U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 11:24 PM

4,530 posts, read 6,205,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

Blanche was believed to be between 53 and 60 during Golden Girl's run.

Did you ever hear of Twiggy in the 60's? (not "old")

Mia Farrow 1968 and Vidal Sassoon? (not "old")

Madonna's short hair 1980's? (not "old")

Maybe you forgot about Princess Diana's 1980's helmet hair? (not "old" she was 20!)

She was married in 1981 at age 20 - and her hair was/is considered iconic. It was considered the look that influenced a generation. She chopped it off spontaneously when playing around with it with her wedding tiara.

Never heard of Olympic skater Dorthy Hamill 1976? (not "old").

And her famous short wedge cut which became a thing in 1976? The entire Olympic team wore the same hair she pioneered, for goodness sakes.

It was the pre-cursor to Diana's hair and even BOYS got that haircut thereafter. It was called a skater cut.

Maybe you're not aware that blow dryers didn't even become a thing until the 90's? They didn't have extensions and weaves then, either.

Seriously, rehashing former generations' HAIR and then conflating it to women of a certain age looking like grannies is ....I don't even know what that is.

And you didn't invent the complaint that women cut their hair as they get older.

Yeah, they do. Because they're not celebrities on television and movies.

Wait till YOU get grey and try to keep THAT up. Do you even know women's entire texture changes after menopause and the entire color thing is completely high maintenance if you can even KEEP it from getting messed up with the overlap and looking like shoe polish unless you're a blonde it's a little easier.

As far as I remember, most people including my family had blow dryers back in the seventies. They were a big thing long before the 90ís.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 11:42 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,217,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
As far as I remember, most people including my family had blow dryers back in the seventies. They were a big thing long before the 90ís.
Reckon we were product testers in The 70's. Gosh I laughed though when I read that blow dryers came out in the 90's. Next it will be that clam diggers didn't come out til 2000. (They were at least from the 1940 era since my grams showed me a pic of her wearing em at a beach venture) And she looked fabulous !

Old 02-05-2018, 12:06 AM

4,530 posts, read 6,205,242 times
Someone earlier mentioned Lara Trump.
Google up a pic of Hope Hicks. She’s my daughters age (29) I think and wears so much makeup she looks like a drag queen dressing as Crystal Gayle. And she is supposedly an ex model.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:10 AM

28,317 posts, read 43,686,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
BTW, no. Inaccurate.

Wow. Sorry, I don' think you know anything about the history of hair care.

Just for starters, NEON hair products came out in the 1980's.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1980...w=1745&bih=818

This is the problem when people who were children try and "remember" stuff from back then.

BTW, there were just as many shades of color back then, for goodness sakes. My mother, a blonde, changed her shade constantly when she got touch-ups. Just the blonde alone had easily 20 shades. Reds? a million. Just like now. Rinses & hennas, too.

The massive shift to coloring your hair (especially at home) between the early 1950's to the late 1950's is an iconic historic marketing story.

“Does she…or doesn’t she?” Perhaps the most successful slogan in marketing history.

Miss Clairol debuted in 1956. Sales were $200 Million by 1962.

Nice n Easy debuted in 1965.

L'Oreal Redkin was introduced in 1960 and revolutionized the professional salon business.

Heck, I can remember my mother walking into a beauty supply store and buying Fermodyl WAY back in the 1970s. Because it was in a little glass vial and I wasn't allowed to touch it.

Of course products and techniques have evolved. Just like everything else in life. But just because you can buy a GLAZE instead of permanent or semi-permanent or get a hair balayage doesn't mean "back then" was a desolate island of ugly and matronly.

You REALIZE Lucille Ball wasn't a natural red head, right?
Wow, you're REALLY sensitive about this topic - are you a beauty consultant or something? I realize Lucille Ball wasn't a real redhead (as a natural redhead myself, I can spot fakes a mile away), and didn't mean literally a few colors/shades. I also know that neon colors were around in the eighties, considering I used them myself by the early nineties. But the blondes I remember were more of a brassy, almost grayish color, and dyes weren't as good as they are now. Plus the non-natural colors were fairly uncommon among "normal" women, and usually not permanent or "healthy" dyes like we have today.

Look, I was born in the seventies; so stop being so testy, and talking to me like a child. I may not be an "expert" on the subject, but wasn't living in a cave until 2000 either.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-05-2018 at 12:35 AM..

Old 02-05-2018, 12:11 AM

25,664 posts, read 24,352,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The divorce rate is up, so more single, older women in the dating scene. Also, they are waiting longer to get married, or not getting married. More career women that have their own money, and want to look good.
The divorce rate is down.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:58 AM

3,911 posts, read 4,539,453 times
I remember that perms were the "thing" in the 50's. They were AWFUL! Especially the cheaper stuff used at home. SO gross! Then the big-hair days of the sixties...teasing. I hated that also. I grew to love pants when females were finally allowed to wear them. Now I never wear dresses or skirts. But I was never pretty or anything and never got into makeup in a big way.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:19 AM

6,206 posts, read 3,308,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbin778 View Post
To start, this is NOT to bash older women, 40+ isn't even close to "old", heck, my wife is 43 lol. What I am curious about is looking at pictures/watching movies from much more in the past it always seemed as if women that were 40+ the kind of fashion was always horrible, pretty much made to make them look way older than they were; from their hair, to makeup, to clothes etc. Nowadays it's quite common to see women that age (including my wife, shameless plug lol) look very attractive, hot, cute, sexy you name it.

Obviously that kind of horrible fashion has gone out the window and of course I am happy. And of course I realize that in the past women of a certain age was not supposed to look as so many do now. But my question is, when it comes to clothes/makeup/hairstyle etc. etc. that women in that age range would typically have from the past, what was it in particular that made them look so much older/unattractive? Again, not saying they themselves were, just it all seemed to colmulate in the exact opposite of attractive. Like, even an otherwise model 20-something couldn't wear the clothes and do their hair and makeup in the same way and still look good lol.

Just kind of curious from an old obsolete fashion standpoint, as obviously biologically nothing has changed with women since yet clearly in the past a woman my wifes age (I, myself am 30).
Why are you so focused on what older women look like or how they dress? You are young. You should be working obscene hours, making your fortune.

What do you think about how modern +40 men look and dress? Why do you think they're different these days?

Old 02-05-2018, 08:28 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,131,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My mother got a shag when she was in her 40s.
I got one when I turned 59.

Now I'm getting closer to 61 and had to change it from a shag but it's still pretty layered. I had almost waist length hair prior to that and always said that I was going to be one of those ladies that had long hair ... wear a nice braid or something as I grayed. Turned out... I hit menopause at 38 and my hair started thinning. By the time I cut it it had gotten so thin and straggly I had to do something. So.. sometimes the best laid plans fall thru.
On the plus side... you'd have to dig thru my hair to find a gray one.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:34 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,131,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Wow, you're REALLY sensitive about this topic - are you a beauty consultant or something? I realize Lucille Ball wasn't a real redhead (as a natural redhead myself, I can spot fakes a mile away), and didn't mean literally a few colors/shades. I also know that neon colors were around in the eighties, considering I used them myself by the early nineties. But the blondes I remember were more of a brassy, almost grayish color, and dyes weren't as good as they are now. Plus the non-natural colors were fairly uncommon among "normal" women, and usually not permanent or "healthy" dyes like we have today.

Look, I was born in the seventies; so stop being so testy, and talking to me like a child. I may not be an "expert" on the subject, but wasn't living in a cave until 2000 either.
If I could rep you again for this.. I would.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:49 AM

187 posts, read 94,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My mother got a shag when she was in her 40s.
oooh, Matron! Nudge, nudge, wink, wink! knowwhatimean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or