Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times

Advertisements

Fashionable or not, I like them in the summer. I'm too old to run around in a skimpy tee, and anyway, I hate myself in a crew neck. But, I don't fool myself that they are a fashion statement. If you are 20 or so, then of course you wouldn't like most polos. But not all of us are 20 or so.

And mature men do like them. They do golf in them, and even wear them casually with nice slacks.

But, no, if you are fashion forward, then I imagine you would disdain them, especially if you ever had to wear them as a work uniform. That would be like trying to sell a former parochial school girl on a plain skirt! I get that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 12:15 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
It's quite difficult to see the difference on a computer screen except if the photo is very high resolution. If you see them in person you can easily see and feel the difference. Pique has a mesh texture, while interlock has a soft and smooth texture.

Well, thanks for clarifying that. Now I know that my crappy work shirt was pique...I suspected that. Night made.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:37 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,665,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
It seems that there is a gap in men's vs. women's polo shirts in the knit or material. It seems that most men's polo shirt lineups are dominated by piqué or performance polos, or a hybrid of the two, while women's polo shirt lineups seem to have a greater proportion of interlock polos in comparison to men's lineups.

Am I correct to assume that men are more likely to prefer piqué or performance polos, while women are more likely to prefer interlock polos? Is interlock perceived as more "feminine"?
I've totally wondered about this myself. I'm wondering if it's because the womens are cut a bit differently (more fitted).
Back in the 80s Izod had the pique in womens but they were almost (if not exact) same cut as the mens shirts. This is all assuming I am remembering correctly.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:30 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Fashionable or not, I like them in the summer. I'm too old to run around in a skimpy tee, and anyway, I hate myself in a crew neck. But, I don't fool myself that they are a fashion statement. If you are 20 or so, then of course you wouldn't like most polos. But not all of us are 20 or so.

And mature men do like them. They do golf in them, and even wear them casually with nice slacks.

But, no, if you are fashion forward, then I imagine you would disdain them, especially if you ever had to wear them as a work uniform. That would be like trying to sell a former parochial school girl on a plain skirt! I get that.
Yeah...I really don't equate polos with work uniforms - and even if so, it is better looking than a crummy t-shirt! I see nothing wrong with polos as casual wear - they used to be better fitting than now, I guess.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:04 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
I've never worn a polo shirt in my entire 63 years. I am petite with a short neck so I avoid anything with a collar as much as possible.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:44 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,323,427 times
I just ordered an interlock polo in my favorite shade of pink (Fairy Tale). I don't buy a lot of interlock due to the generally limited selection, but I was lucky enough to find it in my favorite shade of pink this year.

Interestingly, I am expected to receive it on Valentine's Day (assuming Amazon's estimate is correct) along with two other shirts in Fairy Tale (a striped hybrid pique performance polo and a T-shirt). I must be pretty lucky finding a lot in that color for this spring.

Last year I only bought an interlock polo in a color known as Rose of Sharon. Most of my polo shirt purchases are the hybrid pique performance polos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty