Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 04:21 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Picky, picky! I think she meant that the skin doesn't "age", or show the effects of aging, as much as other skin types. I guess what it means is, that skin with melanin in it doesn't show sun damage. People with no melanin need to avoid the sun as much as possible, in order to achieve the same youthful effect.
No that is not what she meant. She has a habit of this type of racial generalization. And if so she needs to be better at expressing what she means because that take on it was only and always after she is taken to task on her ignorant statments. Furthermore, what you said is not even true. Skin with melanin shows sun damage. There are many factors that cause aging in general and in skin - melanin does not protect against all of them. Why are people so ignorant in this day and age of easy information yet pontificate as if they are the ****-niz of knowledge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 05:47 PM

617 posts, read 1,201,803 times
Calorie restriction has been shown to slow aging. I suppose gastroparesis would cause calorie restriction to a high degree.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:47 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
I think she is really pretty but I thought she looked to be in her early 30s. She is wearing an awful lot of makeup and she should consider toning down the dyed blond hair. It is a little disturbing that she takes pride in being mistaken for her son's girlfriend (probably because she hanging all over him) rather than his sister or a female contemporary. That being said, there a lot of youthful looking, attractive women in their 40s in all races so she is not as special she imagines.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
No that is not what she meant. She has a habit of this type of racial generalization. And if so she needs to be better at expressing what she means because that take on it was only and always after she is taken to task on her ignorant statments. Furthermore, what you said is not even true. Skin with melanin shows sun damage. There are many factors that cause aging in general and in skin - melanin does not protect against all of them. Why are people so ignorant in this day and age of easy information yet pontificate as if they are the ****-niz of knowledge?
What are you getting so bent out of shape about? No one is talking about the molecular signs of aging besides you. No one is advocating that brown peolle do not need sunscreen or to protect themselves. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that some ethnic groups tend to look younger longer than others and it is no surprise when you see someone who is perceived to be a little younger. It’s not news, plenty of people can find a friend, neighbor, colleague, churchmate, former classmate or what have you in the same boat.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:53 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
A 41-year-old mother has revealed how she is often mistaken for her son's girlfriend

The reason she is mistaken for her son's girlfriend is because she's posing with him as if she WERE his girlfriend.

And all I see is a ton of make-up. Not a fresh-faced young person.

Why so many crazy people these days?
instagram, facebook, snapchat... is really messing with people's minds.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:57 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I just read the article. She wants to look 30 when she's 80?

She's the poster child (pun intended) for shallow.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:18 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What are you getting so bent out of shape about? No one is talking about the molecular signs of aging besides you. No one is advocating that brown peolle do not need sunscreen or to protect themselves. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that some ethnic groups tend to look younger longer than others and it is no surprise when you see someone who is perceived to be a little younger. It’s not news, plenty of people can find a friend, neighbor, colleague, churchmate, former classmate or what have you in the same boat.
Blah, Blah, Blah!

Again, You said brown people do not age as fast as white people... It's just facts.

Stop your backpedaling and admit you were wrong or start to actually defend this nonsense - with facts.

Don't get mad at me for correcting you and not putting up with your gymnastics.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:53 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
I was occasionally mistaken for my oldest son's "contemporary" when I was that age. It gave me a severe case of the creeps!!! I didn't dress like a teen or layer on the makeup, as I wanted to be seen as a mom, and I certainly felt like a mom. At one point I was pregnant at 43 and in a store with my son, and got some disturbing questions from a staff member who had often seen us shopping together. She just wanted reassurance that I was his mother, for some reason. It was weird.

Now that I'm in my early sixties and a grandma as well, I don't look like a teenager anymore. That's perfectly OK with me
My wife and I are a same sex couple who look very similar to one another save a substantial age gap (I'm 41, she's 54). The age difference bothered her a lot at first and strangers sometimes unintentionally rubbed salt into the wound when they referred to her as "my mother."

After this comment occurred a sufficient number of times, she started going to the hairdresser regularly to get her very grey hair dyed back to its natural black. After that she became my sister

Old 04-26-2018, 06:59 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I think it's funny how she said she rarely looks in a mirror. It must take her quite a while to put on all that heavy make-up.

My mom and I were shopping yesterday and when I called her mom, the lady helping us was shocked; she thought we were sisters. I'm 63, my mother is 82. I don't know if she looks really great for her age or I look bad for mine. :-)

Old 04-26-2018, 08:14 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
LOL, I told you, they are mad, jealous, and bent out of shape that most people of color typically age better than they do appearance wise, whether they wear make up or take pictures with their teenage children or not...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty