Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 02:38 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I rarely use conditioner, because it weighs my hair down. One of the things I do is brush my hair before I shower, and wash my hair using the pads of my fingers going one way, back and forth, pick up my hands and move over a little to scrub there. By not dragging my fingers through my hair and I don’t tangle my hair and then I run the lather through to the ends.

I think the way commercials show people how to wash hair is wrong, but it’s pretty. Way too much shampoo to create “luxurious lather”, and piling all the hair on top and knotting it all together.

There is a way to 'wrap the hair up' after a shower, that uses tshirts instead. It's called hair plopping. It's what I do, except I use a towel instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq4tDMf__YU

It's easier on the hair, because it doesn't pull it at the roots, like the usual way of wrapping in a towel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 02:45 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
There is a way to 'wrap the hair up' after a shower, that uses tshirts instead. It's called hair plopping. It's what I do, except I use a towel instead.

It's easier on the hair, because it doesn't pull it at the roots, like the usual way of wrapping in a towel.
Tallysmom was talking about during the shower ... lathering hair and piling it on top of your head.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:01 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Ah. Sorry.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:16 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post

Glad I'm not the only one Sometimes I think I have a headache, nope just need to wash my hair
Me too.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:35 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Nope. Years ago, I tried to gradually taper off shampooing every day; I started going every other day, then every third day, and so one. It was awful. My scalp just felt nasty, even after a few months of tapering off, and my hair looked terrible; dull and limp. I went back to washing every day, and it is always shiny and healthy looking.

FWIW, I asked my dermatologist about it and he said that shampooing has very little effect on sebum production; it is mainly due to hormones and hereditary.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:02 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,875 times
Some people can get away without doing it, others can't. Just something else for people to evangelize over. There's no truth to the "scalps produce oil because you wash it away" thing. If that were true, our hands would all be oily as hell because we wash them more than any other body part.

I also wash my dogs when they start to smell or get gross; they smell sometimes because they are dogs, not because they occasionally get washed. how silly.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:14 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Just something else for people to evangelize over.
It's a topic critical for the overall good of society. </sarcasm>

Old 03-24-2018, 01:10 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I can go 2 days tops. My adult son didn't shower today and looks like crap. Big, hairy guys just can't get away with it.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:57 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Ha! Same with dogs The more you wash a dog, the more smelly he gets - because his body needs to replace those washed away oils. That's why those (mostly little) dogs who get a bath every week smell more than a big dog - they are overwashed.

Funny you should say that because when I first rescued my Catahoula mix she was a bit smelly but I didn't have a way to give her a bath at my house so I had her scheduled for a bath at the local PetSmart. Then I had to walk her in the rain one day. It wasn't pouring but a good drizzle enough so that she was soaked by the time we got home. I dried her off and now she has no odor.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:59 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
How long is your hair? I can tell you that with shoulder length hair or longer, no shampoo and towel rubbing would not be a good look.
That's what I was thinking. My mid back curly hair would be a matted mess if I tried "lot's of towel rubbing". Just wrapping it up for a while after washing and conditioning still requires a good 5 to 10 minutes to detangle after unwrapping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty