Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 08:34 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
It might be more competitive if you know the brand. I've bought a few clothing items that are sized wrong or had the Chinese sizing. I don't care about brand so much, but I do like variety or want a specific color and it is easier to look there. I find Amazon's pricing all over the place.

Ebay has never resonated with me. I guess I knew too many Ebay sellers. I've gone and looked, but never purchased anything from that site.
As for eBay I only buy clothing there if there is a style from a past seasonal collection that I can't find anywhere else, plus I would not buy designer brands from eBay due to the risk of counterfeits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 11:30 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Lately, it seems like with a lot of the clothing that I like, Amazon's pricing has become more competitive with brick and mortar retailers, even when using coupons in the latter. And it seems that Amazon has been carrying more of the styles that I like in Fairy Tale pink this spring before everyone else, and now that some time has passed since they have been released, Amazon sometimes gives some discounts on them that I can buy them as gifts for other people (such as for Father's Day).

So, has anyone noticed that Amazon's pricing on clothing has become more competitive lately?

Yes and not just clothing. I've noticed a big increase on quite a few items including items I had purchased as when I've gone to repurchase items there were some items with more than 40% increase in price. There are still great bargains to be had, but, I'm finding the pricing on items I'm looking for quite similar to brick and mortar stores lately.

I know they also have a tendency to track your buying history and sometimes charge you higher pricing accordingly, so it's recommended to set your browser to anonymous, but, seems they've found ways around that.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Yes and not just clothing. I've noticed a big increase on quite a few items including items I had purchased as when I've gone to repurchase items there were some items with more than 40% increase in price. There are still great bargains to be had, but, I'm finding the pricing on items I'm looking for quite similar to brick and mortar stores lately.

I know they also have a tendency to track your buying history and sometimes charge you higher pricing accordingly, so it's recommended to set your browser to anonymous, but, seems they've found ways around that.
By more competitive I mean comparable to lower. In the past for clothing Amazon's prices used to be higher than brick and mortar retailers at least with the clothes that I buy. Now prices are comparable or lower, and when you factor in shipping or gas money Amazon will often be the better value.

Now with premium brands I don't have any experiences since I typically don't buy those brands.

And actually, personalized pricing on Amazon is a myth, and Amazon has confirmed itself that all its customers see the same prices. Personalized pricing was experimented back in 2000, but was rescinded due to a large outcry and hasn't returned ever since. Amazon is more dynamic with specific options; for example you can see the price for an item fluctuate multiple times per day, but two different customers will never see two different prices at the exact same time on the same day.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 06-06-2018 at 01:43 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 03:47 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
By more competitive I mean comparable to lower. In the past for clothing Amazon's prices used to be higher than brick and mortar retailers at least with the clothes that I buy. Now prices are comparable or lower, and when you factor in shipping or gas money Amazon will often be the better value.

Now with premium brands I don't have any experiences since I typically don't buy those brands.

And actually, personalized pricing on Amazon is a myth, and Amazon has confirmed itself that all its customers see the same prices. Personalized pricing was experimented back in 2000, but was rescinded due to a large outcry and hasn't returned ever since. Amazon is more dynamic with specific options; for example you can see the price for an item fluctuate multiple times per day, but two different customers will never see two different prices at the exact same time on the same day.

Good to know, I'll have to look for that memo, since my research pulled up opposite info, but, I'll look again. I have had different results using the private window and shopping with my usual browsing account. Some times the price is the same quite a few times for things I normally shop for it varied quite a bit.

Yes, true about the pricing and meaning or it being more competitive, guess my rankers of it going the opposite direction for many of the things I buy just got the best of me.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:51 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I recently purchased a pair of Ugg boots at a local store but not that local. I liked them. Whenever I find expendable stuff like this I like to buy a second pair and just leave them in the box. I do the same with my white Reebok walkers.

So I liked the Uggs and found the exact same pair on Amazon for a bit lower in price. Not significant but it was cheaper to buy Amazon Prime and there was gas to drive 20 miles and back. So I bought the second pair of Uggs and they're still in the box after I trial wore them around the house.

The way I work it I start out with one for wear and one in the box. When the wear pair star looking a bit worn I drag out the second pair. The new pair is for dates only, the used pair is for shopping, errands, going out with my homeys.

As the date pair starts wearing to used and the used pair start looking sick (and not in a good way) I demote the old pair to work shoes, demote the date pair to casual, and go shopping to replace the date pair with new stuff which then becomes my date stuff.

This doesn't work with cowboy boots. If they wear at all on dates you don't own enough cowboy boots. I've had trouble identifying the exact brand of the boots I wear on Amazon. Anyway I have a really good western wear store nearby and really like the owners.

So for shoes you have a brand, model # and size, if you want more of the same as replacement then Amazon wins on convenience alone, and is usually less expensive even if not by much.

I hope this isn't a fashion faux pas but for casual wear I find you just can't beat Walmart. Yes I know it's Chinese and won't last long, but it is so cheap. Walmart is my music and funny saying t-shirt central, them and Spencer's Gifts, which has better quality at higher price. I'll have to check Amazon for same brands.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I hope this isn't a fashion faux pas but for casual wear I find you just can't beat Walmart. Yes I know it's Chinese and won't last long, but it is so cheap. Walmart is my music and funny saying t-shirt central, them and Spencer's Gifts, which has better quality at higher price. I'll have to check Amazon for same brands.
From Walmart and Target I typically only buy basic needs such as socks, underwear, and some T-shirts. For polo shirts, button-down shirts, and nicer T-shirts, I typically prefer mid-range brands such as IZOD. However, premium brands such as Polo Ralph Lauren are typically out of my price range.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:38 PM

There's also Nordstrom Rack where you can get as much as 50% off, for excess stock they decided to eject. One opened near me recently.

You're right, Walmart is my go-to place for socks, underwear. I'm talking junk t-shirts that I expect will last only a few dozen wearings, and for like $4.99 each. I also buy Levi and similar stuff there, pocket/button shirts and jeans. I fully understand this is cheap Chinese stuff.

I get the best t-shirts at Spencer's Gifts in many malls around here.

I'm a boot addict. I spend my money on my boots! Lucchese!

Old 06-09-2018, 10:23 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
The one thing I will not buy online. Clothing needs to be tried on, women need to feel the fabric.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
The one thing I will not buy online. Clothing needs to be tried on, women need to feel the fabric.
Brands that I don't know the fit I would prefer to try them in person. Note that Amazon has launched Prime Wardrobe, which if you are unsure about particular clothing you can have several shipped to you and keep the ones you want, and return the others without any risk to your Amazon account.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Don't buy new stuff. Buy second or more of brand/product you are familiar with. Like you have your favorite blue jeans brand and cut, and your size. You know that combination fits you, you can safely buy different colors and be likely to get stuff you want.

It's not like grazing at Nordstrom where you buy totally new things every purchase.

I buy specialty t-shirts all the time online, and baseball caps.

Quote:
Brands that I don't know the fit I would prefer to try them in person. Note that Amazon has launched Prime Wardrobe, which if you are unsure about particular clothing you can have several shipped to you and keep the ones you want, and return the others without any risk to your Amazon account.
That's interesting. Amazon is funny, if you keep a really sharp look at deals you can really make out. And they are doing new stuff all the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty