U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 02:58 AM

25,790 posts, read 24,453,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
Bad makeup and clothes is one thing. But another is that women in that day lied about their age. It was very common for women in their late 20s to play high school kids, and actresses in their late 40s say they were in their early 30s. My mom claimed to be 29 until she was in her 40s.
You know, this is a good point, and I have wondered the opposite, too. You'll hear "OMG, I was at the mall and I saw this woman, she had to be around 35, but she dressed/seemed/whatever so much older....[or " and she had SUCH bad skin she looked 10 years older!"]!" and I think...what if she WAS older? LOL! What, are people going up and polling people at the mall for their ages or something? Maybe that "35-year-old" is 45. Maybe she's 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 06:08 AM

17,832 posts, read 15,141,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I remember KISS being so big when I was in elementary school. I can see that they'd appeal to teen boys. They're still good at marketing, I guess.
All our music is still popular. There's a store on the boardwalk that sells rock band tees and posters, and kids today are buying Hendrix, KISS, Tom Petty, the Doors. There are a lot of teens that love classic rock.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
As a 50-something chick I get what the OP is saying... no offense taken. Many of the fashions of the past seemed much older for both men and women. Edith and Archie were a good example. I remember an episode where Edith was turning 50 and going through menopause and I was shocked that she wasn’t already near 60. Mr. and Mrs. Cunningham of Happy Days also looked about 10-15 years older than they probably were.

Hair styles have so much to do with it too. Gillian Anderson looks so much prettier in current episodes of the X-Files than the ones from 20 years ago.
Yes I agree men looked more mature, too. When I watch the Twilight Zone marathon every year, Rod will say Witness John Williams, a 36 year old ad man...."but the way he's dressed, hair etc he looks 50. It's funny.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:58 AM

444 posts, read 147,088 times
I think smoking also played a part of looking older, as well as not exercising.

My stepmother was 44 when she married my dad 38 years ago. Her teeth were yellow/brown stained from smoking, face was wrinkled, short permed grayish hair and middle-aged body with no muscle tone.

I'm 45 right now and look much younger than my stepmother did at this age.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:07 AM

1,714 posts, read 859,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes I agree men looked more mature, too. When I watch the Twilight Zone marathon every year, Rod will say Witness John Williams, a 36 year old ad man...."but the way he's dressed, hair etc he looks 50. It's funny.
Yeah, Twilight Zone's always like that. I watched an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents with Jessica Tandy and her character talked about being an old spinster at 30. She looked 51 and acted even older.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:47 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,148,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You know, this is a good point, and I have wondered the opposite, too. You'll hear "OMG, I was at the mall and I saw this woman, she had to be around 35, but she dressed/seemed/whatever so much older....[or " and she had SUCH bad skin she looked 10 years older!"]!" and I think...what if she WAS older? LOL! What, are people going up and polling people at the mall for their ages or something? Maybe that "35-year-old" is 45. Maybe she's 50.
My dad has a beautiful framed pic of my mom from her younger days. She was a gorgeous woman. She looks about 35 in the picture. She was 19.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:05 AM

736 posts, read 407,682 times
The OP mentioned this was from watching old movies and that the older women were made to look even older. THIS WAS HOLLYWOOD. They were actresses playing a role in the movies and shows. For instance, Aunt Bee of Mayberry going around looking glamorous????

Old 02-04-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
The OP mentioned this was from watching old movies and that the older women were made to look even older. THIS WAS HOLLYWOOD. They were actresses playing a role in the movies and shows. For instance, Aunt Bee of Mayberry going around looking glamorous????
I grew up in the 60's, 70's, it wasn't just Hollywood.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:36 AM

3,232 posts, read 1,285,680 times
1) you're talking about movies. The characters are dressed to proclaim their status, so a matron would be dressed much more "matronly" than she might choose in real life.

2) you're talking about the past; older styles make women look older, partly due to actual older women wearing styles they loved when they were younger.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
1) you're talking about movies. The characters are dressed to proclaim their status, so a matron would be dressed much more "matronly" than she might choose in real life.

2) you're talking about the past; older styles make women look older, partly due to actual older women wearing styles they loved when they were younger.
Yes, this is exactly the topic. OP asked what specific fashion trends and hairstyles changed that have women over 50 looking so hot today, when back in the day they tended to look older/more matronly. No one is saying women then weren't attractive, just that they didn't tend to dress as if they were. One of the reasons for those sayings today "50 is the new 40", etc. because women DO look younger as we age today, and changing perceptions of older women in the men-run fashion industry are a big reason for that. Back then there WAS a perception that women over 50 were no longer "in the game" so to speak.

It wasn't about movies, heck, the movies and celebrities were one of the few images we had then of beautiful older women. The housewives on TV tended to dress frumpy, at least till Carol Brady came along. But she was young, 30's...but look at Alice, the Brady's housekeeper. She was 43 when the Brady Bunch started, but she looked like 55, a lot of it due to the clothes and hair style. There was no sense that Alice could still be attractive, she was 43 but an old maid, on the sidelines. Even when she went out with Sam, she wore frumpy clothes, not at all like the clothes 43 year old women wear today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or