U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 10:55 AM

2,039 posts, read 946,996 times

Advertisements

There's an interesting book about stuff like this that I read...

It's called "The Dirt on Clean: An Unsanitized History"

It's interesting to see how attitudes towards hygiene have changed over time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 12:17 PM

3,656 posts, read 1,193,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Most people wash their hair way too much. Our hair produces more oils because we strip them away.

I try not to wash my hair more than 3x a week. My hair is very fine and shows oil easily, or I'd try to adjust it to 2x. My friend, who's hair is a different texture, can easily go a week.
Um, yeah...

I've gone for 2 days without washing my hair (like over a weekend when I have no plans to go out at all, and if I have to I throw a bandanna over it). No way would I ever do that over the course of a 5-day workweek. My hair is a mess in the morning when I get up, and no amount of brushing will fix that (it's a cropped style, so I can't just pull it all back and braid it up or something like that).

Old 03-22-2018, 12:26 PM

1,804 posts, read 772,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Um, yeah...

I've gone for 2 days without washing my hair (like over a weekend when I have no plans to go out at all, and if I have to I throw a bandanna over it). No way would I ever do that over the course of a 5-day workweek. My hair is a mess in the morning when I get up, and no amount of brushing will fix that (it's a cropped style, so I can't just pull it all back and braid it up or something like that).
Good thing nobody is making you do it?

Old 03-22-2018, 12:29 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,487,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I get that too! Everyone looks at me like I'm nuts when I tell them that if I don't wash my hair for awhile my scalp hurts. Oil around the follicles make sense because that's exactly where I feel it, in the follicles.

Nope, I don't think you're nuts. I have the same thing. I always say it hurts so good. LOL Like when you take rollers out of your hair, or take a pony tail down...the relief (and the pain) feels so good.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:42 PM

3,656 posts, read 1,193,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Good thing nobody is making you do it?
I run into enough crunchy granola types at folk festivals to make me glad I am not them. When I go to those events, or even to one-night folk dances, I'm showered, shampooed, legs shaved, pits shaved, teeth brushed, and I don't smell like I've been doing manual labor all day.

I work front desk at my job, the unshowered/unshampooed look would not go over too well with management.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:46 PM

9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
even animals use dust baths to remove populants and body oils...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_bathing

if people dont want to use shampoo fine. but to ignore build up of oils or claim the body can adjust to it...? they are less hygenic than wild beasts who can manage to bath themselves in their own way

Old 03-22-2018, 01:04 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,204,419 times
I do think we generally wash our hair too much. I tried to do this but by day 3 it was just too greasy looking and stringy!

Old 03-22-2018, 02:06 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,487,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I run into enough crunchy granola types at folk festivals to make me glad I am not them. When I go to those events, or even to one-night folk dances, I'm showered, shampooed, legs shaved, pits shaved, teeth brushed, and I don't smell like I've been doing manual labor all day.

I work front desk at my job, the unshowered/unshampooed look would not go over too well with management.

I think everyone's needs are different.

I work a front desk job too, and I'm doing the every other day thing (but use conditioner every day) and it's been working out fine for me..

I don't think it's very fair to imply that somehow, the other posters are somehow less clean than you because they're not washing their hair as often as you.

YOU know what works for you, and that's fine. Why imply you know what works for others?

Old 03-22-2018, 03:25 PM

7,093 posts, read 2,207,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If you stop using shampoo, as I did many years ago, you have to give your hair time to adjust. It needs to no longer have to replace the oil that you constantly wash away with shampoo. The more you wash away, the more oil will be produced to replace it. If you stop using any soap on your hair, over a period of a few weeks, the oil production will diminish, eventually dropping to only a small amount.

What I do to clean my hair, is to wet part of a towel with warm water and thoroughly rub my hair with it, for about one minute. Then I use the other end of the towel, to rub it dry. Then I comb it out, to keep it from drying with knots in it.That gets rid of any dirt and the small amount of oil that will be in it. But it doesn't stimulate the oil glands in the hair roots, to produce much more. Instead of having to shampoo every day, to keep my hair from becoming greasy and matted, I do this once every other day and my hair is just fine and never at all oily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Glad it worked for you. It wonít work for me. I canít leave the house with my hair looking the way it does if I donít wash my hair. I canít give my hair time to adjust unless I can find a way to stay home during that time. But my boss might take issue with that.

In a way, it's like an addiction, where the oil glands in your hair roots have to go through a withdrawal period, to return to a normal pattern of producing just a little bit of oil. But it doesn't have to be a "cold-turkey" withdrawal. You could do two things: Use just a small amount of a very mild shampoo, such as Neutrogena and shampoo just every other day for awhile. This is what worked for me, when I went from heavy shampooing once or twice a day, to no shampoo or soap at all, just warm water and lots of towel rubbing.

There's many combinations of things for reducing the amount of shampooing, that might accomplish the purpose. Also, during the transition, you might tie up your hair, instead of letting it fall loosely and any lack of shampooing on oily hair wouldn't be so noticeable. Good luck if you try this.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:38 PM

21,464 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
In a way, it's like an addiction, where the oil glands in your hair roots have to go through a withdrawal period, to return to a normal pattern of producing just a little bit of oil. But it doesn't have to be a "cold-turkey" withdrawal. You could do two things: Use just a small amount of a very mild shampoo, such as Neutrogena and shampoo just every other day for awhile. This is what worked for me, when I went from heavy shampooing once or twice a day, to no shampoo or soap at all, just warm water and lots of towel rubbing.

There's many combinations of things for reducing the amount of shampooing, that might accomplish the purpose. Also, during the transition, you might tie up your hair, instead of letting it fall loosely and any lack of shampooing on oily hair wouldn't be so noticeable. Good luck if you try this.
How long is your hair? I can tell you that with shoulder length hair or longer, no shampoo and towel rubbing would not be a good look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or