U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 07:59 AM

4,377 posts, read 1,482,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I also have to wash my hair daily or it gets too oily and nasty, not to mention it would itch like hell!

Conditioner has a little bit of detergent (like shampoo, but less) in it, so that it rinses out properly.

Speaking from experience, just using conditioner for a day or 2, takes care of the oiliness (sp?) and nastiness.

Now me personally, I just skip one day of shampoo, but always use the conditioner. My hair does well with this routine.

But I'm older. My hair isn't as thick as it used to be, and I don't have crazy hormones jacking everything up. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 08:05 AM

4,825 posts, read 2,138,910 times
3x a week. I do a vinegar/apple rinse . It leaves the hair feeling 'stringy'. But about two hours of letting it air dry...it's smooth,soft and no heavy conditioning feel to it. I went 5 days with just the rinse and the natural hair oils got the best of me. I think each person's hygiene is different...so use a regime that balances it. My vinigar rinse might not work for a dander prone scalp.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:17 AM

45 posts, read 20,677 times
I have long fine hair and I wash it twice a week, and use dry shampoo in between if I feel it getting too flat. I have friends that just use conditioner and that works just fine for them.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:26 AM

6,412 posts, read 2,334,503 times
Purchase of expensive shampoos and conditioners are pushed at hair salons by hairdressers who double as salespeople working on commission. Every time I went to get my hair cut, they'd push a $50 bottle of something in my face and tell me I had to buy it. I stopped using these and use alternative products such as vinegar, instead.

Hairdressers also lie about cheaper, drugstore products such as Pantene, claiming they will cause your hair to fall out. Drugstore products are just fine.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:46 AM

15,736 posts, read 11,738,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
With being off work with a poorly foot which needed to be constantly bandaged up, I was finding it very difficult to wash my hair under the shower. So I decided to try not washing it, at least until my foot has healed, and was amazed to find that, two weeks later, it's still looking good.

Has anyone else stopped using shampoo? Do you still use conditioner? I haven't been, but would like to know if I should do.

And how often do you rinse your hair through under the shower? I don't live in an urban area, so my hair never really gets dirty anyway.
wow. I have never heard of that.

I need to wash my hair every 3 days or it gets nasty looking AND smelling. It is long and of course catches all the smells in the air. Plus sweat from working out. Then my scalp gets itchy. I can't even brush my hair if I only use shampoo and no conditioner.

Very interesting. Do you do any sports? How about smells???

MOst of the time I wash my hair in the sink - that may be something for you with the foot thingy, too.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:19 AM

1,149 posts, read 324,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
Is hair supposed to smell like a chemical?
No, it's supposed to smell CLEAN!

Old 03-21-2018, 10:06 AM

2,036 posts, read 945,165 times
Age can go either way from what I have researched. Now that I am over 40, I've found that I have to wash my straight hair more often.

My theory is my hair has thinned a bit from when it was super thick

So whatever oil is generated has less area now, making it feel more greasy

Old 03-21-2018, 10:19 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,446,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Hairdressers also lie about cheaper, drugstore products such as Pantene, claiming they will cause your hair to fall out. Drugstore products are just fine.
I was going to write something along these lines.

I need to take a daily shower and wash my hair, especially in the summer, or I have bad body odor. That's just how it is. I could go broke buying pricey name brand soaps and shampoos.

Over the years, I've found that water quality (hardness) is more of an issue to drugstore products not working properly than their formulas. I've found that I can still get by with inexpensive products if I get those that are formulated for hard water, that or put a water filter on my shower head, which I did recently.

It's not sexy, but a few drops of Dawn dish detergent can work to clean oily hair. Wild life rescuers use that to clean oil from water fowl, so it's good enough for me!

Old 03-21-2018, 10:38 AM

6,779 posts, read 6,854,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Yep mine too. It becomes uncomfortable. It's like my scalp hurts. I read that it's the oil around the follicles
I get that too! Everyone looks at me like I'm nuts when I tell them that if I don't wash my hair for awhile my scalp hurts. Oil around the follicles make sense because that's exactly where I feel it, in the follicles.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:06 AM

11,015 posts, read 13,630,715 times
If I don't shower and wash my hair everyday, you would NOT want to be around me. I'd never be allowed on the Space Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or