Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Not pretentious. But I do sometimes consider them to be socially inept. Often, if you're consistently overdressed for stuff, is because you lack the ability to read social cues re: appropriate attire, same as people who consistently underdress.

There are other potential factors, such as having to work with the attire you've got, there being conflicting cultural norms at work. This happens sometimes at my church, which is very casual/dressed down...there are a few congregants who dress to the nines, because they're from cultures where that's just what you do for church. Nobody cares, it's very come as you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 08:12 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,745,387 times
There are also those who overdress as a sort of "wish fulfillment" from a youth of not having advantages. I'm thinking of Dolly Parton, who grew up in grinding poverty. As a child she saw what we'd politely call 'party girls' in town and decided that was how she wanted to dress, mostly because it was the exact opposite of what her parents would permit. When she started performing and making money, she donned her trademark wigs, tight dresses, tons of make-up--to her, that was a sign she had "made it". It was what she'd wanted to do since her youth, and became a sort of trademark for her, so much so that if she were to turn up somewhere in a sack dress and no make-up, no one would know who she was. And I think most would agree that Dolly Parton is about the most UN-pretentious person you could meet, even after the amazing success she became.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:12 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times
I would rather be overdressed than underdressed. I don't have a lot of occasions to wear anything but shorts or jeans, so I enjoy getting dressed with nice blouses or sweaters. I like having nice clothes so why would I not wear them.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:27 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,918 times
Not at all. Always better to be over dressed than under dressed. Most people dress like they walking the dogs!

Old 03-01-2018, 08:28 PM

375 posts, read 319,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I have a 65 year old SIL who overdresses for everything...sometimes to the point of ridiculous or maybe it's her fix for a case of OCD?

Her feet are crooked and her toes are curled from wearing high heels every day (even at home) and her feet HURT all the time. I don't think she knows what her finger nails actually look like any more. Gawdy, decorative polish covers hers from year to year.

Her hair? Who knows what it would look like au' natural. It has gone from pink to dark red to blonde.

Her face is stretched tight as a drum from too much plastic surgery and as a result, her forehead is half way up her skull.

She wears a rainbow of colours of makeup on her eyes which is applied too thick and heavy.

Such is the life of a vain person who has to look a million bucks to go the grocery store or the bank.

I'm very laid back and natural. I like looking nice and wear a bit of makeup, but to me, she is ABSOLUTELY pretentious. A plasticized person and obviously not my sort.

I've seen these types of women! I can, after reading your description, almost smell the overwhelming strong perfume, too!

Old 03-01-2018, 08:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
But, these days, don't people mostly dress however they want? And isn't that okay with most people?
Yes, it's fine with me and to answer the OP, no, I don't find it pretentious at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
There are also those who overdress as a sort of "wish fulfillment" from a youth of not having advantages. I'm thinking of Dolly Parton, who grew up in grinding poverty. As a child she saw what we'd politely call 'party girls' in town and decided that was how she wanted to dress, mostly because it was the exact opposite of what her parents would permit. When she started performing and making money, she donned her trademark wigs, tight dresses, tons of make-up--to her, that was a sign she had "made it". It was what she'd wanted to do since her youth, and became a sort of trademark for her, so much so that if she were to turn up somewhere in a sack dress and no make-up, no one would know who she was. And I think most would agree that Dolly Parton is about the most UN-pretentious person you could meet, even after the amazing success she became.
Well said.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:40 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
The upshot: who cares? I personally believe that every woman should own a tiara and WEAR IT!
But would a tiara look good with my leggings?

Old 03-02-2018, 06:10 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
But would a tiara look good with my leggings?
Of course

Old 03-02-2018, 06:22 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Saw a young man wearing a cape and a fedora at church once. I wasn't offended, it wasn't pretentious. It was, however, bizarre and LARPy and I am concerned about his mental health.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:34 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Saw a young man wearing a cape and a fedora at church once. I wasn't offended, it wasn't pretentious. It was, however, bizarre and LARPy and I am concerned about his mental health.
LARPy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty