U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 01:50 PM

8,139 posts, read 7,463,231 times

Advertisements

Do not ever put your underwear in the dryer.

It destroys them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 01:51 PM

13,227 posts, read 11,754,597 times
Iíve never had any underwear fall apart after a few weeks. After a few years maybe, but mine generally stay intact.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:24 PM

13,337 posts, read 7,115,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
VS underwear quality has gone downhill so far so fast.

I have pairs from 10 years ago that are in better shape than some I bought 3 years ago. I no longer buy them because the quality is horrible. Not worth it. They are so thin and fall apart.
Victoria Secret sells to its clientele of teenagers/college girls - stuff doesn't need to last more than a season before they tire of it and are looking for something new.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:31 PM

6,688 posts, read 2,608,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have noticed lately that the ladies panties I buy literally fall apart very quickly. I usually buy my undies at stores like Walmart, and I know that their stuff is cheap. But even undies that I buy at other stores, even VS or Soma, literally self-destruct in a matter of weeks.

I am not unusually hard on my knickers. I don't yank them off in fits of passion. I wash them separately in a "lingerie" bag in my washing machine on the "gentle or delicate" cycle. I try to take care of them, but within a matter of a few weeks, they are usually falling apart. Seams coming out, elastic tearing away, etc.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Can you suggest a better way to buy undies? Please, I don't want to spend $20 for a pair. But I am willing to spend a reasonable amount.
Don't buy underwear from Walmart. They do have the cheapest socks and undies, piece for piece, but the quality is not the same.

I used to buy new socks and underwear for a charity clothing center, and I bought a LOT of underwear, and you can see in the bin which ones come from Walmart. They look like they'd last max 3 washings.

And these were Hanes and Fruit of the Loom.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:07 PM

34,526 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Really, I don’t get it. I have underwear that is 10+ years old. I buy brands like Jockey and Hanes, as well as others, and they all go in the dryer. Maybe you need a bigger quantity, so a pair gets rotated less often.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:27 PM

5,808 posts, read 3,295,904 times
The dryer is what destroys the elastic I think. Seams ripping is sometimes because they're too small, darn! Also, you get what you pay for.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:47 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 3 days ago)

14,418 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
So they can sell more. My gripe is with women's socks.. good for about 2 wearings.
My floor mostly misses the flow of heat when its cold, and warm socks are important. I like the fuzzy type, but have about three of them left, so went sock shopping on Amazon.

I found some soft, thick but not too thick wool blend socks which really do keep the toes warm but fit just right. Mostly I wear boots, but they fit perfect for that. Usually I buy socks from Walmart, but they fall apart and really don't keep the feet warm. I'm very pleased with these new ones.

I even found the fluffy ones which go over your whole foot which are less common than the smaller ones. I like to wear those without shoes if I'm not doing a lot of walking. The wool ones cost a bit more than normal, but I still have wool socks I brought with me when I moved ten years ago. The best pair has only one, but I lost its mate.

A lot of stuff can be gotten from Walmart, and will 'live' for a few months but don't plan on it lasting too long. But that is figured into the price as they know you'll have to replace it a lot sooner than better quality stuff.

You can find the same stuff on Amazon too, and its not likely to last any longer, but its the cheapest stuff. But they often have things which are higher quality and will not die in a month for very reasonable cost, and I think that's the advantage that Amazon has. They don't need cheap stuff piled on the shelves to draw in the customers. It's very interesting that the better stuff Walmart carries is often NOT in the store but to be found online, the prices higher but still reasonable, competing with Amazon over walk in traffic.

The one thing which it doesn't seem to matter is their food. I order my groceries sitting in the living room. I was really surprised at how many people have switched to that but aside from perishables, I just edit the last months list and hit order and get a resupply of large boxes in a few days.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:59 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,624,127 times
Quote:
I have noticed lately that the ladies panties I buy literally fall apart very quickly. I usually buy my undies at stores like Walmart, and I know that their stuff is cheap. But even undies that I buy at other stores, even VS or Soma, literally self-destruct in a matter of weeks.

I am not unusually hard on my knickers. I don't yank them off in fits of passion. I wash them separately in a "lingerie" bag in my washing machine on the "gentle or delicate" cycle. I try to take care of them, but within a matter of a few weeks, they are usually falling apart. Seams coming out, elastic tearing away, etc.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Can you suggest a better way to buy undies? Please, I don't want to spend $20 for a pair. But I am willing to spend a reasonable amount.
Your description of the problem sounds like you may be buying them too small.

Unless you are buying those hideous covered in lace lingerie style trashy Valentine's Day specials, they really shouldn't do that.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Status: "Fighting off mauraders, again..." (set 9 days ago)

1,390 posts, read 432,715 times
Quote:
I wash them separately in a "lingerie" bag in my washing machine on the "gentle or delicate" cycle. I try to take care of them, but within a matter of a few weeks, they are usually falling apart. Seams coming out, elastic tearing away, etc.

Yes, I notice most things are flimsily made today, especially t-shirts, which don't seem to last long for me. In fact, as an aside, I buy men's small jeans for that reason... they're made twice as strong as women's. I wish I could wear men's shirts, but for most women, they're far too boxy.

Lingerie does last for me, however. I hot water wash all lingerie by hand with shampoo/Woolite/any kind of liquid soap & final rinse in cool water with hair conditioner in it... every 4th time, I put them through a delicate warm water wash in mesh bags & I fold lingerie tightly into several mesh bags... no jostling around in the machine. Maybe the conditioner makes a difference, in that, it softens the fabric?

Mine last forever & I don't wear tattered clothing. Buying from better stores on clearance is optimal... Saks, Neiman's & Nordstrom's are good & pieces can be found for under $5... which is about my limit/pair. I second TJ Maxx & Marshall's, too... although I find it's more like a needle in a haystack on finding anything other than the skimpiest of bikinis. Online I like la Senza for underpants... not thrilled with their bras... they're the VS of Canada. They have a lot of skimpy underpants, but have very comfy boyshorts. Maybe fit makes a difference, too. I like either boyshorts or Brazilian cut, which is in-between a thong & briefs... I don't want anything stuffed up my nether regions all day, nor do I want to feel uncomfortable wearing grandma's bloomers.

Lastly, fabric surely makes a difference. I cannot stand the feel of cotton or satin (which has no give), so mine are a mix of nylons & sometimes spandex. I've been on the road traveling & have had to buy those packs of nylon WalMart/Target undies, because it was convenient & some of them were torn away from the elastic right out of the pkg, especially WM. I have some of those left over & they do get stretched out very easily & I'm not overweight.

The reason I say fit makes a difference, is for me, boyshorts, which come down further, don't last as long as Brazilian cut... maybe as there's more material being stretched? The latter rides up a bit, but not uncomfortably so... I've never been one who could wear a thong... it feels like punishment. And, bikinis are comfy, but I dislike the VPL.

Hope this helps. Maybe handwash with shampoo/conditioner? I'd say do it with 1-2 pairs to compare lifespan to the ones in the mesh laundry bags. Good luck!

Old 04-18-2018, 07:21 PM

2,797 posts, read 2,511,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSGood View Post
Because we guys like'em that way?!?

ROFLMAO

The old tear away NFL jerseys are now worn by the cheerleaders...

Actually, whatever a woman feels comfortable in is fine with me. Have you ever been with a woman who is having some undergarment comfort issues? Your ability to approach the area will be restricted by her trying to get comfortably settled and any pleas to simply remove the problem for her will most often be met with derision and considered emphatically NOT humorous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty