Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 10:06 AM

503 posts, read 597,583 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite luxury brands fpr men that you think are actually worth the money?

On the flip side, which ones do you not like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 11:08 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
What category of things are you looking for? Shoes? Bags? Suits? Shirts? Coats? Jeans? Athleisure?

Old 12-24-2017, 12:14 PM

503 posts, read 597,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What category of things are you looking for? Shoes? Bags? Suits? Shirts? Coats? Jeans? Athleisure?
Mainly thinking of premium brands like: YSL, Burberry, Balenciaga, Hermes, Dior, etc.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:36 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
For me, I don't think really any are worth the money. For example, I haven't noticed any major difference in quality between Polo Ralph Lauren vs. a mid-range brand like IZOD. For significantly less money while being premium grade, IZOD seems to be a much better bang for the buck for what you get.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
Mainly thinking of premium brands like: YSL, Burberry, Balenciaga, Hermes, Dior, etc.
That’s not the question. Not all brands are good at all things. Not all things are worth investing in. So it depends.

Like personally I wouldn’t invest in clothing from those brands, but a bag is fine. I’d skip shoes as well. But I would buy cheaper high-end shoes.

I’d consider a classic coat from MaxMara. A classic Burberry coat is a pretty good investment since assuming you stay the same size, will last you seasons.

A t-shirt would be a waste of time in my book.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:47 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
I'm more interested in quality than a logo. Anyone impressed with a logo isn't someone I'd be likely to associate with.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:46 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Buying well made things is still a wise way to save money in the long run, if you have extra money to save that is.. Top shelf Italian made men's shoes are a real luxury, they "pay" for themselves in comfort if nothing else. I bought a Burberry sport coat years ago and it is still in very good condition, as opposed to some of the cheaper Ralph Lauren jackets I've bought and long since tossed. The economics of clothing are always mindful of the fit and finish of the garment being considered, and those who know good quality will see the reason for a higher price, those who don't know quality when they see it, or, just don't wear nice clothing all that much won't pay for the better workmanship and fabric.

I prefer Ferragamo shoes for dress and Bally for driving mocs or any casual wear. Austyn jeans, for wearing with a sport coat and plain old Levis for kickin around. Men's slacks, I've found to be all over the scale of both quality and price, Zanella, or Boss are two favorites that I've gotten a lot of mileage out of for the money, there are way more expensive brands but again, price doesn't always equate with comfort, or build quality. Winter coats, Burberry and the upper end of Brooks Brothers works well, both are well made and acceptably stylish. Shirts, Barba Napoli, Boss, or Brooks Bro's are all well made shirts and usually available in great colors.

The trend toward a more casual clothing style has taken hold, and I'm all for that, but it doesn't change the fact that we all will need to be dressed appropriately from time to time, and when we do want to dress up we should be aware of what looks presentable and what can never be thought of as acceptable. Why are women usually better dressed than the men they are out with? I think it has to do with men's views on clothing, many don't know how to dress, and worse, many feel they are not being true to themselves when they are dressed well. But that is simply a rural mentality which has blossomed into a mainstream consciousness. Being well dressed is a testimony not to one's ego, but moreover, to one's sense of respect.

"Looking good isn't self-importance; it's self-respect."
—Charles Hix, Author...

Old 12-25-2017, 01:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
I think anything higher than the brand ranges Cole Haan, Boss, Kors, etc, is not worth the money regarding quality and design. This is being very general.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:54 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Woolrich. Absolutely LOVE their jackets. A lot of their stuff is also made in the USA. Aldens for shoes.

Not really a fan of the gaudy Italian super famous luxury brands. Some of the styles are absolutely obnoxious for the prices you pay. Gucci, Armani, ......bleh. Not a fan of Montcler jackets either. I'm not going hiking up the Andes or the Mt. Everest.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:49 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
I agree with all thoses...

would also add...

Givenchy
Gucci
Dolce and Gabana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty