Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Safety razor vs cartridge razor: which is better?
I only used one (or none) of them, and so I can't compare 3 10.34%
Safety razor (man) 13 44.83%
Cartridge razor (man) 10 34.48%
Safety razor (woman) 2 6.90%
Cartridge razor (woman) 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 03:29 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Might take a couple of blood transfusions to get through the learning process though.
It's not really that hard to figure out how not to cut yourself with a standard double edge razor. Remember, from the early 1900s through the 1940s, 99% of men who shaved did so with a standard double edge razor, and even after electric shavers were introduced it still was probably more than 50%. That's a lot of guys shaving every morning.

I think it's funny how skills our parents and grandparents had, that they thought were very basic unremarkable things to do, have now been elevated to some arcane skills that only the most gifted can master after extensive practice. Another example is all the voodoo around using cast iron skillets, which now is something for only the most skilled and experienced - never mind that everyone's grandmother used a cast iron skillet and never even thought about it.

My extensive training in using a double edge razor came late one August when my stepfather said "you better start shaving before the school year starts", handed me his old razor and a package of blades, and a can of shaving cream, and said "be careful when you take the blades out" and "make sure to always move the blade perpendicular to the edge - don't let it move parallel to the edge or you'll cut yourself". That. Was. It.

Just not that tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 06:12 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
There is a forum that is all about shaving, razors and such that will educate those who are interested to learn all about this topic.

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/

IMO the best shave for men (ladies should stick with the newer plastic handled razors) is either a straight razor or an old fashioned Double Edge razor. Blades can be found in abundance on line either at Amazon or other smaller online sellers. There's a real following to support the DE and straight razor method or shaving.

I switch from a Norelco to a DE razor at 65 yrs. old because my electric razor just wasn't cutting my beard correctly even tho it was a new razor. Glad I did. Now I shave once a week ,on Sunday, and enjoy a week free of shaving.

One point to share......A good shave means that you have matched the blade and the DE razor with your beard type. Since blades are hard to find in a variety of brands suggest that online is your only hope. This site allow you to choose from a wide selection to find that perfect blade for your shaving needs. Price is per blade at pennies each.

Buy Individual Razor Blades for Double Edge, Single Edge and Shavettes

I beg your pardon, uh sir. You didn't just presume to tell women which shaving implement to use, did you?

That's hilarious, and I'll remind you that, as I previously posted, THIS little girl uses the same DE safety razor I used s a teen, and which a generation of women used without difficulty. Not all women care to go the plastic crapulence handle/expensive blades/disposable everything route. How's this: You use what you want, and don't tell us women what we should use.

But thanks for the laugh.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:08 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I beg your pardon, uh sir. You didn't just presume to tell women which shaving implement to use, did you?

That's hilarious, and I'll remind you that, as I previously posted, THIS little girl uses the same DE safety razor I used s a teen, and which a generation of women used without difficulty. Not all women care to go the plastic crapulence handle/expensive blades/disposable everything route. How's this: You use what you want, and don't tell us women what we should use.

But thanks for the laugh.
Once you get over yourself you might understand ,try anyway you'll benefit, that my comment was to reflect the constant blood letting women have to put ups with classic double edge blades. Women really are much softer skinned than men..............

My wife of 52 years now enjoys her bath more since she no longer has to stop blood streaming down her legs etc. since she switched to a disposable razor.

Last edited by Retired in Illinois; 04-15-2018 at 07:36 PM..

Old 04-15-2018, 07:32 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
If you can still buy something, has it been "forced off the market"?
Find a quality razor or blades locally today. If you can find a DE razor or blades they are imported of unknown quality.

I agree that the companies making razors prefer to sell the multi blade cartridge type, for exactly the reason you say. Since it's the same people making both, it ends up being their decision which products to make.
Switching to one product line is way more profitable than supporting an older product that doesn't generate that much repeat sales.

But if the multiblade cartridge versions hadn't offered some kind of advantage when they first came out (in what, the mid 70s, if memory serves?) then they would have failed in the market.
Only if the makers stopped making the existing well proven vintage products could disposables remained on store shelves.

I'm basically agreeing with you but I think for the average Joe (I don't know about the average Jane) the multiblade cartridge gives you a reasonable enough shave with less chance of nicking yourself, though with a considerable cost penalty.
Multiblade razors only offer the appearance of convenience but at a huge yearly cost

Today the rest of the world uses , in large measure, classic Double Edge razors and blades due to the cost of disposables.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:53 AM

774 posts, read 1,778,477 times
I figured out what my problem was: the WEISHI razor is a butterfly type, and I wasn't tightening it fully. That tightening changes the geometry of the blade significantly: it bends the blade and makes it stick out much less.

I also found a table that compares the sizes of the blades. Apparently ASTRAs are some of the biggest ones, and AMERICAN PERSONNAs are some of the smallest.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:32 AM

10,738 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
I figured out what my problem was: the WEISHI razor is a butterfly type, and I wasn't tightening it fully. That tightening changes the geometry of the blade significantly: it bends the blade and makes it stick out much less.

I also found a table that compares the sizes of the blades. Apparently ASTRAs are some of the biggest ones, and AMERICAN PERSONNAs are some of the smallest.
I don't like the butterfly styles. Look at a Merkur two piece razor.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Seeing as how I've been shaving for 50 years I think I do know what "close shave" means. You have done nothing but ***** and moan in this thread and I merely pointed out that if you're trying to get to the follicle then you're digging into your face which then causes the other problems.

If you want your face to be smooth as a baby's ass use a depilatory cream.

Damned metrosexuals.
So your excuse for not understanding what a "close shave" means is that you are senile, not that you are foreign?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/51598922-post41.html

(I'm adding you to the "ignore" list. You'll be the first one on mine)

Old 04-19-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:

Even with the extra tightening, I noticed a fundamental difference between my HYDRO5 and WEISHI:

WEISHI's blades stick out, while HYDRO5's don't.

For example, if I try to "shave" a wooden pencil (perfectly flat along its largest dimension), HYDRO5 just slides on it, while WEISHI bites into it.

Is this how safety razors supposed to be?

Last edited by max.b; 04-19-2018 at 04:29 AM..

Old 04-19-2018, 06:34 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
Even with the extra tightening, I noticed a fundamental difference between my HYDRO5 and WEISHI:

WEISHI's blades stick out, while HYDRO5's don't.

For example, if I try to "shave" a wooden pencil (perfectly flat along its largest dimension), HYDRO5 just slides on it, while WEISHI bites into it.

Is this how safety razors supposed to be?
Well, I dunno, I usually buy either the Gillette ones, or Wilkinson, which I think are the two brands my local grocery store carries. It seems like they all stick out about the same amount, though I haven't measured.

Maybe you should just try some ordinary brands, and maybe a plain old three piece razor. Honestly I have never noticed any significant difference between different blades on my old three piece razor (that I have been using since something like 1976). The difference between a new blade and a used one is greater than the difference from one to the next, in my experience.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:43 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Ladies disposable razors, CVS brand which is equivalent to Venus or Schick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty