Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 01:07 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times

Advertisements

In general, contrast is nice - if you have a darker or olive complexion the lighter colors stand out more. If you are fair, then darker colors but it's not that big a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 01:20 PM

765 posts, read 473,105 times
aren't we beyond what colors are manly ???? look, dress as vibrantly as you feel comfortable...i love a guy with the confidence to wear WHATEVER!!!!!! LET 'em stare. who cares what others think????

if you are unsure, head for the nearest drug store magazine rack.... spring and fall GQ's..... gives you the latest trends and colors for that season and might give you some inspiration...... my guy pal wears a baseball cap that matches his shoes, pastel shorts, either solid or striped, a nice polo shirt, sometimes with a scarf loosely around his neck, and boat shoes of varying colors all summer long. it's classic, casual and down right natty with the scarf. when i'm out with him, i wear my own version of natty, usually tone on tone beiges, off whites, with a cotton wide brimmed hat i have in a dozen colors, or a baseball cap, have my own collection of scarves or just wonderful bright iris apfel plastic chunky jewelry for the great pop of color.
Fashion is so personal. i prefer my own style, very boho and eclectic, never designer labels and sometimes sewn by me. Just be you, enjoy your own style and the heck with what anyone else thinks!!!!!

Old 05-18-2018, 03:04 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,641,916 times
I'm more concerned with how it's worn than color. If the shorts are hanging unnaturally down off the lower part of his hips, that says something about the guy. Something not good.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:08 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
I am well into my 30s so I am not sure if that makes a difference but I will admit I have had the same thoughts. I tend to live in a more blue collar rust belt area (not in an urban area) so that has made an impression on me as well. For a long time, I thought that wearing flip flops or sandals would be considered feminine and would avoid them. Pretty much everything I wear is some shade of blue, black, or grayish color.
Yup, I think there was a shift for people under 35-ish. I remember this point of view for sure - I am about to leave my 30s. But many of my coworkers are younger and think differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I see. I'm a 33 year old male. But I do tend to spend more time in urban areas (I live in the urban part of Dallas currently). I like clothes and fashion but I don't dress to be accepted by other guys at all and I really couldn't care less what other guys think of the way I dress. If something thinks im gay or feminine because I like fashion, they're not really someone I care to spend time around anyway so it's no loss to me.

Here in Dallas (and other places I've lived) I find it very common to see 20s and 30s men from all walks of life wearing bright colors, fashionable clothing, etc. with no concern for being considered 'gay' (as if one's clothing is a direct indicator of that anyway). And no, im not necessarily talking waspy/fratty style either. I'm talking more street-style.
Yup! 100%. I am thinking of my colleague right now, played basketball in high school, grew up in urban LA, wears pastels all the time. Light pants. Skinny pants, capris, sock less Sperry’s. 90% of his clothing is slim fit. All the preppy trademarks have been remixed in an urban way. All the guys who grew up like him dress like that. The dark colors are the older people (over 35). He is late 20s.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:04 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
I am well into my 30s so I am not sure if that makes a difference but I will admit I have had the same thoughts. I tend to live in a more blue collar rust belt area (not in an urban area) so that has made an impression on me as well. For a long time, I thought that wearing flip flops or sandals would be considered feminine and would avoid them. Pretty much everything I wear is some shade of blue, black, or grayish color.
Blue collar, rust belt, and turquoise shorts don't go together in my opinion--unless you golf or play tennis. I like light colored shorts on men in the summer, but I'd stick with neutrals like sand or putty. It's easier to add color with shirts.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:06 PM

1,201 posts, read 802,797 times
Quote:
I'm talking turquoise, light green, yellow, light orange, salmon (ok that is a bit darker but not a color I am used to wearing).

I went shopping with a female friend lately and she was trying to convince me to buy shirts in those colors. I typically wear darker colors like navy, black, and the like.

She also suggested some white shorts as well as turquoise flat front type shorts. They were white shorts with light gray stripes and she said they look beachy and would look good on me. I typically wear khaki or olive cargo shorts.

I'm open to changing up my style a bit but wanted to get some more feedback from other ladies. What do you like to see on guys in the summer?
Unless near a body of water, on the golf course, or doing athletic events, I don’t like to see adult men in shorts at all!

Old 05-19-2018, 04:33 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Unless near a body of water, on the golf course, or doing athletic events, I don’t like to see adult men in shorts at all!
I don't really understand this way of thinking. In warm weather, short pants are comfortable and are perfectly appropriate in casual situations, IMO. I don't know why anybody sees something wrong with men (as opposed to women) wearing them.

Once the weather gets warm, I wear shorts most of the time when I am outside of work, generally from May through September.

I have some brighter color shorts -- red and bright blue, as well as white, grey and black shorts. Same with shirts -- I have some red, bright blue and green shirts, as well as white shirts and some darker ones like navy. I wear solid-colored polo shirts as well as short-sleeved button down shirts (usually with a pattern) in the warmer weather.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:22 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
My DH gets very dark tan so when he wears colors like orange, peach, light blue or any other light colors it looks great! He doesn’t wear too many light colored shorts. I think he had one light gray pair and one pair of khakis but other than that he wears jean shorts.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:25 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Why? I actually think it’s strange if it’s 80 or 90 outside and you see men (or women) in pants! I’m not saying they should be short shorts, but wearing pants in the summer heat is ridiculous! My DH wears longer shorts to his knees.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:48 AM

1,201 posts, read 802,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I don't really understand this way of thinking. In warm weather, short pants are comfortable and are perfectly appropriate in casual situations, IMO. I don't know why anybody sees something wrong with men (as opposed to women) wearing them.

Once the weather gets warm, I wear shorts most of the time when I am outside of work, generally from May through September.

I have some brighter color shorts -- red and bright blue, as well as white, grey and black shorts. Same with shirts -- I have some red, bright blue and green shirts, as well as white shirts and some darker ones like navy. I wear solid-colored polo shirts as well as short-sleeved button down shirts (usually with a pattern) in the warmer weather.
Just my opinion but I am certainly not an outlier with it. I personally do not find men wearing shorts in public attractive, unless of course it is an appropriate venue for it - like on a sailboat or sitting at a dockside restaurant in Nantucket. And there is no appropriate place for cargo shorts or those ridiculous looking baggy coulotte shorts that are between the knee and ankle - makes men look like a cartoon character. Nope, I like my men dressing like men, not little boys. But that’s just me (well, and thousands of others). I had a first date a few years ago that told me to pick a nice place for dinner. I got dressed appropriately and he showed up in shorts and sandals!!! I was mortified and needless to say, I had to quickly cancel our reservation and think of somewhere super casual. Total buzzkill.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0bc9cb0468abd

Oh, and he was also chewing gum! There was no chance for this guy, which was unfortunate because he was super cute! But he was old enough to know better.

Last edited by OttoR; 05-19-2018 at 09:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty