U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2018, 12:36 AM

1,563 posts, read 1,510,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have noticed lately that the ladies panties I buy literally fall apart very quickly. I usually buy my undies at stores like Walmart, and I know that their stuff is cheap. But even undies that I buy at other stores, even VS or Soma, literally self-destruct in a matter of weeks.

I am not unusually hard on my knickers. I don't yank them off in fits of passion. I wash them separately in a "lingerie" bag in my washing machine on the "gentle or delicate" cycle. I try to take care of them, but within a matter of a few weeks, they are usually falling apart. Seams coming out, elastic tearing away, etc.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Can you suggest a better way to buy undies? Please, I don't want to spend $20 for a pair. But I am willing to spend a reasonable amount.
That's strange. I only buy ones made of cotton (I think Hanes? but don't quote me on that), and I get them from either Kohls or Target. Some of them I've had for upwards of 8 to 10 years (a few of them from 10 years ago don't look brand-new, but they're functional; I also wash them with the darks on the regular cycle and throw them in the dryer, low heat). I only buy the plain stuff with no frills. Once when I was desperate I did get some with this annoying lace lining (from target) and on some the lining did fall apart in maybe like 6 months or so? It wasn't too, too long when I had them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Maybe since I wear and wash each pair less (because I have so many) they last longer?
I do only wash mine generally once every 2 weeks (because I have so many too! No, it's because I change them maybe once, twice a week, ya know).

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
So they can sell more. My gripe is with women's socks.. good for about 2 wearings.
Really?? My favorite socks I keep till they get holes in them and some I've had for at least 5 years. I do a lot of walking at work too so they do get worn. I've had a pair of women's hiking socks that I kept for... I believe it was 5 years (those I remember better because I bought them with a pair of hiking boots in ~2011 and my husband got me new hiking socks in 2016). Those also got worn down to holes in the bottom; those were the ones I wore when I hiked 12 miles (the longest for me so far). Got a ton of mileage out of them! (Those I got at Dick's, the smart wool kind; don't know the brand. I don't think that was the brand, just the kind of material).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I think I threw away a pair a few days ago that was from the early 2000s.
(That was about underwear I quoted). Same here. A couple years ago I finally went through my underwear collection and threw out all the underwear that was really getting worn that I had from 2001/2002. I finally just bought about 8 pair from Kohls that looked a lot like those ones I just threw out (the ones from early 2000s I bought from Express). They're cotton material (I think Hanes brand), very simple came in packs of 4. We'll see how long they last! So far I had them for about 2 months.

It's so difficult for me to find underwear I like. I don't like white or patterned underwear, just solid black for me. Yet most of the black underwear I find is not made of cotton! : ( [And I really don't get how people can wear that silky or whatever it is material. Ugh, can't stand that stuff! (and I did try it because I was like, well I guess that's all there is. Couldn't get comfortable at all; really was annoying). Cotton all around for me!!!] Maybe I should stock up on this kind I painstakingly found at Kohls.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 04-20-2018 at 01:07 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 02:50 AM

7,093 posts, read 2,207,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I also have some old pairs. They seem a lot more durable than the newer pairs. Stitching is terrible these days.
Men's underwear doesn't hold up nearly as well as it used to, either. It's just a general lowering of production values, that affects many kinds of products.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:32 AM

6,219 posts, read 7,398,023 times
I buy nylon classic cut white Fruit of the Loom panties (yes, at Walmart or K-Mart) Six pair in a package for somewhere around $11.

I wash them in the washer with neutral color (gray, beige, pastel) garments so no color transfer. I dry them in the dryer along with the rest of the load.

I currently have about 30 pair. Every once in a while, I weed out a few of the older ones but for the most part, even they are still wearable.

Of course, I haven't reached the stage of mental decline where I'm wearing my undies outside of my clothes so I'm not looking for knock-'em-dead knickers.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:52 AM

1,040 posts, read 542,232 times
Default why is women's underwear so flimsy?

Maybe it's about the fabric. Some are meant to last. Some - at times labeled "delicate" - have other purposes. Want strong and long lasting? Cotton might work.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:07 AM
exm

1,620 posts, read 508,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Men's underwear doesn't hold up nearly as well as it used to, either. It's just a general lowering of production values, that affects many kinds of products.
Mod cut.

To your point: I agree with you. Usually I use Hanes and I am estimating that they last app 25-30 wash cycles.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-21-2018 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:54 AM

2,317 posts, read 2,099,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post

Really?? My favorite socks I keep till they get holes in them and some I've had for at least 5 years. I do a lot of walking at work too so they do get worn. I've had a pair of women's hiking socks that I kept for... I believe it was 5 years (those I remember better because I bought them with a pair of hiking boots in ~2011 and my husband got me new hiking socks in 2016). Those also got worn down to holes in the bottom; those were the ones I wore when I hiked 12 miles (the longest for me so far). Got a ton of mileage out of them! (Those I got at Dick's, the smart wool kind; don't know the brand. I don't think that was the brand, just the kind of material).
Sorry.. should have clarified. Women's dress socks. The thinner type.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:25 AM

82 posts, read 33,734 times
I know they make high performance underwear that is meant to last longer for people who are always on the move, doing activities, etc! They seem to last longer than normal underwear!

Old 04-20-2018, 01:58 PM

118 posts, read 125,058 times
Default Well for one, you're buying at Walmart!

"Why is women's underwear so flimsy?" PROFIT.

You said you shopped at Walmart, well there's your answer right there. Walmart is all about SALES not about quality. I made the mistake of buying a bra there once- Never Again!! Not only was it crappily constructed, but it actually made my decolletage look weirdly shaped- I am a DD, but their bra was padded(??Why??) yet it also flattened my boobs, and gave me "back boobs" & I don't have any back boob. The walmart bra kept creeping up my chest, oh it was like a practical joke. I told my husband if I were an engineer, and someone commissioned me to construct "World's Worst Bra" that managed to not only do what it is supposed TO do (support the breasts) - but also make the wearer ugly, Walmart's bra would be my result. NOW I see why the shoppers there all look as if they have odd shaped bodies- they buy their undergarments from Walmart!

You can buy a bra for SAME price as Walmart's "low prices" by getting Victoria's Secret products on sale. I have two bras from Victoria's Secret, that literally are 14 YEARS old- and I put them in the washer! Only one has the wire starting to poke it's way through, but other than that they are fine.

I find NO bargains at walmart in their garments- you can get cheaper, better quality even at Nordstrom's sales and clearance sections.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:25 PM

272 posts, read 123,878 times
Speaking of underwear, would any woman under 60 wear these evil things?

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-17...=White&prdPV=7
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-17...=White&prdPV=5

Yikes

Old 04-20-2018, 04:15 PM

275 posts, read 82,412 times
Jockey brand also falls apart. Maybe not in 2 weeks but I've had issues with the fabric coming apart and exposing the elastic. I actually get better performance from Fruit of the Loom. Don't like Hanes. Duluth Trading is good for lightweight, wicking underwear. I take it when I travel because it can be hand washed and air dried. It's too pricey to buy for everyday use though. $18 for one pair of undies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty