Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 11:20 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlight22 View Post
Why do you do this? Is it because you will run into someone you know?

I guess the point of this thread is that I want to know if people care about how they are perceived by others.
My question to you is why do you consider no make up and sweats to be looking like a slob instead of just a casual, relaxed, or 'natural' look ? To me slob means stains, holes, dirty or unkempt? Surely that isn't how you go around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 11:47 AM

93 posts, read 63,912 times
Quote:

I guess the point of this thread is that I want to know if people care about how they are perceived by others.
Just a personal sense of pride and decorum I guess. It is not much so much how I think others will perceive me. I suppose I've just conditioned myself to never leave the house without looking my best for that day.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:04 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:

It's interesting that you think that looking presentable is something to do only for someone else's benefit, not your own. It's possible to not only be casual and comfortable, but to also think that you look nice and like yourself when you see your reflection in a mirror or a window.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:22 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Hmm, true! I agree. Thank you for sharing your opinion. I really appreciate it.

And my hair was bleached six times in a year due to my obsession with platinum locks. It's currently recovering. If not straightened it looks damaged. That's what I meant.
Hair take time to grow out, but it's only a temporary phase. But it sounds like your hair is a little higher-maintenance than average, anyway... I see what you mean.

It sounds like you've got used to not bothering with your appearance, because your job shelters you from the public eye. Though I'm sure you have co-workers....?

I think it's possible to look put-together, and be comfortable at the same time. I still suspect you may be exaggerating about the "slob" part of it, unless you wear old worn-out or wrinkled clothes to work or to the store. I can see how straightening your hair every day could be a hassle. I think you can be forgiven for giving yourself "time out" from that.

Without knowing how extreme your choices are, or aren't, it's hard to evaluate what you're doing. But I think probably most people care to some extent how others perceive them. Not everyone bothers to look nice to go grocery shopping, but many at least tidy up before going out, some single women put on makeup, and try to look nice, but that's because they're single and want to look attractive at all times.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:16 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
The casual look is fine.

By fifth ave standards I look like a pauper.....it's a matter of environment.

Hygiene and clean clothes. That's it.

Your smile and health are going to impress the public. That's your main attire ( besides keeping clothes on )

Old 04-24-2018, 02:34 PM

171 posts, read 145,921 times
I look real regular too when I dont feel like applying effort, but I dont have a man, so I try to look semi decent when I go out, but if im going to walmart and back home ...I look like very comfy in sweats, hair not done, no make up maybe even a eyebooger or two

Old 04-24-2018, 02:47 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
I only wear makeup and nice clothes when I am with my boyfriend. Otherwise I wear sweatpants and sneakers and sweaters and no makeup. I go around with my hair looking terrible because I really don't care (don't worry I shower).

What do you think about this? Should I look nice everywhere I go?
I don't see why you should have to.

The question is; Do you feel comfortable in yourself? If so, and you're happy, then it seems okay.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Does your BF know that you don't put forth effort with your appearance when he's not around?

"Dear CD,
When we first started dating, she made an effort with her appearance. Now she can't be bothered to run a brush through her hair.
Signed,
BF"

My point is, don't pretend to be something you're not when you're with your BF. It's not fair to either of you.
Just what I was thinking.

And habits formed when young can be hard to break later. Why aren’t you worth good grooming? And, how would you feel about your BF looking like a slob? Perhaps you should answer those questions for some self awareness.

But there is no law that says you have to well grooned all the time.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:16 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,337 times
As long as it suits you and what makes you comfortable. Do you feel comfortable to dress all the time like when you were with bf?

Old 04-24-2018, 04:58 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Does your BF know that you don't put forth effort with your appearance when he's not around?

"Dear CD,
When we first started dating, she made an effort with her appearance. Now she can't be bothered to run a brush through her hair.
Signed,
BF"

My point is, don't pretend to be something you're not when you're with your BF. It's not fair to either of you.

What's happens if you were to get married? Would you try to look nice everyday then or just be a slob everyday??

I don't get all glam everyday, but most days I do try to look half way decent. It's really easy to let yourself go especially after your married and have kids! When I had my first child I started to slack, wearing leggings and t-shirts most days, no make-up, hair up in a pony tail, etc. Then I made an effort to look a little bit nicer everyday and it also made me feel better. I'm not saying to look red carpet ready, but put on jeans and a decent top instead of sweats and a t-shirt and not have a pony tail every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty