U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 04:11 PM

13,678 posts, read 8,684,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I had them whitened in the office ...they put the solution on them, then shine a special spectrum light on them. It helped quite a bit.
Not for me. The dentist cautioned me against whitening too much. Bad advice. I wasn't happy even when I was stepping out of the office. Nobody noticed. $400 down the drain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 07:01 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,397,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So I went to my dentist about getting a tooth capped, and he brought up matching it, and then said if you want to bleach your teeth you would want to do it before we cap your front tooth. So I said, "Hmmmm", and decided, why not? So they took impressions of my teeth and I paid $300 and, after 2 weeks, I came back today to pick up my mouthguards and the bleach for the whitening.

Well, the way it works is you add the bleach to each mouthguard (a drop onto each tooth in the guard) and wear the guard for 40 minutes. You do this three times a day, for 120 minutes a day, for three weeks.

I was told my gums "might get a little white, and slough off" and if sensitive, take the next day off. So I did what was told and it burned immediately. My gums got really white and they were sore for two hours after I removed the guards and rinsed out my mouth. I had the guards in for FIVE MINUTES.

If they hurt like this after 5 minutes, no way can I do 120 minutes a day. Not a chance. Has anyone else experienced this? Are there alternative ways of whitening your teeth that are not painful like this? Thanks for any suggestions.
STOP trying to do it a different way. You cant POSSIBLY think that the home cure is the same. I can't believe you're asking on a message board instead of the DENTIST.

Tell your dentist and they'll give you the alternative bleach formula that isn't as strong. There are two.

Jeeze you spent all that money and are trying to match a cap.

It's a very special procedure and you need it done right or your cap will stick out like a sore thumb. And I hope you have a good dentist because doing ONE front tooth cap is extremely tricky.

And FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS not eating anything that isn't "white" when they tell you that, etc.

And YES, I have all my upper teeth capped. Every one. And I had all my teeth bleached first.

I chose the highest shade of natural white not the ultra-white fake tooth shade. You have to match to your own teeth, which typically have a grey or yellow undertone, depending. So say, all your teeth "match" the sample tooth cap shades at a number 3, you may get a number 2 after bleaching. Something like that.

I'm curious how you just randomly decided to cap one tooth? You had a large filling that should have been capped but deferred it for awhile?

Or for cosmetic reasons?

What about the other front tooth? If you're capping for cosmetic reasons, say, it's crooked or something, you really should do BOTH.

I actually had both extracted and a bridge because the roots grew crooked under the gum and it would have been impossible for them both to look "accurate".

Also requires some gum work to make the gumlines be right.

If you look at Mrs. Clinton, she has one cap on one front tooth and you can see the difference. Even on a Time magazine cover.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-08-2018 at 07:14 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 07:11 AM

13,193 posts, read 7,413,513 times
I'm concerned about this too. I got braces two months ago and for reasons I know not what, a few of my front teeth are staining! I drink coffee and a little tea, but I don't smoke anymore, drink red wine, or eat other dark things. And I have another 14 months in the braces. I have an orthodontist appointment in a few days. My teeth look conspicuous already with metal braces on them; I certainly don't want my teeth looking even noticeable with staining, not to mention dirty when they're not. I've had them polished before about a year ago, but it was behind my front teeth, but it's odd that they are staining so fast.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm concerned about this too. I got braces two months ago and for reasons I know not what, a few of my front teeth are staining! I drink coffee and a little tea, but I don't smoke anymore, drink red wine, or eat other dark things. And I have another 14 months in the braces. I have an orthodontist appointment in a few days. My teeth look conspicuous already with metal braces on them; I certainly don't want my teeth looking even noticeable with staining, not to mention dirty when they're not. I've had them polished before about a year ago, but it was behind my front teeth, but it's odd that they are staining so fast.
Plaque is my guess.

Get a Water Pic, that may help. I tried one where you put some Xylitol solution in the pic and it is like extra on top of the toothpaste you use, it's pretty good. But as a PIC, the Water Pic is better IMO. The Water Pic pulses, the Weldental doesn't and it's not as strong a flow for people like me who like giving gums a real work out.

https://www.amazon.com/Xylitol-Water.../dp/B01ADKLTHO

Your dentist will be able to help you with that. It's not unusual with braces - I didn't have them but my kid did.

Obvs, they don't like the coffee so brush within 30 min after eating and drinking and I'd recommend a straw to at least bypass some of the quantity on the teeth. Then leave them alone.

You don't want to constantly be snacking or drinking. You want your natural saliva to be able to dissolve that stuff.

As I recall, about six months after the braces came off, his teeth returned to natural normal. Poor guy had to have his senior picture in them just a couple months before they were scheduled to come off.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:39 AM

19,678 posts, read 13,295,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
STOP trying to do it a different way. You cant POSSIBLY think that the home cure is the same. I can't believe you're asking on a message board instead of the DENTIST.

Tell your dentist and they'll give you the alternative bleach formula that isn't as strong. There are two.

Jeeze you spent all that money and are trying to match a cap.

