U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 11:24 AM

2,345 posts, read 3,882,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Do you do any sports? How about smells???

I'm 63, so no sports. My main exercise when fit and well would be country walking. No smells, at present, as I'm mostly confined to my home, mostly going out only for medical appointments or shopping, and when I return to work it will be in a hospital, so I shouldn't, fingers crossed, be picking up smells in a mostly sterile atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 11:26 AM

3,128 posts, read 1,219,723 times
I used to have to wash it every day, now I wash every other day, and condition daily.
That can vary if I dye my hair, which dries it out and I wash it less often.

Didja know...historically, people didn't wash their hair (or bodies) very often. With long hair, the ends would get dry and the scalp oily. Brushing moved the natural conditioning oils from the scalp to the ends. That's the origin of brushing your hair 100 strokes a day.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:35 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,452,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Didja know...historically, people didn't wash their hair (or bodies) very often.
I know that, but I've also read enough published diaries and other accounts to know that people stunk! Indoor plumbing was one of the most civilizing inventions of all time.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:55 AM

1,565 posts, read 1,511,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
And how often do you rinse your hair through under the shower? I don't live in an urban area, so my hair never really gets dirty anyway.
I wash my hair 2 to 3 times a week. It's quite long (several inches past shoulders) and it just takes way to long to wash it more than that (the days I don't wash it, I'll tie it up so it doesn't get wet in the shower). Plus, I've been told it's healthier to wash your hair every other day or every third day (from almost every hair stylist I've been to). Can't say I'm an expert on that, but my hair stylists always rave about how healthy my hair is! I'm not in an urban area either, out in the middle of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I know that, but I've also read enough published diaries and other accounts to know that people stunk! Indoor plumbing was one of the most civilizing inventions of all time.
Yes it was! My friend at work's the opposite of me--she has to wash her hair everyday but can skip a day without a shower. If I don't get a shower in each day, there are certain areas that get real nasty! I'll just leave it at that.

My opinion is that the hair-washing thing is different for each person. Whatever works, stick with that.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 03-21-2018 at 12:09 PM..

Old 03-21-2018, 12:27 PM

2,609 posts, read 1,114,900 times
My hair has always been very dry and stiff (like my skin, LOL) so I minimized washing to once a week. It never looked oily, even after 3 weeks once when I had surgery and could not shower. THEN, I found the keratin straightening treatment which was life-changing but did make my hair look flatter and thinner (but apparently more "hip", considering the compliments). The treatment lasts about 6 months---I love it. My hair does not fall out like it used to with my natural frizzy/curly/wavy combo.

Here's what I found out: I forgot my expensive "conditioner" while on vacation, so desperate for a "smoother", I just used some Jergen's lotion after washing, before blowing it out. Worked just the same. LOL. Now you know. And despite shelling out $38 for a bottle of Redken special shampoo, the hairdresser confided that just getting a non-sulfate shampoo would do....

Old 03-21-2018, 01:53 PM

15,745 posts, read 13,176,204 times
I have long 3b curly hair and I never "shampoo" my hair. Once a week I will use a non detergent cleanser, usually midweek. One weekend day I do the scalp massage to move the natural oils down the hair shaft. Once a month I do a clap and apple cider vinegar mask. A couple of times a week I condition and wet comb my hair. In the summer when I surf I rinse my hair with vinegar more often.

My hair never looks or smells funny.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:19 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 5 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,494,040 times
I use to wash and condition my hair every day which was bad for it. I have very dry and frizzy hair. Now I wash as needed. If I am not too active and don't sweat I can get away with 4-5 days. I may freshen my scalp with a dry shampoo and brush it through. If I am working hard, outside or working out I wash it much more often. If I am stinky then my hair is stinky

Old 03-21-2018, 02:42 PM

830 posts, read 1,484,056 times
My hairdresser recently gave me a hard time for shampooing every day because my hair was getting really dry and tangled. i do work out most every day and I hated to think about not washing it but she said at the absolute least, I could wash just the scalp with shampoo and condition the rest.
Anyway - I have cut back to every other day and I do think my hair feels healthier. I do color my hair and I blow dry it most times when I wash it so these also contribute to the dry condition of my hair. In the summer, I'm not sure i'll be able to skip a day of hair washing when I run outside and get really sweaty.
I lost all my hair to breast cancer 5 years ago and it feels such a luxury to have it now and to have it hang past my shoulders that it's really a pleasure to wash it and swing it around!

Old 03-21-2018, 06:32 PM

11,432 posts, read 19,443,622 times
I wash my hair every two or three days. However, I use a small amount of no sulfate (very low sudsing) shampoo. I wash my scalp well, and froth down the rest of the hair shaft. Rinse. I rarely use conditioner, it seems to weigh my hair down and make it finer than it is.

I know my way works for me, because once a month, I do a second shampoo, with the same amount of shampoo, it’s wildly foamy, so it’s obviously clean, and do a deep condition mask on my hair.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:02 PM

5,131 posts, read 3,639,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
No, I've never heard of that before. But everybody's hair is different.
People's heads DEFINITELY have an odor to them if they don't wash their hair.
My husband's hair is very oily and I can't imagine how he'd smell if he didn't wash it often. His pillow would be filthy with oils in no time (yuck!)

We go camping in the summer and sometimes if it's cold out and we can't wash in the lake, he'll go four days without washing it. It's very oily, stringy and not attractive IMO, but hey, we're camping so I would never say anything. Mine on the other hand, is just starting to get a bit oily after four days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or