U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 09:20 AM

21,585 posts, read 22,893,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The trend over the last 40 plus years is certainly UP. My point is that there are a lot more independent women out there that haven't let themselves go because they are stuck with a husband, and don't feel the need to keep themselves looking good.
Off topic, but here you go: Divorce Rate in U.S. Drops to Nearly 40-Year Low | Time

Quote:
The U.S. divorce rate dropped for the third year in a row, reaching its lowest point in nearly 40 years, according to data released Thursday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 09:20 AM

2,386 posts, read 2,135,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
People seem to get offended if a woman over 40 dresses like a 30 year old. OMG *clutching pearls*

Women who hit a certain age are expected to also chop their hair off because long hair is youthful and by golly, we can't have them walking around looking old with young looking hair. It might confuse people if they look at you from the back!

Then again any woman with very long hair is expected to cut and donate it. Why can't she keep and enjoy her long hair?

People are weird.

I LOVE that older women are coloring their hair funky colors and wearing fun stuff and enjoying themselves. There's time enough to be dead when you're actually dead.
I agree with you so I don't understand the point of quoting my post. My comments were reflecting what imo was taking place in say.. the 30s, 40s, 50s... (decade.. not age).

Old 02-06-2018, 09:43 AM

6,975 posts, read 2,532,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbin778 View Post
To start, this is NOT to bash older women, 40+ isn't even close to "old", heck, my wife is 43 lol. What I am curious about is looking at pictures/watching movies from much more in the past it always seemed as if women that were 40+ the kind of fashion was always horrible, pretty much made to make them look way older than they were; from their hair, to makeup, to clothes etc. Nowadays it's quite common to see women that age (including my wife, shameless plug lol) look very attractive, hot, cute, sexy you name it. .
Back then there were more rigid roles for people in different age groups.

I still notice a lot of the women's clothing styles in department stores are drab, dull and usually either beige, black or white. Nothing colorful and the styles look like something an 80 year old woman would wear to a funeral. That is why I like stores such as Anthropologie. I can find colorful clothing there, that is stylish.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:24 AM

10,201 posts, read 9,431,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Back then there were more rigid roles for people in different age groups.

I still notice a lot of the women's clothing styles in department stores are drab, dull and usually either beige, black or white. Nothing colorful and the styles look like something an 80 year old woman would wear to a funeral. That is why I like stores such as Anthropologie. I can find colorful clothing there, that is stylish.
Yea, I find that a lot of the so-called "mature" styles are often drab, shapeless and TOTALLY NOT ME. I'm 40, not 75. Heck my mom is going to be 70 this year and she wouldn't be caught dead in that clothing. People can't seem to grasp that we mature women aren't trying to chase after youth, we simply want to dress based on our individuality. I like bold colors, fitted things. I still like to wear skirts that are above my knee. I like funky cuts and designs. I never knew that the moment I turned 40, I needed to renounce my personal sense of fashion and stop shopping at my favorite stores. I'm not knocking the stalwart stores/designs, but the 40+ woman is no different than the younger version, just older and wiser

Old 02-06-2018, 10:38 AM

187 posts, read 94,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The divorce rate is dropping, but so is the marriage rate. in 1960 72% of all adults were married, in 2017 it's 50%. Fewer marriages, fewer divorces.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:00 AM

10,058 posts, read 5,838,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Ain't that the truth! At 68 y.o. I have decided I am going to enjoy myself and have as much fun as I can for whatever time I have left! I dress how I want, and I just joined a rock band!
Rock music is for old people. It is nostalgic now. Got to keep it alive.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:34 AM

2,649 posts, read 1,152,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Frankly I think women portrayed in the 40s, 50s and 60s in movies and television were much more attractive than women in their 40s and older today. Today so many 40 something look alike; long straight badly highlighted hair, super tight jeans or leggings with a too short top, or the ridiculous ripped denim look with boots. I have to look away to avoid laughing. Why more mature women think long straight hair makes them appear youthful remains a mystery to me. Everyone’s facial structure changes with aging and the long hair just accentuates sagging skin. In previous generations most women understood that shorter hair, after a “certain age” lifted the face and was more flattering. Women can be beautiful and look their age, although society continues to focus only on the young. The obsession of older women to copy the look they had in their 20s and 30s screams denial. But of course that is just my opinion and most will disagree

Sure, let's keep that bouffant helmet-hair going as we age! When I straightened my longer hair, I got so many compliments, even from the non-English speakers. Sorry it's against your rule book at age 62, but I'll take it, LOL. "You look so much younger" is what I heard.

Some of us feel no need to conform to the crinkled shorn head older look.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:50 AM

17,704 posts, read 15,062,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
People seem to get offended if a woman over 40 dresses like a 30 year old. OMG *clutching pearls*

Women who hit a certain age are expected to also chop their hair off because long hair is youthful and by golly, we can't have them walking around looking old with young looking hair. It might confuse people if they look at you from the back!

Then again any woman with very long hair is expected to cut and donate it. Why can't she keep and enjoy her long hair?

People are weird.

