Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 08:49 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Well stated. Sure is disturbing how people will attack this woman because she is white.
She's not "white". She's a New Zealander. Identity is defined by your citizenship, not by shade of skin. If I tan, does my identity change over the summer? No it doesn't.

By identifying her as white, you're only emboldening the racists who attacked her for "appropriating" something. She's a New Zealander, the Maori are New Zealanders as well. It's all the same culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 04:37 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
You completely missed my point.

If you read the comments, there are numerous white Americans taking this a little too personally because they subconsciously imagine themselves in her shoes and are indignant. But they would never be in her shoes, because we're talking about two different cultures. What happens in New Zealand does not happen in America, and vice-versa.

Yes, we do have the cultural appropriation debate here, but it involves an entirely different host culture. Apples and oranges.

FWIW, I think the whole cultural appropriation thing is dumb. Cultures change all the time and everyone has the liberty to dress, eat or behave the way they feel, as well as pick the identity they want.
I wonder who was the first white dude who tatted up a “tribal” tattoo? Go to any party area and you see tons of people with “tribal” tattoos. All white people. I bet 99% have no real ancestry in any South Pacific tribe. Some people are upset because a white woman put some markings on her body that are normally used in some ethnic tribal ritual or purpose. I would think tattooing your face is more of a issue than what you tattooed on there.
It would be like me getting upset because someone tattooed a Roman centurion on their body with Roman numerals.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:04 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
You completely missed my point.

If you read the comments, there are numerous white Americans taking this a little too personally because they subconsciously imagine themselves in her shoes and are indignant. But they would never be in her shoes, because we're talking about two different cultures. What happens in New Zealand does not happen in America, and vice-versa.

Yes, we do have the cultural appropriation debate here, but it involves an entirely different host culture. Apples and oranges.

FWIW, I think the whole cultural appropriation thing is dumb. Cultures change all the time and everyone has the liberty to dress, eat or behave the way they feel, as well as pick the identity they want.
Rachel Dolezal would have agreed with you before she was denied the right to be who she wanted to be.

"Cultural Appropriation" is alive and well in the United States.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:04 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times
Here in Los Angeles, I see Chinese Americans eating at In-N-Out, that most quintessentially "Anglo American" of West Coast fast-food chains.

A Mexican bakery I go to on occasion bakes and sells Black Forest (as in German) cake, German chocolate cake and apple strudels, all of which are German or Austrian in origin!

I see Indians (from India) enjoying noon tea at a British-themed shop in Santa Monica.

People of all nationalities enjoy the Jewish kosher bakeries along Ventura Blvd.

I see Mexicans eating hummus and falafel in Middle Eastern-themed dining places.

I don't go to church often, but when I do, it's an Episcopal church (i.e. that most "British" and WASP of religious institutions) and I see Chinese Americans, Latinos, Indians, etc.

The whole "cultural appropriation" was the most farcical idea the Left came up with and most normal people think of it as just stupid. Because it is.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I thought tattoo threads were not allowed here????? This one should be closed, too.
Probably because it is about opinions on cultural appropriation versus opinions on tattoos.

Why it is in this forum versus P&OC, though, remains a mystery.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:02 AM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
She’s the only one who truly knows her motives for doing this to herself. I have my own suspicions.
I think it’s god awful ugly ON HER and I couldn’t possible take her seriously enough to hand over my money to her.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:13 PM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A New Zealand life coach has been taken to task over her controversial face tattoo, which she has been accused of using to help boost her business.

Sally Anderson, who runs a firm called Evolved Leadership, had a traditional Maori “moko kauae” tattooed on her chin several years ago as a symbol of hardship after she was sexually assaulted as a teenager in the 1980s.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/whit...095749296.html
Paul Simon, the folk singer, was accused of "appropriating" South African music (link, excerpt below):

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian
Paul Simon's Graceland: the acclaim and the outrage. This time, he had been even bolder, recording several of the tracks in South Africa with black musicians who were then little-known in the west. But as Simon knew all too well, this was a highly controversial move, because South Africa was still a white-run apartheid state, and many other western musicians were playing an active role in trying to bring the system to an end.
An inclusive, diverse world includes appreciation of other cultures, not ignorance.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:43 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Here in Los Angeles, I see Chinese Americans eating at In-N-Out, that most quintessentially "Anglo American" of West Coast fast-food chains.

A Mexican bakery I go to on occasion bakes and sells Black Forest (as in German) cake, German chocolate cake and apple strudels, all of which are German or Austrian in origin!

I see Indians (from India) enjoying noon tea at a British-themed shop in Santa Monica.

People of all nationalities enjoy the Jewish kosher bakeries along Ventura Blvd.

I see Mexicans eating hummus and falafel in Middle Eastern-themed dining places.

I don't go to church often, but when I do, it's an Episcopal church (i.e. that most "British" and WASP of religious institutions) and I see Chinese Americans, Latinos, Indians, etc.

The whole "cultural appropriation" was the most farcical idea the Left came up with and most normal people think of it as just stupid. Because it is.

Yeah.. I think they call that the 'melting pot'.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:45 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Remember the movie, "Stop The World, I Want To Get Off"?

Old 05-31-2018, 03:05 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I wonder who was the first white dude who tatted up a “tribal” tattoo? Go to any party area and you see tons of people with “tribal” tattoos. All white people. I bet 99% have no real ancestry in any South Pacific tribe. Some people are upset because a white woman put some markings on her body that are normally used in some ethnic tribal ritual or purpose. I would think tattooing your face is more of a issue than what you tattooed on there.
It would be like me getting upset because someone tattooed a Roman centurion on their body with Roman numerals.
When my eldest son was in h.s. he wanted a tattoo. We were an Army family stationed at Ft. Knox and I have native Hawaiian blood. I told him if he wanted one he could research for an Hawaiian tattoo that was significant to him and he could get it during our next trip to Hawaii.

The catch was that it had to be done in the traditional manner - much longer, much more painful and a lot more expensive.

He did the research, found the artist he wanted, saved his money and spilled his blood to get it. His Dad and I were good with it and his tattoo story was way better than the other kids at Ft. Knox h.s.

Traditions matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty