U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 12:12 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,322,446 times

Advertisements

The other thing is cosmetic surgery. Today many women get a little something done (botox or more) and that makes a difference. Although it often has the effect of making them look freakish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 12:14 PM

28,316 posts, read 43,716,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Well it's true you never saw women going out in pajamas and slippers like TODAY.

Maybe you should watch that movie again since, as you said, you were a child so maybe you have a child's persepective of the era.

Cherry picking the one look to make some elusive point despite Signourney Weaver's outfits and all the other ones, including Melanie Griffith's.

Not to mention the entire POINT of the movie and the "theme" of "power dressing" of which MUCH has been written and how iconic that theme became in that iconic movie.
I've seen the movie MANY times since then, as recently as a few years ago - so no, I'm not just remembering it from a child's perspective.

Quote:
It's sad instead of respecting women of that time, and their aspirations, creativity, and brains, people choose to berate them and mock them.

But that's how women roll. We already KNOW what men think. See: OP.
I'm not berating nor mocking them - just describing ONE look of that time, and one that I do remember personally. And yes, it was an exaggerated example (but I don't have personal photos to share instead). That also has nothing to do with their aspirations, creativity, and brains, unless you think those are defined by clothing? We're discussing fashion here, nothing deeper.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:17 PM

28,316 posts, read 43,716,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Is this another "I hate the 80's thread?

Or women need to look "hot and sexy for me" thread?

Or "Suddenly when turning 40, women looked old" thread?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Not sure you do either except to say...you hate older fashion even though you weren't born then?

Because the theory I think you're espousing is inaccurate.

You think Beyonce looks "young"? And she's only 36.

OH snap, no - you're right. There WERE no sexy hot women in the 70's-80's who "aged well"...might wanna tell Madonna that. Raquel Welch. Jane Seymour. Farrah Fawcett, Naomi Campbell. Cher. Cindy Lauper. Christy Brinkley. Cindy Crawford. Iman. Debbie Harry. Michelle Pfeiffer. Lisa Bonet. Kim Basinger. Tina Turner. Elle MacPherson and every other Sports Illustrated cover? Lauren Hutton. Cybill Shepard. Beverly Johnson.Cheryl Tiegs
I think you're getting WAY too offended by this thread, and seeing things in the OP's post (and mine) that simply don't exist. I'm over 40, and was not offended by their comments at all... settle down, lol.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:52 PM

12,556 posts, read 13,191,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
Bad makeup and clothes is one thing. But another is that women in that day lied about their age. It was very common for women in their late 20s to play high school kids, and actresses in their late 40s say they were in their early 30s. My mom claimed to be 29 until she was in her 40s.
my mom started counting backwards when she hit 40, so fifteen years later she WAS in her mid-20s.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:53 PM

25,721 posts, read 24,383,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
Yeah, Twilight Zone's always like that. I watched an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents with Jessica Tandy and her character talked about being an old spinster at 30. She looked 51 and acted even older.
Well, she was 47. The show aired in 1956. It was called "Toby."

If she was 47 and only looked 51, especially given the Victorian clothing and hair, I'd say she was looking pretty good.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:59 PM

25,721 posts, read 24,383,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
1) you're talking about movies. The characters are dressed to proclaim their status, so a matron would be dressed much more "matronly" than she might choose in real life.

2) you're talking about the past; older styles make women look older, partly due to actual older women wearing styles they loved when they were younger.
^ I agree and gave the example that in the 30s, very long hair in a bun would have looked "older" because that's how the generation before them wore it (Victorian); meanwhile, in the 70s, short curly hair looked "older" because that was how young girls and women wore it in the 50s.

What "looks older" with styles constantly changes because we equate styles with different time periods.

Right now, teased-top hair definitely looks older. But here's something interesting: 10 or 15 years ago, "Farrah Fawcett" hair looked older and dated a woman. Now loose away-from-the-face layered curls are cool. It's the Farrah but slightly updated.

Now even that is going way looser...and we have this bend-y hair, LOL...RIGHT NOW that looks young and hip...let's see how much "older" it makes us appear if we're wearing it in 2030.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:21 PM

4,546 posts, read 6,214,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Yikes.

My MIL actually told me when I turned 40 that it was time to cut my curly red shoulder length hair.
I laughed and laughed.
Now Im a 53 year old grandma of one rocking my red curls down to my shoulders. Style is updated of course, but no way am I ever getting the cut. I love old ladies with long hair.

Also, I refused to ever get a minivan.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:55 PM

23,007 posts, read 22,042,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You know, this is a good point, and I have wondered the opposite, too. You'll hear "OMG, I was at the mall and I saw this woman, she had to be around 35, but she dressed/seemed/whatever so much older....[or " and she had SUCH bad skin she looked 10 years older!"]!" and I think...what if she WAS older? LOL! What, are people going up and polling people at the mall for their ages or something? Maybe that "35-year-old" is 45. Maybe she's 50.
I always got around that by telling people that I was older than I was.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:17 PM

26,978 posts, read 28,392,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I grew up in the 60's, 70's, it wasn't just Hollywood.
Yup. When my mom turned about 40 she said Im old now so I have to dress differently. She was pretty styling and basically overnight she bought shapeless clothing and nurse-looking shoes. My mom didnt look old at all, but that is what she thought she needed to do. And has continued that over the last 30 years. My mom still has barely any wrinkles though she has crappy teeth and a matronly hair style that makes her look old. Her older sister never did that and she looks so much hipper and younger than my mom. My mom looks so much older than her older sister these days. It has been that way for a while.

I am definitely not going to do that when I turn 40 this year.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:29 PM

3,894 posts, read 4,613,877 times
My older sister and I are 15 months apart in age (61 & 60). People who see us side by side and don't know us would guess she's 10-15 years older. Her skin looks about the same as mine, but she wears her hair very short, doesn't color it and won't use product in it, always wears "demure" jewelry, and most wears pretty frumpy looking matchy-matchy suits with plain flat shoes. She has a few interesting pieces of clothing but they are few and far between. I try to step up her game -- she asks me to help her shop -- but even when I help her find a more stylish piece that fits properly, she will wear it in the frumpiest way her closet allows. We both spend about the same amount on clothes and neither of us care about labels, we both love a bargain. She just refuses to see herself as being able to be stylish, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or