U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 09:15 PM

3,975 posts, read 3,144,665 times

Advertisements

Its color is the closest to platinum than virtually all metals out there.

It is very low cost.

It is a lot more scratch resistant than platinum, gold, and silver.

In other words, it is more durable, more shiny (scratch resistance), virtually the same color as platinum, and very inexpensive. Why is it not more often used as wedding bands (especially for men), other than the fact that it is inexpensive (which should be a plus)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 10:02 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,399,524 times
Probably because plain gold bands are relatively inexpensive.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:09 PM

8,054 posts, read 3,896,137 times
When choosing the symbol of a lifelong commitment that is going to be worn every single day, I'm not interested in going inexpensive. There are plenty of other ways to save money. That doesn't mean spending an exorbitant amount, but if there's another style that I prefer, I'm willing to spend more money. Personally, I don't like "more shiny," so cobalt chrome isn't for me.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:30 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 8 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,508,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post

It is very low cost.

In other words, it is more durable, more shiny (scratch resistance), virtually the same color as platinum, and very inexpensive. Why is it not more often used as wedding bands (especially for men), other than the fact that it is inexpensive (which should be a plus)?
Maybe not many people know about it. I do like shiny and the bands are nice but when you get into the white/silver "colors" I'd would just buy silver and save the money.

As for a wedding band I like my yellow gold but that is because I can wear it with my engagement ring. I like only yellow gold with diamonds and I don't think a silver colored band would look good with it.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:57 AM

6,167 posts, read 3,259,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post

It is very low cost.

Precisely because it's low cost and not a fine metal.

You could get a paper cigar band every year, and it would always look new. Very low cost, too. But what would that say about the marriage?

Old 01-01-2018, 07:07 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 8 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,508,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
You could get a paper cigar band every year, and it would always look new. Very low cost, too. But what would that say about the marriage?

What? People should buy what they like.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:58 AM

3,975 posts, read 3,144,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Precisely because it's low cost and not a fine metal.

You're equating the price of the wedding ring to the marriage? Are you one of those who equate the size of the wedding to the solidity of the marriage?

Old 01-01-2018, 12:25 PM

3,785 posts, read 8,773,425 times
Can you cut it off if you need to? That's one of the reasons I'd never get any rings made of tungsten.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:29 PM

3,128 posts, read 1,224,267 times
Tradition!

Old 01-01-2018, 12:32 PM

10,864 posts, read 18,917,965 times
I've been married 20 years and my husband has had at least 10 wedding bands during that time. I am absolutely a fan of cheaper, more durable wedding rings. There was the original gold band I bought him, which he outgrew after six months of marriage, the larger replacement band I bought which he lost down a porta potty, the one from a pawnshop with a couple of little diamonds, which was stolen from our apartment, a big sterling silver band he promised not to lose but lost almost immediately, and so on.

Right now, while he's in what I jokingly call his tacti-cool phase, his ring of choice is a black, matte finish stainless steel band. $9 on Amazon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or