Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2018, 03:58 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,315,369 times

Advertisements

It's the third sunday of May so Happy Mother's Day to all moms on CD.
My DD said to me.....She went for her passport Visa to the American embassy travelling by train and there was this stylish colorful bohemian older lady sitting opposite her dressed like the ladies from the blog Advanced Style which features very fashionable older ladies.Older people here wear very neutral colors. So my DD she said mom if you had total freedom that would be your style. Now I paused for thought and think yes is true what my daughter says. So why do I not just do it?
I am just home I only get out of the house for medical appointments.
Why not dress up at home just for myself?
This summer I will be an empty nester when she is abroad for college/uni in the midwest. Have to keep busy with something...
From serious housewife simple look to colorful bohemian where to start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 06:36 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Color is an easy place to start. You can get basic pieces in nice bright colors and add on as you go. Some prints, some accessories, start mixing it up. Decide if you'd rather be comfortable or noticed. And don't forget your hair. I promised myself when I go all gray, I'm going to be blue and green, or leopard spotted, or something, at least once.

But I know just what you mean and I don't know if I can put this into words correctly, but there's a website called timorousbeasties.com and it has fabric and furniture and it's who I think I am inside, stylistically. I have no clue how to dress like it and might not if I could, but it draws me in, all the wild colors and ridiculous combinations. I just think yes, I want the world to look at me and see that. Go to the site and do "the room" and you'll see what I mean.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:32 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
Nerys, thank you so much for that link ... love it & sharing it with my girlfriends!

Old 05-26-2018, 06:40 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Don't adopt a "look." Go shopping with an open mind and see what appeals to you.

And why not start going out a little more? No one should stew at home forever, except for actor outings.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Start with outrageous glasses, and some large, colorful jewelry.

Then, go from there, piece by piece.

Not every piece you wear has to be bold. You can wear a bold top with jeans, for instance. You can put a colorful shawl over anything.

In other wirds, take baby steps first.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:01 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
The site you suggested is pretty flamboyant for my tastes but I like the bohemian look and have many pieces that lend themselves to that style. I get a lot of good ideas for that look from Zulily and New Chic.

Here's a dress that would lend itself to many occasions, seasons and accessories:

https://www.newchic.com/gracila-vint...rmmds=category

Recently I ordered this white tunic by Susan Betro and love it.:

https://www.zulily.com/p/white-embro...romSearch=true

The "Ethnic, Regional and Tribal" section of ebay jewelry always has some good buys and the right appeal for the look you are seeking.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/11312/i.htm...0&_nkw=jewelry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty