Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 11:38 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,603 times

Advertisements

Since last year I have been seeing these long robe made of cotton or silk or light material designed to wear over tshirt/pants like summer cardigan. This season I am seeing more of these. I have tried several on at store & always felt like I was wearing night robe.

Does it look like robe to anyone else? In that case, can I take my nightwear (robe that came with pj) and wear it day time. Why waste money? Do I have to remove the fabric belt that comes with it? Anyone tried wearing your PJ outside, not as a PJ but pull it off as trendy outfit? . Like some of those nicely printed pants sometimes look like pajamas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 07:43 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
You could try it....I'd stay away from pastels that look like nightwear, though, and stick with ones with bolder colors. That would look more kimono-like. Remove the belt loops, and adding some silk fringe to the hem would make it better.

I actually like the look - reminds me of Art Nouveau fashion that I have a fondness for.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I like it. My husband brought me a silk kimono back from Japan last spring, and I've won it as a jacket type layer. Not using a belt tie generally prevents it from going into dressing gown territory.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:24 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I have a couple of the cape/kimonos. They don't look like jammies because of what I wear with them. I wear mine with jeggings and cowboy boots.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:07 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
I really don't know that I would wear an actual robe. It depends on what it looks like, I guess.

I bought one at Francesca's like this:

https://www.francescas.com/product/o...=6&ecCategory=

I LOVE it, and it wasn't expensive, but I've been surprised at how often I can wear it. At first I felt self-conscious about it looking like a robe, but I asked my 14-year-old, who is brutally honest, and he said it was "fine," so .... LOL

Old 02-26-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I really don't know that I would wear an actual robe. It depends on what it looks like, I guess.

I bought one at Francesca's like this:

https://www.francescas.com/product/o...=6&ecCategory=

I LOVE it, and it wasn't expensive, but I've been surprised at how often I can wear it. At first I felt self-conscious about it looking like a robe, but I asked my 14-year-old, who is brutally honest, and he said it was "fine," so .... LOL
That is my problem. I love the look of it but every time I try them on in the shop & look in the mirror, I keep wondering "is it too much like robe". The one you linked is cute but its short sleeve. I even purchased on and ended up returning it because I wasn't sure I can pull it off.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:59 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I have a couple of shorter ones with short sleeves that don't look like robes at all. I won't wear the longer ones because I'm short and they make me look shorter.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:02 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
That is my problem. I love the look of it but every time I try them on in the shop & look in the mirror, I keep wondering "is it too much like robe". The one you linked is cute but its short sleeve. I even purchased on and ended up returning it because I wasn't sure I can pull it off.
I do think the sleeve length is what makes the difference.

Just like with any fashion choice, it's all in what you pair it with and your attitude when wearing it.

If you wear it with jeans and boots or wedges and just pretend it's like any other cardigan or shawl, you can do it. If the colors of your outfit and accessories work together, go out with confidence.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:18 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
I wear them, I don't think they look like robes. I do shorter length ones with short sleeves because to me they are very spring/summery. I have a longer one that is more sheer that I use for beach cover-up.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I do think the sleeve length is what makes the difference.

Just like with any fashion choice, it's all in what you pair it with and your attitude when wearing it.

If you wear it with jeans and boots or wedges and just pretend it's like any other cardigan or shawl, you can do it. If the colors of your outfit and accessories work together, go out with confidence.
Thanks, your post gave me confident to do it. As soon as the weather gets better I will experiment it out and see what my friends and family say. I will cut off the belt loop and belt & just use my the robe that came with my PJ. It is knee length, pink leopard print. I will pare it with skinny jeans & white tee. Maybe throw in a statement jewelry piece. I can see it working
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty