U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 05:11 PM

23,007 posts, read 22,042,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf1958 View Post
oooh, Matron! Nudge, nudge, wink, wink! knowwhatimean?
LOL, I was thinking that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 05:18 PM

23,007 posts, read 22,042,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
As a 40+ year old woman, I dress based on how I feel and what I like not how old I am. I don't try to look like a twenty year old, but I'm not ready for Sag Harbor either. I wear ripped denim and boots too and if that makes you laugh, then so be it. It's not like I'm noticing/caring anyway.

BTW, my skin isn't sagging and I wear my hair very short. Why don't people let women just age in peace. You do you, let me be me. I'm fully aware that I can't stop the clock but there's no reason that I should change who I am because of that.
Does anyone below the age of 65 want to buy clothing from a company called Sag Harbor?

Old 02-05-2018, 06:02 PM

1,706 posts, read 855,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Does anyone below the age of 65 want to buy clothing from a company called Sag Harbor?
Why would anyone of any age? 65+ don't stop caring either.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:37 PM

17,713 posts, read 15,069,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You are just looking at older women and the older fashions, hairstyles and makeup from your own perspective (you see women as sex objects) and your lack of understanding or experience about what was morally and socially acceptable in the past.

Back then if women of any age had publically dressed in the way you think makes women today look attractive, hot, cute, sexy they'd have been facing criminal charges of moral turpitude (it's a legal term, look it up if you don't know what it means) and shunning by the community. In some other societies today there are still some cultures where women of any age can be charged with moral turpitude, excommunicated, shunned, cast out or even be stoned to death for looking like eye-candy to other people.

Part of the reasons for that is for stupid religious restrictions and part of it is because there are still a lot of brutal men with no impulse control who only see and judge women as sex objects.

It's not because the women wanted to look decrepit, it was because they were forced to look decrepit. I really don't understand why it seems to be so difficult for so many young people like yourself in western society today to comprehend that and to stop judging womens' appearances as though they are expected to be dressed like store mannequins, clothes horses and sex toys.

No one was forced to look older in the 60's and 70's. Maybe the 20's or 30's but not the period under discussion.

Society then however regarded women over 50 as no longer in the game, and the fashions reflected that. Just like if you were a size 22 back then, you had little to choose from, and for exactly the same reason.

Look at pics of Miss America's from the 70's, even they all look 15 years older than their age. Not because of them as people, but the fashions and hair-do's of the day made them look older.

I don't understand why people feel so insulted and defensive about this topic.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:57 PM

6,147 posts, read 5,891,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

No one was forced to look older in the 60's and 70's. Maybe the 20's or 30's but not the period under discussion.

Society then however regarded women over 50 as no longer in the game, and the fashions reflected that. Just like if you were a size 22 back then, you had little to choose from, and for exactly the same reason.

Look at pics of Miss America's from the 70's, even they all look 15 years older than their age. Not because of them as people, but the fashions and hair-do's of the day made them look older.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that the discussion was about a specific period of time in the past. Could you please direct me to the posts that indicate which period of time is under discussion? I might have missed something about that, but I was focusing on the original post by OP who only mentions "the past" with reference to old movies and photographs that he's viewed. Of course movies and photographs existed in the 20's and 30's too.

Now with your reference to the 1960's and 70's I'd have to disagree to some extent about older women not still being expected to look their age or older. It's true the 1960's were revolutionary for changes in fashion and cosmetics and attitude but it was mainly young people in their teens to 30's who were taking advantage of the new freedom to express themselves through their manner of dress and let it all hang out and be radical.

Who is aware of women aged 40 and older during the 1960's who dressed as hippy flower children? I'm not and I was there doing the weekend flower child hippy thing with long flowing clothes, wild hair and makeup in the 60's ...... (even including the neon white eyeliner and lipstick, which I see is now making a come back again for the third time in the past 60 years). But I wouldn't have dared to go to work not looking dowdily dressed and older than my real age at my place of employment though, otherwise I could have been fired from my job. There were certain "standards" of dress code, hair styles and cosmetics use that were expected of working women, right down to the colour of lipstick or nail polish a woman (of any age) was allowed to wear in the work place. Women in their 40's and older were expected to appear matronly and severe right into the mid 1970's and the fashion industry did its best to keep them that way. Their focus was on glorifying youth.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:14 PM

461 posts, read 320,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I've wondered the same. And one angle might be.. they were older.. in a way. Lifespan was shorter and marriage happened earlier. There were different rules of propriety... (women over 30 shouldn't have long hair, dresses had to reach here...etc) and most of those 'rules' probably tended to age one.
Styles have now progressed to intentionally keep one looking younger, back then it was intended generally (I think) to convey a certain panache.
Young girls still want to look older when they're 12, 13, 16... only older now still has a youth appearance and in their quest to be older, now, its not only looks.. it's behavior. 13 yr olds trying to do what 20 yr olds do.
Once upon a time a little girl was a little girl. Then she reached a certain age and suddenly she was a young lady and I don't think there was very much in the way of transition time or fashion. She either dressed and fixed hair like a little girl or suddenly, like the ladies. Not much in between.
People seem to get offended if a woman over 40 dresses like a 30 year old. OMG *clutching pearls*

Women who hit a certain age are expected to also chop their hair off because long hair is youthful and by golly, we can't have them walking around looking old with young looking hair. It might confuse people if they look at you from the back!

Then again any woman with very long hair is expected to cut and donate it. Why can't she keep and enjoy her long hair?

People are weird.

I LOVE that older women are coloring their hair funky colors and wearing fun stuff and enjoying themselves. There's time enough to be dead when you're actually dead.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:13 AM

2,386 posts, read 2,137,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Hers was a bit surprising because it was around 1970. Maybe she saw Klute in 1971 and got one then.
Yeah.. I had one in '73 also.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:16 AM

2,386 posts, read 2,137,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Agree. I'm quite surprised at the bitterness and comments I'm seeing in some posts. Some people see a devil behind every tree.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:16 AM

14,718 posts, read 29,894,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
People seem to get offended if a woman over 40 dresses like a 30 year old. OMG *clutching pearls*

Women who hit a certain age are expected to also chop their hair off because long hair is youthful and by golly, we can't have them walking around looking old with young looking hair. It might confuse people if they look at you from the back!

Then again any woman with very long hair is expected to cut and donate it. Why can't she keep and enjoy her long hair?

People are weird.

I LOVE that older women are coloring their hair funky colors and wearing fun stuff and enjoying themselves. There's time enough to be dead when you're actually dead.
Ain't that the truth! At 68 y.o. I have decided I am going to enjoy myself and have as much fun as I can for whatever time I have left! I dress how I want, and I just joined a rock band!

Old 02-06-2018, 09:17 AM

13,965 posts, read 7,522,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
The divorce rate is down.
The trend over the last 40 plus years is certainly UP. My point is that there are a lot more independent women out there that haven't let themselves go because they are stuck with a husband, and don't feel the need to keep themselves looking good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or