U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 10:11 AM

1,805 posts, read 774,742 times

Advertisements

I have only used at home stuff, but my mom did the kind from the dentist. She did it 6 years ago and her teeth are still really white! It worked really well and I always wanted it done myself. I don't think she had any issues, but her gums and stuff aren't really sensitive. She keeps them white by using whitening paste/mouthwash and she also doesn't drink coffee or smoke.

Maybe try less in the tray, so that it doesn't reach up to your gums? Or call your dentist and maybe they can suggest what to do.

I use Pearly Girl Teeth Whitening stick by Tarte. It doesn't get my teeth super white like the trays did for my mom, but it does work and gives a natural look. It doesn't cause me any discomfort, either.
https://www.sephora.com/product/pear...ng-pen-P414737
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 10:48 AM

5,281 posts, read 4,565,247 times
I had them whitened in the office ...they put the solution on them, then shine a special spectrum light on them. It helped quite a bit.

I also had one whitened in the office...they drilled a hole in the back to do a root canal, then put the bleach on the inside. It shone like a beacon. Everyone in the office came to see how white it was. It faded, thank goodness, and since then it has gone back to being darker than its neighbor.

I've not had noticeable differences with the over the counter white strips but I don't have much patience for them.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:15 AM

275 posts, read 82,678 times
Yes, I did the trays with the gel. You only use a very small dot of it and only leave it on for a short period. If your gums are hurting then you are probably not putting the gel in the right spot inside the tray. You have to place the dot in the center of the tooth area. You can't leave it on too long either. For touchups, I don't use it longer than 20-30 min at a time.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:21 AM

13,372 posts, read 7,128,759 times
I would like to try some self-whitening but I have several crowns near the front and having some darker teeth would only seem to make them all look worse. Is there any way around that other than replacing the old crowns after whitening...and then constantly working to keep the shades the same over time?

Old 03-07-2018, 12:58 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,253,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So I went to my dentist about getting a tooth capped, and he brought up matching it, and then said if you want to bleach your teeth you would want to do it before we cap your front tooth. So I said, "Hmmmm", and decided, why not? So they took impressions of my teeth and I paid $300 and, after 2 weeks, I came back today to pick up my mouthguards and the bleach for the whitening.

Well, the way it works is you add the bleach to each mouthguard (a drop onto each tooth in the guard) and wear the guard for 40 minutes. You do this three times a day, for 120 minutes a day, for three weeks.

I was told my gums "might get a little white, and slough off" and if sensitive, take the next day off. So I did what was told and it burned immediately. My gums got really white and they were sore for two hours after I removed the guards and rinsed out my mouth. I had the guards in for FIVE MINUTES.

If they hurt like this after 5 minutes, no way can I do 120 minutes a day. Not a chance. Has anyone else experienced this? Are there alternative ways of whitening your teeth that are not painful like this? Thanks for any suggestions.
I did it years ago. But mine must have been a much weaker solution than yours. It was a gel. It DID make my teeth sensitive but had no effect on my gums. Maybe it wasn't "bleaching" like yours is. Mine was called "whitening," I think.

In the end, it didn't make much difference. They were somewhat lighter. But I learned that I'm not the type to do anything like that religiously, anyway.

Nowadays you can get whitening products over the counter, so there's no reason to pay for that bleaching system from a dentist.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:08 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,316,997 times
I had my teeth whitened years ago for free as an incentive at a new dentist. They put some stuff on my teeth and then put a light up to them. After 5 minutes it hurt so bad I had to stop. If literally hurt all night! I will never try that again!

Old 03-07-2018, 03:28 PM

8,144 posts, read 7,469,555 times
Yes, I have bleached my teeth in the past but am getting ready to get braces (at 52 the metal mouth ones, invisalign will not work for me) but don't have a problems keeping my teeth very white.

If you drink coffee, drink it out of a straw. The same with coke or tea.

Rinse after coffee, tea, red wine, etc. Brush if you can but at least rinse.

If it will stain a white tee, it will stain your teeth.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:41 PM

3,710 posts, read 6,717,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So I went to my dentist about getting a tooth capped, and he brought up matching it, and then said if you want to bleach your teeth you would want to do it before we cap your front tooth. So I said, "Hmmmm", and decided, why not? So they took impressions of my teeth and I paid $300 and, after 2 weeks, I came back today to pick up my mouthguards and the bleach for the whitening.

Well, the way it works is you add the bleach to each mouthguard (a drop onto each tooth in the guard) and wear the guard for 40 minutes. You do this three times a day, for 120 minutes a day, for three weeks.

I was told my gums "might get a little white, and slough off" and if sensitive, take the next day off. So I did what was told and it burned immediately. My gums got really white and they were sore for two hours after I removed the guards and rinsed out my mouth. I had the guards in for FIVE MINUTES.

If they hurt like this after 5 minutes, no way can I do 120 minutes a day. Not a chance. Has anyone else experienced this? Are there alternative ways of whitening your teeth that are not painful like this? Thanks for any suggestions.
I never liked the taste of bleach. So, no.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:47 PM

4,156 posts, read 2,161,000 times
I have tried several different whitening methods, none recently, although we did purchase two sets of Crest White Strips a few weeks ago.

1. First time, many years ago, I had the dental molds made and used the prescription strength whitening gel from my dentist. It was time-consuming, the molds were hard and uncomfortable and my teeth, while whiter, were not super white. It wasn't worth it. I didn't keep it up regularly. I should add that my dentist at the time was not a fan of bright white teeth, said my teeth were already whiter than most, and he felt that professionally in-office whitened teeth were false-looking and also that the sensitivity that comes with whitening was not worth it.

I had to convince him to make the trays for me. He did feel that the tray method was better for teeth than the in-office methods used. This was before white strips were available.

2. Same as above but with more comfortable trays that were somewhat pliable.

3. Old-style white strips. Not very effective.

4. In-office whitening at new dentist's office after my previous dentist retired. Very effective initially, and I could tolerate the procedure, but my teeth were sensitive and the results didn't last as long as I'd like. I am a tea drinker (not a smoker), and ultimately the teeth returned to their normal tone. $$$$

5. Newer white strips. These work fairly well if you do it consistently. I don't.

With all methods except in-office bleaching (where they attend to you carefully) the taste of bleach is unpleasant.

Ultimately, I don't think whitening teeth over an extended period of time is really worth it. I do think it is a good option if there is a special event for which someone wants a brighter white smile or if you are a YouTube blogger and looking your absolute best is crucial to earning money.

P.S. If I had to drink tea or coffee with a straw I would not enjoy it. So a big NO to doing that.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 03-07-2018 at 03:58 PM..

Old 03-07-2018, 03:49 PM

10,403 posts, read 7,478,326 times
There are so many products out there for less. I couldn't justify that expense. Not for me. It's smart if that's what you want to do, though. And it doesn't set your mouth on fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or