U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 09:00 PM

7,093 posts, read 2,210,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I can't go 24 hours without my hair getting stringy and gross. The "nopoo" movement is never going to happen for me.
If you stop using shampoo, as I did many years ago, you have to give your hair time to adjust. It needs to no longer have to replace the oil that you constantly wash away with shampoo. The more you wash away, the more oil will be produced to replace it. If you stop using any soap on your hair, over a period of a few weeks, the oil production will diminish, eventually dropping to only a small amount.

What I do to clean my hair, is to wet part of a towel with warm water and thoroughly rub my hair with it, for about one minute. Then I use the other end of the towel, to rub it dry. Then I comb it out, to keep it from drying with knots in it.That gets rid of any dirt and the small amount of oil that will be in it. But it doesn't stimulate the oil glands in the hair roots, to produce much more. Instead of having to shampoo every day, to keep my hair from becoming greasy and matted, I do this once every other day and my hair is just fine and never at all oily.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 03-21-2018 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 09:50 PM

11,628 posts, read 17,040,226 times
Default N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
With being off work with a poorly foot which needed to be constantly bandaged up, I was finding it very difficult to wash my hair under the shower. So I decided to try not washing it, at least until my foot has healed, and was amazed to find that, two weeks later, it's still looking good.

Has anyone else stopped using shampoo? Do you still use conditioner? I haven't been, but would like to know if I should do.

And how often do you rinse your hair through under the shower? I don't live in an urban area, so my hair never really gets dirty anyway.
Wrap your foot in a plastic bag.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:00 PM

11,628 posts, read 17,040,226 times
The thing is. People who don’t wash and want to be all natural don’t smell themselves, so they think they are fine. They think nobody else smell them either. Lol

Old 03-22-2018, 03:54 AM

2,344 posts, read 3,881,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
The thing is. People who donít wash and want to be all natural donít smell themselves, so they think they are fine. They think nobody else smell them either. Lol

Which is somewhat akin to saying that people who have had facelifts or Botox treatment can look in a mirror and think that they look fine, and that other people can't see they've had it done.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:29 AM

7,965 posts, read 3,869,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If you stop using shampoo, as I did many years ago, you have to give your hair time to adjust. It needs to no longer have to replace the oil that you constantly wash away with shampoo. The more you wash away, the more oil will be produced to replace it. If you stop using any soap on your hair, over a period of a few weeks, the oil production will diminish, eventually dropping to only a small amount.
Glad it worked for you. It won’t work for me. I can’t leave the house with my hair looking the way it does if I don’t wash my hair. I can’t give my hair time to adjust unless I can find a way to stay home during that time. But my boss might take issue with that.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:37 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,488,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
People's heads DEFINITELY have an odor to them if they don't wash their hair.
My husband's hair is very oily and I can't imagine how he'd smell if he didn't wash it often. His pillow would be filthy with oils in no time (yuck!)

We go camping in the summer and sometimes if it's cold out and we can't wash in the lake, he'll go four days without washing it. It's very oily, stringy and not attractive IMO, but hey, we're camping so I would never say anything. Mine on the other hand, is just starting to get a bit oily after four days.
That's exactly how it is for my husband and I.

Quote:

What I do to clean my hair, is to wet part of a towel with warm water and thoroughly rub my hair with it, for about one minute. Then I use the other end of the towel, to rub it dry. Then I comb it out, to keep it from drying with knots in it.That gets rid of any dirt and the small amount of oil that will be in it. But it doesn't stimulate the oil glands in the hair roots, to produce much more. Instead of having to shampoo every day, to keep my hair from becoming greasy and matted, I do this once every other day and my hair is just fine and never at all oily.

Umm...how does your hair "smell"? I need all the oil/moisture I can get for my hair but I cannot imagine my DH not washing his.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:07 AM

9,098 posts, read 3,923,269 times
I wash every other day, not so much because of an oily scalp but because my hair is on the short side and I use a lot of product. After two days it looks a mess. When I was younger I washed every day because my scalp was very oily but as we age most people start getting dry everywhere.

Now if my hair was long I would probably be okay to go twice a week.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:58 AM

15,736 posts, read 11,744,086 times
Quote:
Ha! Same with dogs The more you wash a dog, the more smelly he gets - because his body needs to replace those washed away oils. That's why those (mostly little) dogs who get a bath every week smell more than a big dog - they are overwashed.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:21 AM

4,981 posts, read 5,449,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
The thing is. People who donít wash and want to be all natural donít smell themselves, so they think they are fine. They think nobody else smell them either. Lol
The system won't let me rep you again right now, but this is my thought as well.

I'm a firm believer in "live and let live" . . . I'm sure there are people out there who can get by with less washing. That said, even in our survival classes, they instilled in us the idea that a "sink bath" that included the feet was a daily must-have, and that could be done with sand/wet ones/alcohol if water was an issue.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:53 AM

2,039 posts, read 946,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I
It's not sexy, but a few drops of Dawn dish detergent can work to clean oily hair. Wild life rescuers use that to clean oil from water fowl, so it's good enough for me!
I just discovered Dawn too! I had been using this "natural" shampoo for a while and things got ugly greasy. I saw the little ducky on the bottle and I said, if it's good enough to get his grease off, it's good enough for me.

It was AMAZING. I only use a tiny bit about once a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I get that too! Everyone looks at me like I'm nuts when I tell them that if I don't wash my hair for awhile my scalp hurts. Oil around the follicles make sense because that's exactly where I feel it, in the follicles.
Glad I'm not the only one Sometimes I think I have a headache, nope just need to wash my hair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or