It's a very special procedure and you need it done right or your cap will stick out like a sore thumb. And I hope you have a good dentist because doing ONE front tooth cap is extremely tricky.

And FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS not eating anything that isn't "white" when they tell you that, etc.

And YES, I have all my upper teeth capped. Every one. And I had all my teeth bleached first.

I chose the highest shade of natural white not the ultra-white fake tooth shade. You have to match to your own teeth, which typically have a grey or yellow undertone, depending. So say, all your teeth "match" the sample tooth cap shades at a number 3, you may get a number 2 after bleaching. Something like that.

I'm curious how you just randomly decided to cap one tooth? You had a large filling that should have been capped but deferred it for awhile?

Or for cosmetic reasons?

What about the other front tooth? If you're capping for cosmetic reasons, say, it's crooked or something, you really should do BOTH.

I actually had both extracted and a bridge because the roots grew crooked under the gum and it would have been impossible for them both to look "accurate".

Also requires some gum work to make the gumlines be right.

If you look at Mrs. Clinton, she has one cap on one front tooth and you can see the difference. Even on a Time magazine cover.
That’s good advice, and I haven’t tried anything yet since my initial attempt. What I’m calling a “cap” is probably actually a crown, my front tooth was crowned years ago when I chipped it and the crown had worn away, so before I spend $600 on a new one I want to try whitening my teeth first, because matching any new crown to a duller white and then bleaching all my teeth would make the crown a mismatch

Old 03-08-2018, 08:47 AM

13,193 posts, read 7,413,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Plaque is my guess.

Get a Water Pic, that may help. I tried one where you put some Xylitol solution in the pic and it is like extra on top of the toothpaste you use, it's pretty good. But as a PIC, the Water Pic is better IMO. The Water Pic pulses, the Weldental doesn't and it's not as strong a flow for people like me who like giving gums a real work out.

https://www.amazon.com/Xylitol-Water.../dp/B01ADKLTHO

Your dentist will be able to help you with that. It's not unusual with braces - I didn't have them but my kid did.

Obvs, they don't like the coffee so brush within 30 min after eating and drinking and I'd recommend a straw to at least bypass some of the quantity on the teeth. Then leave them alone.

You don't want to constantly be snacking or drinking. You want your natural saliva to be able to dissolve that stuff.

As I recall, about six months after the braces came off, his teeth returned to natural normal. Poor guy had to have his senior picture in them just a couple months before they were scheduled to come off.
Thanks. I don't think it's plaque, because I use an electric toothbrush and floss every day. I am religious about brushing my teeth. My teeth are just prone to staining. I do have a water pic at home, and it has the orthodontic attachment. I will use it. I have heard that it helps a lot.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:18 AM

5,841 posts, read 3,314,680 times
I just brush with baking soda after eating staining foods like blueberries or if I notice yellowing.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:24 PM

3,018 posts, read 5,095,142 times
I've always received compliments on how white my teeth are but I have never done the in office treatment.

I buy the Crest 3D White Advanced strips. I leave them on for a half hour and they work just fine. I do get sensitivity but it's tolerable for me. I have even whitened my teeth then proceeded to have dreams they were falling out, that's how sensitive they can get.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
That’s good advice, and I haven’t tried anything yet since my initial attempt. What I’m calling a “cap” is probably actually a crown, my front tooth was crowned years ago when I chipped it and the crown had worn away, so before I spend $600 on a new one I want to try whitening my teeth first, because matching any new crown to a duller white and then bleaching all my teeth would make the crown a mismatch
Yeah cap and crown are the same thing.

I get it now. You wanted a replacement.

Definitely a good idea to bleach first, IMO. The good thing is you're used to having the cap, and your gums are used to it, too, the different thickness and stuff so it'll be good.

NOW they're using some new composite from some kind of rock stuff, I forget. And they feel even thinner to me than the old school caps. They're supposed to last like, forever but the tooth underneath? That's a crap shoot. LOL. But I did have a bridge last 25 years and only replaced it proactively when I did my other upper caps.

No rush, Take your time and just ask the dentist for the low burning solution.

$600 is a very good price but nothing to sneeze at so I agree, why not go for the full bleach project.

The good news is I only had to do the bleach once, and my caps still match my natural teeth on the bottom. It's been about 10 years now since I got them done.

The OTHER reason you bleach is so the little stubs under caps don't show through LOL but you're not going to have that problem since it's only one cap.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:14 PM

3,462 posts, read 1,648,142 times
I've never had the urge to whiten my teeth at all. In my family, you were born with either pretty white teeth like my Dad (teeth that were soft, chalky and extremely prone to cavities), or yellowy "horsey" teeth like my Mom (teeth that were hard and pretty impervious to decay.) I got the yellowy "horsey" teeth and still have all of them PLUS a baby tooth at age 67. I'm not messing with them at this point. Also, the enamel on my teeth has a "fractured" appearance, and I wouldn't want any bleaching agent to get beneath the tooth surface into the dentin. I'd much rather have strong teeth than shiny white ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or