Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 10:03 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times

Advertisements

Oh yes! We live in Arizona and my husband wears the light-colored, knit, collared cotton shirts from about March through September. Preferably 100% cotton for comfort. Turquoise, light blue, light tan, pale green, pale yellow,lavender. Comfort counts when it is 110 degrees! In the fall, slightly darker colors are good. And khaki shorts/ cargo shorts, slacks, occasionally blue jeans, although they are hotter in this climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 12:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Just my opinion but I am certainly not an outlier with it. I personally do not find men wearing shorts in public attractive, unless of course it is an appropriate venue for it - like on a sailboat or sitting at a dockside restaurant in Nantucket. And there is no appropriate place for cargo shorts or those ridiculous looking baggy coulotte shorts that are between the knee and ankle - makes men look like a cartoon character. Nope, I like my men dressing like men, not little boys. But that’s just me (well, and thousands of others). I had a first date a few years ago that told me to pick a nice place for dinner. I got dressed appropriately and he showed up in shorts and sandals!!! I was mortified and needless to say, I had to quickly cancel our reservation and think of somewhere super casual. Total buzzkill.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0bc9cb0468abd

Oh, and he was also chewing gum! There was no chance for this guy, which was unfortunate because he was super cute! But he was old enough to know better.
You have very strong feelimgs about shorts.

I had a colleague that wore shorts daily year round. it became newsworthy if we saw him wearing pants.

I think shorts are fine for all sorts of casual ocassions for men, as long as they have good calves.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:23 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
I'm talking turquoise, light green, yellow, light orange, salmon (ok that is a bit darker but not a color I am used to wearing).

I went shopping with a female friend lately and she was trying to convince me to buy shirts in those colors. I typically wear darker colors like navy, black, and the like.

She also suggested some white shorts as well as turquoise flat front type shorts. They were white shorts with light gray stripes and she said they look beachy and would look good on me. I typically wear khaki or olive cargo shorts.

I'm open to changing up my style a bit but wanted to get some more feedback from other ladies. What do you like to see on guys in the summer?
Stick with the khaki/olive cargo shorts and dark tees.
And please ignore your female friend's "fashion" advice from here on out.

HTH.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:31 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

HTH.

No, just NO to cargo shorts! Why no man should wear cargo shorts - Business Insider

Old 05-19-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

HTH.

That’s awful. Cargo shorts are literally the worst possible shorts to wear. Unless you want to look like a middle aged suburban dad.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:43 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
I find that article unconvincing. I think cargo shorts have their place. I don't wear them much anymore but I don't think they necessarily look bad if they fit properly. And they're very practical since men sometimes need extra pockets. I find them very useful when I fly since I have to carry more stuff and the extra pockets come in handy.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:35 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
I like light, bright colors of shirts on guys, as well as more traditional blues, browns, greys, greens. I try to get my DH to wear more colors on top. But I'm not a fan of bright colored pants and shorts, a la Ricky Fowler. Too clownish. Pants for guys look better to me in more traditional colors, like dark blue, grey, tan, brown, khaki, or off-white.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:37 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
That’s awful. Cargo shorts are literally the worst possible shorts to wear. Unless you want to look like a middle aged suburban dad.
But I like middle age suburban dads!

Old 05-20-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
But I like middle age suburban dads!
They are nice, but not the best fashion inspiration.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:22 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
I can't help it, I was laugh-snorting through that entire article.

This is a picture from the article. They are promoting the guy on the right.

Quote:
But there is a solution! It goes by the name chino shorts. They're pocket-less, generally shorter, and just all-around slimmer and more flattering. And they're not any less comfortable, either.
wtf is wrong with pockets???

I mean... come on, now. And "slimmer and more flattering"?

The guy on the left has actual muscles in his legs and he has pockets for carrying a multitude of useful things.
The guy on the right doesn't really look like he would be prepared AT ALL for a zombie apocalypse.
I mean sorry but I'd go with the guy on the left. The last thing you want during a zombie apocalypse is some pocketless guy who is too worried about how slimming and flattering his shorts are, slowing you down.

Quote:
The second issue: The actual cargo pockets themselves are unflattering.

What are you even putting in those pockets? You're most likely not a carpenter building a dresser in your spare time. You don't need space for measuring tape.
wha...?? lol.

Yeah, I can say, without a doubt, the guy who wrote this article probably doesn't even know how to USE a measuring tape.

Quote:
A gentleman does not wear shorts that cover the knees. Some claim that a gentleman never wears shorts at all. We wouldn't go that far, but if you're covering your knees, you're not bold enough to be a man in shorts in the first place.
Dude, you don't even know how to use a measuring tape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty