Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 06:22 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
As a man, I find them unappealing. My wife doesn't wear them and never did.

They are not "easy on the eyes".
That is just silly. The whole point is, that they look good if they are fitted to the particular woman in question....slim fit, or loose fit, and the best length to flatter the particular woman. Just like anything else, duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 06:30 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,426 times
To me, a capri is from below the knee to mid calf. The length does not flatter me so I don't wear them. The pants that I call cropped are my preference. In general I use this definition in terms of length as about 4-5" above the ankle. While I have some that are leggings, most are straight leg or tapered. At least four years ago I found, at Nordstrom, a linen blend, with pockets, and purchased black and brown. Pretty much live in these from April thru October.

Usually I wear cropped pants with what I see tagged as platform cage shoes. My favorites are Naot, Sanita, Clarks and Jambu. Yes, most of these feature straps either across the foot and/or ankle. I'm 5'8" and these shoes provide about 2.5" more inches of height.

It's a look I like for me. I enjoy noticing how other women style themselves and compliment what I find appealing. Sure, there are some looks I don't like. But it is not for me to judge or criticize.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Agree agree agree. Can't count the chunky women wearing capris, who look even shorter and chunkier because of those pants. The skinny bare ankles make the rest of the body look all the larger and unbalanced. It's not chic, either.

There are many places a person wants to call attention to: the face, the breasts, the waist, the hips. But ankles aren't one of 'em.

My mom had us kids wear them when we were little. They weren't flattering even at that age! I haven't worn them since.
Speak for yourself or your own ankles! As luck would have it, I am married to a man who always notices women's feet and ankles. He LOVES pretty ankles and feet and toes. Capris and cute sandals show off a nice set of ankles and feet.

Not so nice ankles and feet - yeah, he notices those too. And not in a good way.

I get it - some people don't like capris and some people don't look good in them. But some people DO look good in them and some people DO like them. And that's OK! Wouldn't you agree, even if you don't personally like them or look good in them?

Old 02-26-2018, 08:24 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,135 times
Hate them! Capris make short people look shorter and not flattering on taller people. Especially if they are short and fat, just does nothing. They just do not look good on any body type, frame, height, etc.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:35 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Speak for yourself or your own ankles! As luck would have it, I am married to a man who always notices women's feet and ankles. He LOVES pretty ankles and feet and toes. Capris and cute sandals show off a nice set of ankles and feet.

Not so nice ankles and feet - yeah, he notices those too. And not in a good way.

I get it - some people don't like capris and some people don't look good in them. But some people DO look good in them and some people DO like them. And that's OK! Wouldn't you agree, even if you don't personally like them or look good in them?
Oh, I look fine in them. It's just that I think they're tacky. Maybe on an exotic vacation instead of shorts, with a good tan, the right shoes. But I don't go on such vacations & think I'd rather wear shorts.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:57 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
Quote:
Can't count the chunky women wearing capris, who look even shorter and chunkier because of those pants. The skinny bare ankles make the rest of the body look all the larger and unbalanced. It's not chic, either.
Out of curiousity, what would you suggest is comfortable and flattering for a short, chunky woman?

Old 02-27-2018, 08:05 AM

350 posts, read 229,491 times
I'm over 60, short and overweight... I can work on one of these which I am doing but it's not easy. The other two...my age and height there is nothing that I can do about. It is what it is. Oh how I envy those of you who all look so "hot" wearing shorts & dresses on the hottest of days. Since I hate my knees I refuse to wear shorts and I happen to hate dresses & skirts as much as some hate capris here.

So what is the alternative on those days when the temps soar to 90 and above with humidity to match? I'm going to wear nice well fitting capris with my pedicured feet in pretty sandals. I have a right to be comfortable without exposing myself while in public by wearing shorts or sweltering in long pants. If you don't like them then don't look .....I guess that includes not looking at older people too. One day it will happen to you.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:07 AM

350 posts, read 229,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Out of curiousity, what would you suggest is comfortable and flattering for a short, chunky woman?
Don't you know that short chunky women are simply not supposed to exist?!

Old 02-27-2018, 08:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Oh, I look fine in them. It's just that I think they're tacky. Maybe on an exotic vacation instead of shorts, with a good tan, the right shoes. But I don't go on such vacations & think I'd rather wear shorts.
Well, all I'm saying is that many people really like capris and find them flattering to wear. Most of the time, if a style or color looks good on a person, they tend to like wearing it and don't find it "tacky."

But hey, I don't like the color pink. And guess what - it actually looks good on me. I just don't like it - I don't like it on myself, on other people, or in homes. I don't like the way pink "looks." I don't like what I "feel" like pink "says." Does that mean I think pink is tacky?

Tell you something else I don't like. I don't like lamps made out of antlers. I would NEVER have one in my home. BLECH. But even with that visceral a response to them, I have to admit that in the right setting, in the right home, it can be a good look. Just not my look.

You said this though, which is what I bolded in my response to you and basically what I responded TO:

Quote:
There are many places a person wants to call attention to: the face, the breasts, the waist, the hips. But ankles aren't one of 'em.
I stand by what I said. YOU don't think ankles are something a person should want to call attention to. OK, that's fine. But my point was that many people actually do find attractive ankles well, attractive. They enjoy looking at them, or if they have them, they enjoy drawing attention to them. All this is very subjective. My husband, for instance, is not a "boob man." Now, he likes nice, medium sized, well shaped breasts, but he's much more a "foot man" than a "boob man." I promise you that he will notice a woman's feet and ankles before he notices her breasts, unless she's displaying them with a very low cut shirt, which actually isn't attractive to him.

I happen to know that about him, and I happen to have nice ankles and feet. Lucky me - well, lucky us. Well, actually luck isn't all there is in the picture because I promise you that if I had unattractive feet or ankles, I doubt we'd be together today - thick ankles or unkempt or weird looking feet are pretty offputting to him. He actually told me later on in our dating that the first night he met me, one of the very first things he noticed was nice legs and a good pedicure on well maintained feet. (My southern mama drilled that into my head! "A lady's toes are always polished - no chips! And no rough heels!") These assets are shown off well in capris.

Look, I'm not trying to brag. I don't have a particularly attractive waistline at age 56 after having four kids and going through menopause. So I don't try to draw attention to that part of my body. My hips? I guess they're fine - I mean, they're not ugly but they're not smokin' hot! LOL I'm 56. I don't look or feel 26. But guess what - I have nice feet and ankles and slim cut capris and ankle length pants look good on me. They look better on me for my build than many other options. They sure as heck look better on me than shorts do - of ANY length.

Personally, I think that if you saw me in shorts, you'd say "Wow, THAT'S tacky." I know I would. Bermuda shorts are a terrible length for me, and shorter than that looks just stupid on me. My skin at age 56 isn't as tight as it used to be. It is what it is. I accept that. And I'm glad I have options other than shorts or skirts if I want to be cooler in the summertime and still look good.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-27-2018 at 08:26 AM..

Old 02-27-2018, 08:20 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, all I'm saying is that many people really like capris and find them flattering to wear. Most of the time, if a style or color looks good on a person, they tend to like wearing it and don't find it "tacky."

But hey, I don't like the color pink. And guess what - it actually looks good on me. I just don't like it - I don't like it on myself, on other people, or in homes. I don't like the way pink "looks." I don't like what I "feel" like pink "says." Does that mean I think pink is tacky?

Tell you something else I don't like. I don't like lamps made out of antlers. I would NEVER have one in my home. BLECH. But even with that visceral a response to them, I have to admit that in the right setting, in the right home, it can be a good look. Just not my look.
Agree ^^^!

Isn't it crazy how some people who don't like something think NO ONE ELSE SHOULD, EITHER?? And speak with a condescending "authoritative" manner about it? This fashion forum is full of that. It's OK to have opinions but let's not tell other people what they should like, right?

Last edited by gypsychic; 02-27-2018 at 08:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty