U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 08:42 PM

19,630 posts, read 13,276,644 times

Advertisements

So I went to my dentist about getting a tooth capped, and he brought up matching it, and then said if you want to bleach your teeth you would want to do it before we cap your front tooth. So I said, "Hmmmm", and decided, why not? So they took impressions of my teeth and I paid $300 and, after 2 weeks, I came back today to pick up my mouthguards and the bleach for the whitening.

Well, the way it works is you add the bleach to each mouthguard (a drop onto each tooth in the guard) and wear the guard for 40 minutes. You do this three times a day, for 120 minutes a day, for three weeks.

I was told my gums "might get a little white, and slough off" and if sensitive, take the next day off. So I did what was told and it burned immediately. My gums got really white and they were sore for two hours after I removed the guards and rinsed out my mouth. I had the guards in for FIVE MINUTES.

If they hurt like this after 5 minutes, no way can I do 120 minutes a day. Not a chance. Has anyone else experienced this? Are there alternative ways of whitening your teeth that are not painful like this? Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 09:20 PM

1,057 posts, read 350,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So I went to my dentist about getting a tooth capped, and he brought up matching it, and then said if you want to bleach your teeth you would want to do it before we cap your front tooth. So I said, "Hmmmm", and decided, why not? So they took impressions of my teeth and I paid $300 and, after 2 weeks, I came back today to pick up my mouthguards and the bleach for the whitening.

Well, the way it works is you add the bleach to each mouthguard (a drop onto each tooth in the guard) and wear the guard for 40 minutes. You do this three times a day, for 120 minutes a day, for three weeks.

I was told my gums "might get a little white, and slough off" and if sensitive, take the next day off. So I did what was told and it burned immediately. My gums got really white and they were sore for two hours after I removed the guards and rinsed out my mouth. I had the guards in for FIVE MINUTES.

If they hurt like this after 5 minutes, no way can I do 120 minutes a day. Not a chance. Has anyone else experienced this? Are there alternative ways of whitening your teeth that are not painful like this? Thanks for any suggestions.
Yep, I was in Costa Rica and decided to do it. The hygienist did several levels of the mouth guard you mention (I think it went up to five) but everytime she put in a new mouth guard, about fifteen minutes each, the discomfort level went up a notch. After about four treatments, she kept saying one more, and I said no. It went from discomfort to pain.

On the plus side, I had the most beautiful white, movie star smile for several weeks after. It did fade a bit, but I’m not about to give up coffee and use Crest 3D White advanced stain protection toothpaste. Works well, although that dazzling level of white can only be achieved by the mouth guard treatments. I also use the whitening mouthwash to go with the toothpaste. Rembrandt works well too.

Last edited by Taz22; 03-06-2018 at 10:06 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 10:47 PM

974 posts, read 853,969 times
Quote:

I had the same experience you did, only it took a little longer for me to reach that level of pain. I salivated like a rabid dog the first couple of times I used the bleach trays. Then the burning started. OMG. I called my dentist and they provided a lower strength of bleach to see if I could tolerate that. It was too much too so I gave up. I could see a tiny bit of difference in the color of my teeth but not enough to torture myself like that ever again.

I don't have a suitable alternative method to offer, other than the whitening toothpastes that are out there. My mom swore by baking soda and salt mixed together and her teeth were always a nice shade of white. Not glaringly white but white enough. I have a slightly different tone to my teeth to begin with so I haven't seen much difference. Might be worth a try for you. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:35 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,393,337 times
Quote:

Put in less bleach. It doesnít have to reach the gum line to affect the whole tooth (it will seep up a little in the enamel). So try less in the tray, maybe half what you think is right. Your tooth will displace it and it will squish up between the bleach tray and the tooth, so you want just enough to fill that space and cover the bottom 2/3 of the tooth but not enough to reach the gum line.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Put in less bleach. It doesnít have to reach the gum line to affect the whole tooth (it will seep up a little in the enamel). So try less in the tray, maybe half what you think is right. Your tooth will displace it and it will squish up between the bleach tray and the tooth, so you want just enough to fill that space and cover the bottom 2/3 of the tooth but not enough to reach the gum line.
Thats what I am going to try next, thanks for your advice. I may have to use a tiny amount and will try to keep it from reaching the gum line.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:24 AM

9,101 posts, read 3,923,269 times
I tried the Crest white strips but saw just a slight difference. Like a lot of other new trends it seems everybody must have teeth as white as a Chiclet. I have sensitive gums and wouldn't even attempt to use those bleaching trays.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I tried the Crest white strips but saw just a slight difference. Like a lot of other new trends it seems everybody must have teeth as white as a Chiclet. I have sensitive gums and wouldn't even attempt to use those bleaching trays.
I do too but I didnít think the bleach was so potent, in fact, I didnít think it would get on my gums. You have to be careful how much you apply, there is a learning curve.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:48 AM

1,531 posts, read 541,094 times
What for? Just gonna turn yellow again within a few weeks anyhow lol

Old 03-07-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
What for?
Because I can.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:09 AM

15,736 posts, read 11,744,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
What for? Just gonna turn yellow again within a few weeks anyhow lol
only if you chainsmoke.

I use those whitening strips. I have sensitive gums and it works well. I do that every few months, 1x for half hour and people tell me my teeth are nicely white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or