U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 05:19 PM

7,403 posts, read 2,325,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If you stop using shampoo, as I did many years ago, you have to give your hair time to adjust. It needs to no longer have to replace the oil that you constantly wash away with shampoo. The more you wash away, the more oil will be produced to replace it. If you stop using any soap on your hair, over a period of a few weeks, the oil production will diminish, eventually dropping to only a small amount.

What I do to clean my hair, is to wet part of a towel with warm water and thoroughly rub my hair with it, for about one minute. Then I use the other end of the towel, to rub it dry. Then I comb it out, to keep it from drying with knots in it.That gets rid of any dirt and the small amount of oil that will be in it. But it doesn't stimulate the oil glands in the hair roots, to produce much more. Instead of having to shampoo every day, to keep my hair from becoming greasy and matted, I do this once every other day and my hair is just fine and never at all oily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Glad it worked for you. It wonít work for me. I canít leave the house with my hair looking the way it does if I donít wash my hair. I canít give my hair time to adjust unless I can find a way to stay home during that time. But my boss might take issue with that.

In a way, it's like an addiction, where the oil glands in your hair roots have to go through a withdrawal period, to return to a normal pattern of producing just a little bit of oil. But it doesn't have to be a "cold-turkey" withdrawal. You could do two things: Use just a small amount of a very mild shampoo, such as Neutrogena and shampoo just every other day for awhile. This is what worked for me, when I went from heavy shampooing once or twice a day, to no shampoo or soap at all, just warm water and lots of towel rubbing.

There's many combinations of things for reducing the amount of shampooing, that might accomplish the purpose. Also, during the transition, you might tie up your hair, instead of letting it fall loosely and any lack of shampooing on oily hair wouldn't be so noticeable. Good luck if you try this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 05:31 PM

8,165 posts, read 4,038,079 times
Quote:
In a way, it's like an addiction, where the oil glands in your hair roots have to go through a withdrawal period, to return to a normal pattern of producing just a little bit of oil. But it doesn't have to be a "cold-turkey" withdrawal. You could do two things: Use just a small amount of a very mild shampoo, such as Neutrogena and shampoo just every other day for awhile. This is what worked for me, when I went from heavy shampooing once or twice a day, to no shampoo or soap at all, just warm water and lots of towel rubbing.

There's many combinations of things for reducing the amount of shampooing, that might accomplish the purpose. Also, during the transition, you might tie up your hair, instead of letting it fall loosely and any lack of shampooing on oily hair wouldn't be so noticeable. Good luck if you try this.
Oh, it's still VERY noticable. And smelly.

Thanks for your concern, but I won't be attempting it. In addition to the reasons I've stated, I'm not interested in doing lots of towel rubbing since that would cause a lot of tangling and wouldn't be a good idea with my already thinning hair.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:04 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,016,964 times
I personally don't believe the idea that your scalp learns to produce less oil by washing it with shampoo less often

I haven't seen any scientific evidence of that.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:58 AM

7,403 posts, read 2,325,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I personally don't believe the idea that your scalp learns to produce less oil by washing it with shampoo less often

I haven't seen any scientific evidence of that.

I've seen plenty of evidence in my own hair, that the oil glands do respond with much more production, when shampooing is done frequently and the existing oil is washed away. But you certainly wouldn't see any scientific studies on it, that were funded by shampoo companies. They would want everyone to think that regular shampooing was a necessary thing. It would seem they've been very successful in convincing a lot of people of that. Same with all kinds of soap and deodorant.

People in most other cultures and even our own in the past, would laugh at our modern-day obsession with frequent washing and bathing. As recently as my parents' youth, everyone in colder climates was sewn into their long-johns in November and they stayed on until early April.

Regarding the question about my hair length, with the exception of time in the military, my hair has been just about the typical, medium-short length, for a man of this culture. But, there were a few years when I was younger, when I let it grow down almost to my shoulders. I noticed no difference in the oil production then or any more difficulty cleaning it, with my warm-water towel-rubbing method.

But everyone is different, regarding their hair type. My hair is very fine and is affected more by excess oil. I once had a woman-friend who also had red hair and hers was as coarse as copper wiring. It was naturally curly, but she could do nothing to change its style, as it would snap right back to its original position.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:39 AM

2,183 posts, read 1,016,964 times
Quote:
I've seen plenty of evidence in my own hair, that the oil glands do respond with much more production, when shampooing is done frequently and the existing oil is washed away. But you certainly wouldn't see any scientific studies on it, that were funded by shampoo companies. They would want everyone to think that regular shampooing was a necessary thing. It would seem they've been very successful in convincing a lot of people of that. Same with all kinds of soap and deodorant.

People in most other cultures and even our own in the past, would laugh at our modern-day obsession with frequent washing and bathing. As recently as my parents' youth, everyone in colder climates was sewn into their long-johns in November and they stayed on until early April.

Regarding the question about my hair length, with the exception of time in the military, my hair has been just about the typical, medium-short length, for a man of this culture. But, there were a few years when I was younger, when I let it grow down almost to my shoulders. I noticed no difference in the oil production then or any more difficulty cleaning it, with my warm-water towel-rubbing method.

But everyone is different, regarding their hair type. My hair is very fine and is affected more by excess oil. I once had a woman-friend who also had red hair and hers was as coarse as copper wiring. It was naturally curly, but she could do nothing to change its style, as it would snap right back to its original position.
I believe you

I just don't believe the overall science "fact" that is touted everywhere when you read about no-poo and stuff like that. I haven't read that in any of the actual science I have read on the issue

But I agree, the biggest thing is, all of our hair is different and only by trial and error do we learn what works best

Old 03-23-2018, 09:02 AM
Status: "People and tear gas - either it's a border or it isn't." (set 5 days ago)

13,631 posts, read 5,366,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
Do you still use conditioner? I haven't been, but would like to know if I should do.
I use shampoo only if I shower in the evening, say after a run or swim. I use shampoo and conditioner most mornings to look good during the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
And how often do you rinse your hair through under the shower? I don't live in an urban area, so my hair never really gets dirty anyway.
Twice during conditioner showers, once during shampoo-only showers.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:22 PM

2,292 posts, read 766,610 times
I wash my hair about every 5 days (more if it needs it) because it has NO body at all when it's freshly washed. It's much easier to manage after 2 days.

But I have to use conditioner to get a comb through it. De-Tangling lotions don't work well enough.

I do know someone, who is around 60, that has no used shampoo for many, many years. She just rinses with hot water (although I suspect that she uses some type of soap once in a while). Her hair is thick and lush and it makes me jealous.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:49 PM

11,494 posts, read 19,601,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I wash my hair about every 5 days (more if it needs it) because it has NO body at all when it's freshly washed. It's much easier to manage after 2 days.

But I have to use conditioner to get a comb through it. De-Tangling lotions don't work well enough.

I do know someone, who is around 60, that has no used shampoo for many, many years. She just rinses with hot water (although I suspect that she uses some type of soap once in a while). Her hair is thick and lush and it makes me jealous.
I rarely use conditioner, because it weighs my hair down. One of the things I do is brush my hair before I shower, and wash my hair using the pads of my fingers going one way, back and forth, pick up my hands and move over a little to scrub there. By not dragging my fingers through my hair and I donít tangle my hair and then I run the lather through to the ends.

I think the way commercials show people how to wash hair is wrong, but itís pretty. Way too much shampoo to create ďluxurious latherĒ, and piling all the hair on top and knotting it all together.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:55 PM

5,035 posts, read 1,286,717 times
I have massive nasty dandruff, Iím talking Frosted Flakes.

Not using shampoo isnít an option for people like me.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:58 PM

8,165 posts, read 4,038,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I rarely use conditioner, because it weighs my hair down. One of the things I do is brush my hair before I shower, and wash my hair using the pads of my fingers going one way, back and forth, pick up my hands and move over a little to scrub there. By not dragging my fingers through my hair and I donít tangle my hair and then I run the lather through to the ends.

I think the way commercials show people how to wash hair is wrong, but itís pretty. Way too much shampoo to create ďluxurious latherĒ, and piling all the hair on top and knotting it all together.
Everyone's hair is different. Dragging my fingers through my hair and piling it on top doesn't cause any tangling or knots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or