formal occaisions, so the inclination is to purchase something that will age well in the wadrobe.

I have found some nice looking clothing that I will be happy to purchase, but I just think there could be more of it. Thank goodness for the internet, so I do not have to wander into a store and just buy whatever they have.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:34 PM

2,926 posts, read 4,418,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
oh, puleeze, who told those people they had any taste, anyway????
I am 46, 5'10", weigh 160, and live in Fl, where its a gabillion degrees for 9 months, I live in capris!
I wear pressed ones, with a fitted, collared shirt, and cute heeled sandals all summer for work. I wear them with cute t shirts, and flat sandals for casual.
The worst rule I break? My hair is down past my shoulders. Why, oh why is it a sin to have long hair past 40???? I dont think I look bad at all, what do y'all think? I'm in the middle.
I think you look fantastic!!! I have always had long hair and I love it! I've NEVER given a *flip* what anyone thinks about how I dress. (Except for my loving hubby ) I haven't worn a mini in public for a few years...by my own choice.

I DO have 6 grandkids after all. I wear whatever is comfortable to me and makes him weak in the knees.

If the 'biddies' (young or old) want to point and laugh... let 'em.

I am 48 years old, 5'10 and 155... the hubby is 5'6 and LOVES it when I wear heels for him.

My motto? If it feels good WEAR IT!

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 09-17-2008 at 02:07 PM..

Old 03-26-2008, 05:39 PM

8,002 posts, read 12,861,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
I think you look fantastic!!! I have always had long hair and I love it! I've NEVER given a *flip* what anyone thinks about how I dress. (Except for my loving hubby ) I haven't worn a mini in public for a few years...by my own choice.

I DO have 6 grandkids after all. I wear whatever is comfortable to me and makes him weak in the knees.

If the 'biddies' (young or old) want to point and laugh... let 'em.

I am 48 years old, 5'10 and 155... the hubby is 5'6 and LOVES it when I wear heels for him.

This pic is from Jan. of last year...

My motto? If it feels good WEAR IT!
Oh my!!! You look GREAT!!! I stand corrected on my quote!!! I'm gonna go out and get me a mini skirt to go with my heels now!!! LOL

You look better than some people half your age!!

Nobody is gonna be pointing and laughing at you, just men drooling

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 09-17-2008 at 02:09 PM..

Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 PM

48,550 posts, read 44,620,692 times
i have seen some whales in short skirt and 2 piece.
for me maturity is knowing when to keep my shirt on around the girls.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:47 PM

23,444 posts, read 16,584,109 times
ladyrobyn, ya look fabulous! Wish my legs looked that good, I'd show 'em off!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:50 PM

2,926 posts, read 4,418,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
ladyrobyn, ya look fabulous! Wish my legs looked that good, I'd show 'em off!
Dark hose with a little 'support' ... Hides a multitude of sins...

I bet you'd look fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty