U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 10:49 AM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
779 posts, read 224,591 times

Advertisements

My 12-year old Teva Katavi sandals have finally croaked, conveniently in time for a camping trip at the river next month, and am in need of some new ones. I have it down to two types. I've been eyeballing a pair of Teva "Terra Fi" IVs for a couple months but lately Chaco Z1s have come to light.

Anybody prefer or love/hate one over the other? Reliability/durability/comfort etc? This isn't a thread about style. (Personally prefer the Katavi and Terra Fi series but that's beside the point.) Since I've never had Chacos before, if you were presented with the strict choice of the Teva over Chaco which one would you suggest based on only those merits?

Please, if you want to post "just wear whatever you like"-type replies here, don't. No sandal hooliganism either, I realise I'm entering a point of sectarianism (if the Nike vs. Adidas thing or Chucks vs. Flyers vs. Keds threefer is any indication) but I'd rather not have this turn into a big Teva United FC vs. Chaco City bovver.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 02:48 PM

16,929 posts, read 19,672,707 times
Actually to be honest neither. They aren't my things.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:51 PM

623 posts, read 796,304 times
I went on a rafting trip in the Grand Canyon, and it's true that the guides there favor Chacos, though they didn't sneer at my Tevas. But Chacos are significantly more expensive than Tevas, and are rarely discounted. I have to say that I don't get 14 years of use out of a pair of Tevas, but then I wear the same pair every day the temperature's above 60. When they get worn down, I just get a new pair.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:58 PM

172 posts, read 93,799 times
I replaced Tevas with Chacos years ago. Wore them to death hiking, kayaking, walking the dog, running errands, etc and they held up forever..until the soles started to crack after 10 yrs. Just bought a new pair.

Chacos fit is adjustable but without Velcro, which I hate. It collects dirt, stays wet, and makes the straps so much thicker. Chaco straps are thin and I love the Z2 (toe loop) option as it feels really secure on my feet.

The only thing I liked better about Tevas was the footbed. The “classic” Chaco bed is hard and can make your foot sore if you’re putting miles on them. But now they have a “cloud” version with a more cushioned footbed. Makes my new pair perfect.

So no comparison...Chaco's all the way!

Old 05-05-2018, 05:54 AM

9,100 posts, read 3,923,269 times
I've never heard of either brand so I googled the images. The Chaco's are a little more fashionable in my opinion but I'm not sure what you are looking for: more comfort or more attractive?

Old 05-06-2018, 05:18 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,292,361 times
I like Chacos for hiking and other outdoor activities. Like MR, I prefer the toe loop for a secure fit as well as the adjustable straps. Mine have lasted for a long time.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:50 AM

10,089 posts, read 10,606,893 times
I wore Tevas for many years, but I don't have any right now. I've never worn Chacos, but looking at the design I'd be concerned about the way the straps connect to the sole. The Teva design looks more comfortable.

Really, comfort is the most important consideration, and we can't tell you what feels good on your feet.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:47 PM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
779 posts, read 224,591 times
Thanks all.

I'll say right now I'm gravitating towards the Terra Fi IVs but I'll probably also get some Z1s to try them out. For the most part it looks like those who have or have had Chacos seem to swear by them so we'll see. Common complaints I've seen are them being hard and/or heavy. That I can deal with since I've worn heavy and rigid boots for most of my life so I'm pretty used to it.

The toe loop on the Z2 is kind of a deal breaker for me, for that model. The lateral tension that could become exerted on my right great toe could cause it to dislocate, effectively disabling me for several days. Not fun.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:43 AM

172 posts, read 93,799 times
I've always worn the toe version and never had a problem with it. I am a distance runner and very active in them and never had an issue. My husband had the other version and they also stay on fine. As I noted the "cloud" footbed addresses the issue of hard and they seem lighter too.

For those who never tried them, the strap "connection" is not a problem at all. Its one continuous loop through the sole. Chaco will replace damages straps too. Never happened to my but did ot a friend.

And they do go on sale...check out this link from REI: https://www.rei.com/product/897158/c...d-sandals-mens

If you are OK with velcro then Tevas are a good option. But we are big kayakers and on the water a lot. Chacos dry so much faster and don't get all clogged up with plants and dirt like my Tevas did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty