U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 04:08 PM

15,632 posts, read 29,400,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
To the person that messaged me that the lifespan was NOT shorter in the 40s and 50s... it was.
A simple google search would have shown that. It's only recently in the US that it started to drop for the first time.
Life expectancy in the USA, 1900-98

https://www.seniorliving.org/history...united-states/
Life span and life expectancy are ywo different things. The human life SPAN. is around 100 and has not changed for hundreds, of not thousands of years. Life expectancy, on the other hand is a concept created by the insurance industry and takes into account INFANT MORTALITY statistics.

The truth is that there has always been a significant population of elderly on every decade. Statistically, if you live past 5 you are likely to make it to adulthood and if you live to 20 you are likely to make it to 65. I read where only 1 out of 5 people born in any given year will make it to 65. Quite an achievement I must say. In the decades where childhood diseases took a huge toll the life expectancy was much lower but it did not mean that humanity did not have the capability of living to old age, it simply meant that there was more stuff out to get you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 06:32 PM

7,654 posts, read 8,069,177 times
When I think of women dressing matronly, I have a mental picture of Eleanor Roosevelt. She wasn't that old when she became the first lady, but she looked it. Mamie looked frumpy too. It all changed with Jackie and the subsequent first ladies started to dress fashionable for the time. Jackie died fairly young, but she always looked good, even as she got older.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:46 PM

30,913 posts, read 9,258,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Life span and life expectancy are ywo different things. The human life SPAN. is around 100 and has not changed for hundreds, of not thousands of years. Life expectancy, on the other hand is a concept created by the insurance industry and takes into account INFANT MORTALITY statistics.

The truth is that there has always been a significant population of elderly on every decade. Statistically, if you live past 5 you are likely to make it to adulthood and if you live to 20 you are likely to make it to 65. I read where only 1 out of 5 people born in any given year will make it to 65. Quite an achievement I must say. In the decades where childhood diseases took a huge toll the life expectancy was much lower but it did not mean that humanity did not have the capability of living to old age, it simply meant that there was more stuff out to get you.

When you're referring to life span as opposed to life expectancy, you have to be referring to maximum life span. And in humans, that's closer to 120 years than 100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or