I LOVE that older women are coloring their hair funky colors and wearing fun stuff and enjoying themselves. There's time enough to be dead when you're actually dead.
It's awesome, but it's relatively recent that women felt free enough to buck fashion expectations. That was really what the thread was about, how back in the day they didn't feel older women needed to nor cared how they looked to the same degree. NOT the women themselves, but the society that designed their clothes and published magazines advising they cut their hair, etc.

Now they make gorgeous clothes for older women. Go back to 1950 and buy a Mother of the Bride dress. I think most of them would look much more matronly than they do today (although even today that attitude exists among designers and many of them will be the dress equivalent of "Mom jeans".)

Old 02-06-2018, 04:19 PM

104 posts, read 43,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbin778 View Post
To start, this is NOT to bash older women, 40+ isn't even close to "old", heck, my wife is 43 lol. What I am curious about is looking at pictures/watching movies from much more in the past it always seemed as if women that were 40+ the kind of fashion was always horrible, pretty much made to make them look way older than they were; from their hair, to makeup, to clothes etc. Nowadays it's quite common to see women that age (including my wife, shameless plug lol) look very attractive, hot, cute, sexy you name it.

Obviously that kind of horrible fashion has gone out the window and of course I am happy. And of course I realize that in the past women of a certain age was not supposed to look as so many do now. But my question is, when it comes to clothes/makeup/hairstyle etc. etc. that women in that age range would typically have from the past, what was it in particular that made them look so much older/unattractive? Again, not saying they themselves were, just it all seemed to colmulate in the exact opposite of attractive. Like, even an otherwise model 20-something couldn't wear the clothes and do their hair and makeup in the same way and still look good lol.

Just kind of curious from an old obsolete fashion standpoint, as obviously biologically nothing has changed with women since yet clearly in the past a woman my wifes age (I, myself am 30).
It is money, honey!

Capitalism at work! In short it is very profitable to keep people “ youngish”

Attitudes and values in the society changed!
All those glossy Vanity Fair, Cosmo pages! TV exposure and advertisement!

Mainly, women going to work and having their own money to spend as they please.
It was majority of men who wanted to keep their wife’s looking “ appropriate, respectful, matronly- the mother of men’ s children”.
Morals were reserved for women only. Respected men could have a few flings on the side- was looked down upon, but acceptable.
Women were hot afforded the same treatment. If a man had a premarital relations - he was not “ damaged goods”- but a woman was. Then sexual revolution happened and the world was never the same!

In the 21 century the highest value is placed on youth- that coveted 18-34 group for product manufactures! There are only so many younger people to go around, so the industry is pushing to artificially extend this group into 40-50 age.
So 50 is the new 30!
Another reason, we do not work hard physically anymore- factories moved to China, less children are raised per women, so “ wear and tear “ is less on women- easier to spend time and money on yourself and look younger, healthier!
Think of profit margin in hair coloring, beauty products, ever changing clothing styles, exercise equipment, plastic surgeries! Etc, etc.
Your grandmother probably did not shave her legs- by making unshaven legs unacceptable- the shaving industry just tripled there profits, as they charge more for beauty products for women.

That is why the fashion changes to show off those toned arms and legs, tight “ buns”.

Men used to look frumpy as you say as well though- watch old movies - twenty something in suits and hats- used to look age wise more undetermined as 40-50 y o would dress the same.

Last edited by Nik4me; 02-06-2018 at 04:38 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 04:43 PM

10,058 posts, read 5,838,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
It is money, honey!

Capitalism at work! In short it is very profitable to keep people “ youngish”

Attitudes and values in the society changed!
All those glossy Vanity Fair, Cosmo pages! TV exposure and advertisement!

Mainly, women going to work and having their own money to spend as they please.
It was majority of men who wanted to keep their wife’s looking “ appropriate, respectful, matronly- the mother of men’ s children”.
Morals were reserved for women only. Respected men could have a few flings on the side- was looked down upon, but acceptable.
Women were hot afforded the same treatment. If a man had a premarital relations - he was not “ damaged goods”- but a woman was. Then sexual revolution happened and the world was never the same!

In the 21 century the highest value is placed on youth- that coveted 18-34 group for product manufactures! There are only so many younger people to go around, so the industry is pushing to artificially extend this group into 40-50 age.
So 50 is the new 30!
Another reason, we do not work hard physically anymore- factories moved to China, less children are raised per women, so “ wear and tear “ is less on women- easier to spend time and money on yourself and look younger, healthier!
Think of profit margin in hair coloring, beauty products, ever changing clothing styles, exercise equipment, plastic surgeries! Etc, etc.
Your grandmother probably did not shave her legs- by making unshaven legs unacceptable- the shaving industry just tripled there profits, as they charge more for beauty products for women.

That is why the fashion changes to show off those toned arms and legs, tight “ buns”.

Men used to look frumpy as you say as well though- watch old movies - twenty something in suits and hats- used to look age wise more undetermined as 40-50 y o would dress the same.
They looked dapper, they looked classy. I live in the wrong era. Good god my parents looked nice in their old photos all dressed up. I don't care about the looking older part, they looked Mad Men cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or