U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 09:11 PM

4,156 posts, read 2,159,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
If you look at Mrs. Clinton, she has one cap on one front tooth and you can see the difference. Even on a Time magazine cover.
I never noticed; however, a dentist analyzed the teeth of several politicians in 2016 and came to the conclusions listed on the following page (with photos):

This Dentist Analyzed The Teeth Of The 2016 Presidential Candidates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 09:17 PM

27,180 posts, read 11,359,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I would like to try some self-whitening but I have several crowns near the front and having some darker teeth would only seem to make them all look worse. Is there any way around that other than replacing the old crowns after whitening...and then constantly working to keep the shades the same over time?
If your teeth match the crowns now, I would leave them alone you can't whiten crowns, you can only replace them and I found out recently that my dentist couldn't match my old PFM crowns with the new emax crowns which are more translucent so I ended up having two more crowns replaced than I needed to so they would match /sigh

Old 03-08-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I never noticed; however, a dentist analyzed the teeth of several politicians in 2016 and came to the conclusions listed on the following page (with photos):

This Dentist Analyzed The Teeth Of The 2016 Presidential Candidates
That was interesting! Even if you don't like Obama..omg those teeth are perfect

Old 03-08-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yeah cap and crown are the same thing.

I get it now. You wanted a replacement.

Definitely a good idea to bleach first, IMO. The good thing is you're used to having the cap, and your gums are used to it, too, the different thickness and stuff so it'll be good.

NOW they're using some new composite from some kind of rock stuff, I forget. And they feel even thinner to me than the old school caps. They're supposed to last like, forever but the tooth underneath? That's a crap shoot. LOL. But I did have a bridge last 25 years and only replaced it proactively when I did my other upper caps.

No rush, Take your time and just ask the dentist for the low burning solution.

$600 is a very good price but nothing to sneeze at so I agree, why not go for the full bleach project.

The good news is I only had to do the bleach once, and my caps still match my natural teeth on the bottom. It's been about 10 years now since I got them done.

The OTHER reason you bleach is so the little stubs under caps don't show through LOL but you're not going to have that problem since it's only one cap.
Do we go to the same dentist? My dentist replaced my old front crowns with e-max which are made of lithium disilicate, my old crowns were PFM so I had to have two additional crowns replaced so they would all match (the PFM crowns are opaque) I also had two 25-30 year old bridges replaced, on proactively the other because there was decay under it. The dentist had to bleach one of the stubs under one of the front crowns because the tooth (with a root canal) had darkened so much and he was afraid it would show through the new crowns which are translucent. But OMG it hurt when he put the bleach on it, I felt it through the local anesthetic

Old 03-11-2018, 01:14 PM

5,119 posts, read 12,720,764 times
I use Crest Whitestrips, too...they really work. Use Sensodyne or some sort of "sensitive" toothpaste when you're doing it, if your teeth get sensitive. Whitening products DO make your teeth more sensitive!

Old 03-12-2018, 10:06 PM

4,575 posts, read 1,141,729 times
I've bleached them twice, not worth it and too much pain

Much easier and cheaper to use charcoal whitening (the new craze).

Old 03-12-2018, 11:19 PM
Status: "A Permanently Exhausted Pigeon.." (set 5 hours ago)

4,212 posts, read 552,324 times
Funny that I should stumble upon this thread tonight.

When I was around 10 years old I was riding on the back of a bike and decided to "get off" while the bike was still moving. I hit the pavement flat on my face. The result was some teeth and had to have a root canal done on my left front tooth. Years later I found out that the tooth is actually cracked at the gum line. I can't believe it hasn't fallen out yet.

Fast forward 50+ years and the tooth with the root canal is really starting to bother me as it's turned darker over the years. When I asked my dentist about replacing the tooth he said it would cost around $3000 and would be a year long process of extracting the tooth, putting a post, and then waiting until the post "cured" to complete the process. That's a big chunk of change that I don't have.

I am a tea/coffee drinker and noticed that my teeth were really dull and in broad daylight that dingy tooth really sticks out. Tonight on a whim I tried brushing my teeth with vinegar and baking soda (I've done peroxide/baking soda before) and it did manage to brighten up my teeth. I wasn't sure if the vinegar/baking soda was good idea so I plugged a query into google and came up with the following link which offers several inexpensive alternatives to professional bleaching:

Baking Soda for Teeth: Brushing Teeth with Baking Soda Toothpaste

Last edited by Daisy Grey; 03-12-2018 at 11:32 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 11:23 PM

19,643 posts, read 13,281,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanip View Post
I stick with backing soda and diluted apple cider vinegar. Works great.
Very interesting, thanks for that tip.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:29 AM

2,684 posts, read 962,344 times
I've known some older people, generally black people from the south, with the most gleaming white teeth imaginable. I had assumed they got some nice dentures, but no, they had NEVER used toothpaste in their lives. They brushed with baking soda, rinsed with hydrogen peroxide, and so help me, they were the most beautiful teeth I'd ever seen. No discomfort whatsoever, though when I tried it, that baking soda and peroxide is explosive. There must be a trick to it.

I heard Oprah Winfrey once say how much she hated toothpaste because she grew up using baking soda.

The people I worked with all said they whitened their teeth and how sensitive they were for days afterward and that was that for me. I've toothaches and I pass.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:41 AM

20,071 posts, read 13,747,950 times
In my youth, I knew a person that used (I kid you not) Comet scouring powder!

I think Rembrandt toothpaste coupled with a whitening mouthwash works wonders even on the teeth of avid coffee and tea drinkers.

Rembrandt toothpaste and mouthwash used to be what dentists included in their take home whitening regimens/kits.
(Those kits used to cost a ton of money! )

Rembrandt products became available to the general public in stores about ten years ago; I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or