Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 11:47 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times

Advertisements

I usually pay attention to fashion trends, but this one I missed. Lately, I keep running into young women wearing a full heavily foundationed and powdered face and nothing else. No blush, no bronzer, eyeliner eyeshadow or mascara. I have a hard time thinking someone is putting that much effort into foundation and then declaring themselves done. And it’s not a natural foundation finish they are going for. It’s obvious they are wearing foundation and a boatload of powder. It matches, too, so there’s not that your face doesn’t match your neck.

The first time I ran into it, I thought it was a mistake. I’ve done that, gotten distracted by something and went to work with no mascara, but my eye shadow on. The next time I saw her, same thing. Thought it was just her choice.

Then I ran into more women doing it, all young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 10:21 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,681,572 times
God, I hope that's not a trend!

In the train not long ago a woman sat facing me, and she started to do her face. She applied some foundation, pancake with a sponge, and she looked a little better. But then she pulled out some powder and she brushed it on, and brushed it on, and brushed it on until her skin was so cakey that she looked worse than before she started. She did apply blusher but it was a very pale color that did nothing. I don't get it.

I love makeup, and don't mind matte, but was never into that cakey look.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:34 AM

6,148 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I've seen it, too, and just assumed the women/girls underneath had bad skin they wanted to hide.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I've seen it, too, and just assumed the women/girls underneath had bad skin they wanted to hide.
I haven't noticed this "trend", but if its mostly younger people doing it, I woild also think its to cover up bad skin/acne scars.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:02 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Doing your eyes is very time consuming, maybe that is their reason for skipping it.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:55 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I dunno. I don't like to wear makeup much, but I've had to appear on videos for work lately and I'm now over 40. I like using the "green" BB cream on my face to smooth out my complexion and I might do some lipstick if I'm going to be meeting people for work.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:44 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,709 times
Went to work with foundation, and forgot to put on anything else. When I got home I scared myself I looked so.... can't find the word.
If it's a trend I'll let it pass. Eyeliner and lipstick would be my bare minimum, not just lots of foundation.
The eyebrow trend is huge, I see. Not sure about a foundation only trend.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:43 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Went to work with foundation, and forgot to put on anything else. When I got home I scared myself I looked so.... can't find the word.
If it's a trend I'll let it pass. Eyeliner and lipstick would be my bare minimum, not just lots of foundation.
The eyebrow trend is huge, I see. Not sure about a foundation only trend.
Now that I'm in my 60s, I use no foundation. I may use a super super LIGHT dust of mineral powder on occasion. I color my brows (now silver so they need color) and I wear a very light touch of liner on upper lid, and touch of mascara on occasion. Other than that, just a natural lip tint. I hate the look (and feel) of cakey makeup. I actually think I look better than I did when I wore a "full face."

Old 03-18-2018, 09:09 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Now that I'm in my 60s, I use no foundation. I may use a super super LIGHT dust of mineral powder on occasion. I color my brows (now silver so they need color) and I wear a very light touch of liner on upper lid, and touch of mascara on occasion. Other than that, just a natural lip tint. I hate the look (and feel) of cakey makeup. I actually think I look better than I did when I wore a "full face."
I’m with you. I ditched foundation and anything of that ilk. BB cream, tinted moisturizer, serum foundation, mineral powder...tried them all, and I didn’t like how any of it felt on my face, and flat non dimensional look I saw on me — and other than some redness that almost everybody doesn’t see, my skin is fine.

There was one foundation years ago, that I loved. Coty Chronologix. It was a wet dry powder, and applied wet was so light it felt like bare skin. But better. Used it for a couple of years and it’s gone. Other wet dry powders wet application is heavy and dry is light. Also, the style is matte. Or mineral, which is shiny. Reminds me of Data from Star Trek.

But I’m with you. Gotta do my brows, and a little mascara and tinted lip balm, I'm good to go. And if I could tint my lashes...but frankly that scares me.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:27 AM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I usually pay attention to fashion trends, but this one I missed. Lately, I keep running into young women wearing a full heavily foundationed and powdered face and nothing else. No blush, no bronzer, eyeliner eyeshadow or mascara. I have a hard time thinking someone is putting that much effort into foundation and then declaring themselves done. And it’s not a natural foundation finish they are going for. It’s obvious they are wearing foundation and a boatload of powder. It matches, too, so there’s not that your face doesn’t match your neck.

The first time I ran into it, I thought it was a mistake. I’ve done that, gotten distracted by something and went to work with no mascara, but my eye shadow on. The next time I saw her, same thing. Thought it was just her choice.

Then I ran into more women doing it, all young.
Seen it. Hate it.

This generation in general, wears more makeup than any in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty